Commercial multi add on

philly3229

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
phillyman
hi guys-

I recently passed my CASEL test. I am instrument rated. I have started my multi training for the add on. I have two questions.

1. In the PTS one of the maneuvers I see is accelerated stalls. Does anyone remember having to do this for their commercial multi add on? I know I did it on my single engine commercial ride but just wondering. I see it in the PTS but my instructor hasn't mentioned it.

2. This is a bit of a strange question. I am only wondering for my own knowledge. I am instrument rated. One of the requirements in the PTS for commercial multi add on is engine failure on reference to instruments and one engine approach on sole reference to instrument. I am just wondering , if CASEL pilot didn't hold an instrument rating, could they still do this multi add on ? Or is an instrument rating required to do the commercial multi add on? Just wondering about this. Because I know you can get your commercial in a single engine plane without your instrument rating (just comes with limitations ) so I am wondering if this instrument part of the multi add on is REQUIRED or if a commercial pilot who didn't hold an instrument rating could still do the multi add on and simply be restricted commercially in the multi like he or she would be in a single engine plane. I realize the instrument part of the commercial multi add on is required when you're instrument rated in order to demonstrate you have instrument proficiency in a multi. Just wonderin.

Thanks so much.

Phil

I did accelerated stalls on my multi add on check ride. You only have to do the single engine approach if you have your IR and want it added to your muti.

Phil, My understanding is that you can knock out your instrument multi and multi-commercial in the same ride. So, it's worth the single engine approach, I'mathinkin.

If you don't do the instrument approach on your commercial multi checkride you're limited to VFR only, of course. If you the go and get your instrument rating in a single engine aircraft later, you'll need to go back up in a multi and fly a OEI approach in order for the instrument privileges to convey to your multi rating. Otherwise you could do--as another poster suggested--your instrument rating checkride in a multiengine aircraft and that would cover you for single engine too.

Thanks for all the replies! Just to be clear- I am instrument rated and plan on doing the instrument portion on multi commercial add on ride. I just thought it was funny in the PTS it just assumes that this pilot going for commercial multi add on HAS their instrument. I guess most commercial single engine pilots do. But seems like they should clarify that you can get your commercial multi add on without an instrument rating.

Accelerated stall is kinda standard issue ride air work for everything past your initial CPL.

Back