Commercial before Instrument rating?

jmarine225

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jmarine225
I currently have logged approximately 180 hours. I have nearly completed all of my part 141 instrument school and requirements, but it's been awhile since I've gone through the training. I plan on installing a new IFR GPS in the plane, then finishing my IFR in my own aircraft. While I'm waiting for that, as most avionics shops here in the northeast are booked beyond belief, what are the thoughts of completing my commercial in my own aircraft, before receiving my IFR rating?

I currently have logged approximately 180 hours. I have nearly completed all of my part 141 instrument school and requirements, but it's been awhile since I've gone through the training. I plan on installing a new IFR GPS in the plane, then finishing my IFR in my own aircraft. While I'm waiting for that, as most avionics shops here in the northeast are booked beyond belief, what are the thoughts of completing my commercial in my own aircraft, before receiving my IFR rating?

Depends if you can meet the TAA or complex requirement in your airplane. If you're getting an avionics upgrade, I doubt it's TAA. What are you flying? What did you fly at the 141 school? Read up on 61.129.

Depends if you can meet the TAA or complex requirement in your airplane. If you're getting an avionics upgrade, I doubt it's TAA. What are you flying? What did you fly at the 141 school? Read up on 61.129.
I met the complex requirements. Have around 25 hours in an Arrow logged.

I'm more or less asking for opinions on it, not the rules or requirements.

A lot of ag pilots have a commercial certificate without an instrument rating, so it's not uncommon. If you plan to need a commercial certificate someday, then I'd say go for it. Might as well stay sharp flying.

Check to make sure your instrument training was logged in such a way as to conform with commercial requirements. You might find yourself repeating some of the instrument training if it wasn't.

Definitely not a bad idea, especially if you’re wanting your new avionics to finish your instrument training. (A good reason to wait for that, IMO)

I did my Commercial first, and I’m none the worse for wear. Even though I had to carry two certificates around to hold all of my Limitations. ;) (not just the ones for a VFR Commercial)

What’s the purpose of the rating?

I guess the flip side is why would you wait until after you finish the instrument?

My contribution here is the idea that the longer you wait for the IR check ride, the quicker the training goes stale. Minimize your IR training investment loss by renting and getting it done. IF it's been so long that it's already so stale you need to essentially start over, then I guess getting your commercial now won't hurt.

You and I are similar in that we're looking for something to do in retirement. Are you thinking of training (CFI), or getting paid for flying commercial (pipeline, jumpers, transporting paying customers, etc.)?

I'm more or less asking for opinions on it, not the rules or requirements.
Com. is relatively easy to get..but don't let that be a pre-curser to sluff off...I'd go for the Instrument first..your flying skills/ radio will be so much more improved afterwards it will make getting the Com. much easier.

PS I recently found an excellent web site called http://ATC Clearance.com which has audio files you can click on to sharpen your clearance copying skills...several skill levels, from beginner to expert geared more for improving your alpha numeric reflexes as they called...its a py for..I think i paid $25 for it...worth it IMHO

Back