Commercial knowledge test

Witmo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Commercial test expired after the two year date so I had to spring for a new one. Didn't have a singe ADF question but I must have had around six questions on determining the time enroute to a VOR by turning (10 degrees) off course and timing how long it takes to center the CDI. Some questions even asked to use the procedure and take it a step further and determine fuel to the station. I've been flying for thirty years and have never needed this stupid procedure and if I were IFR, I certainly wouldn't exceed the airway's limits. I'm just curious, has anyone ever used the procedure for determining time to a vor by turning off course and timing? You would think that the commercial test would have some questions on the privileges and requirements for exercising commercial privileges--not a single question (100 question test).

They have to have a few ridiculously outdated questions so you don't score a perfect 100%.;)

They have to have a few ridiculously outdated questions so you don't score a perfect 100%.;)
That's pretty much guaranteed by the questions that have no correct answer (pick the least incorrect) or the ones that have more than one correct answer (crap shoot). It's little wonder the FAA doesn't want to release their questions, they're probably tired of having them critiqued. At the conclusion of the test, it's graded and you can see the questions missed (but not the answers, correct or otherwise) so in order to critique a question, you have to do it from memory. If the question is one which is on a trial basis and doesn't count in your score, you'll never know. I know people complained about the ADF being tested and the FAA has listened and removed those questions from the database but the ADF/NDB is still around and I, personally, don't have heartburn requiring a commercial pilot to know how to use it. I don't see how an arcane timing procedure makes the cut however. I can think of a host of subject areas and questions that a commercial pilot needs to be familiar with a lot more than these time to station questions.

I've used it, but not for VORs.

It's a real nice way to get a distance to an ELT. Bearing is easy. Really easy with DF, not as hard as you might think without one. Distance is not at all easy.

Took mine today. Think I had 1 maybe 2 adf questions and a what seemed like a bunch of questions using the landing distance. Might if only been a couple but anytime I have to use the charts I'm sure to mess it up.

Although using Shepard for the first one I wish I would of done for the last 2 ratings.

The test preps are great but sometimes when the actual test come your amazed by all the new or unused questions.
I recently took the CAX (96%) and thought it was very fair. Stuff that you should know if your taking a "commercial" pilot exam. Lots of chart questions, but I found it way easier than the IRA test.

Commercial test expired after the two year date so I had to spring for a new one. Didn't have a singe ADF question but I must have had around six questions on determining the time enroute to a VOR by turning (10 degrees) off course and timing how long it takes to center the CDI. Some questions even asked to use the procedure and take it a step further and determine fuel to the station. I've been flying for thirty years and have never needed this stupid procedure and if I were IFR, I certainly wouldn't exceed the airway's limits. I'm just curious, has anyone ever used the procedure for determining time to a vor by turning off course and timing? You would think that the commercial test would have some questions on the privileges and requirements for exercising commercial privileges--not a single question (100 question test).
Wow. That sounds like the old 'angle off the bow' ship navigation questions.

Interesting way to 'update' the test bank.

Back