Commercial maneuvers in an SR20

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Finally wrapped up my IR a few weeks ago in the usual run of crappy C172's. Decided to treat myself to some Cirrus time as a school I flew with last year just picked up a 2015 SR20. Air conditioning, Perspective panel, etc. The fellow that runs the school likes to deeply discount new aircraft for a bit so the rate, $125/hr dry, is too appealing to pass up. The only glass time I have was in a light sport with Dynon panels back in 2011 and I have no Cirrus time at all.

I've done now about 3 hours dual of the 5 required to rent it solo. We have been working on commercial maneuvers. I, obviously, have no experience in this a/c and little doing the maneuvers and the CFII has not done them in the Cirrus.

And words of wisdom are welcome.

IMG_20180831_160504333.jpg

The maneuvers aren’t aircraft specific so just pretend you are in a 152.

I am a flight instructor primarily teaching in Cirrus aircraft. There's nothing exceedingly special about doing commercial maneuvers in them over a 172, you just have to be paying attention because a nose down attitude will have you picking up speed a bit faster.

I am a flight instructor primarily teaching in Cirrus aircraft. There's nothing exceedingly special about doing commercial maneuvers in them over a 172, you just have to be paying attention because a nose down attitude will have you picking up speed a bit faster.
^^^^^this^^^^^^

Ask me how I know but it was in a Mooney. I was practicing Lazy-8's and was slow coming off the power over the top, focused on keeping the ball centered, once it pointed down it was in the yellow arc screaming towards VNE like a hot knife through butter.

Just remember that a properly executed chandelle will be entered from straight and level flight at normal cruise speed and exited at a higher altitude, on the reciprocal of the initial heading, and at parachute deployment speed.

^^^^^this^^^^^^

Ask me how I know but it was in a Mooney. I was practicing Lazy-8's and was slow coming off the power over the top, focused on keeping the ball centered, once it pointed down it was in the yellow arc screaming towards VNE like a hot knife through butter.

The amount of power is supposed to remain constant during the entire maneuver. You could try a lower power setting to start off with.

Just remember that a properly executed chandelle will be entered from straight and level flight at normal cruise speed and exited at a higher altitude, on the reciprocal of the initial heading, and at parachute deployment speed.

Do I pull the red handle as part of the maneuver? Is that what that horn means?

The amount of power is supposed to remain constant during the entire maneuver. You could try a lower power setting to start off with.
Can you give a reference on that? I was taught to increase power when starting a chandelle, and a min radius turn actually has to be done at full power to get the max G and critical angle of attack. (Note max power in light GA planes, military and acro can have power that exceeds the planes max angle and can therefore have very negative consequences)

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Can you give a reference on that? I was taught to increase power when starting a chandelle, and a min radius turn actually has to be done at full power to get the max G and critical angle of attack. (Note max power in light GA planes, military and acro can have power that exceeds the planes max angle and can therefore have very negative consequences)

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to Lazy 8s.

Great little airplane, especially when you are zinging along at 150+ tas at 8,000 ft (on a good day). The perspective system has a learning curve to it, consider that and do an IFR transition course if you want to fly in the crud. The cirrus learning portal has some great stuff and the FOM is well done. I love the 20.

Chute pull required for power off 180.
Correct. This tests the pilot’s ability to judge wind and manage energy to pull the handle at the right moment so as to land within 200 feet after the selected winery.

Correct. This tests the pilot’s ability to judge wind and manage energy to pull the handle at the right moment so as to land within 200 feet after the selected winery.

I thought you would want to land next to a Starbucks? Aren't the locations of Starbucks programmed into the Perspective's "Nearest" function for just that reason?

A chandelle is a maximum performance, 180° climbing turn that begins from approximately straight-and-level flight and concludes with the airplane in a wings-level, nose-high attitude just above stall speed. [Figure 9-3] The goal is to gain the most altitude possible for a given bank angle and power setting; however, the standard used to judge the maneuver is not the amount of altitude gained, but by the pilot’s proficiency as it pertains to maximizing climb performance for the power and bank selected, as well as the skill demonstrated.

And Vpd and VS in a Cirrus are what values?

Back