Commander 114-Experienced CFI Needed in SoCal

lovetwinprops

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
lovetwinprops
Hi-

I'm about to become a co-owner of a beautiful 1978 Commander 114!
biggrin.gif
The pre-buy inspection took place this past Thursday and didn't reveal any deal-killers, so I hope the purchase will be completed this week or at the latest, next week.

Because of my low hours in complex & high-performance airplanes, plus very little time in make and model (no landings or take-offs), the insurance carrier is going to require me to have flight time with an instructor. The insurance agent said that the CFI will need to meet the same experience requirements as any other pilot who is permitted by the owners to borrow or fly the plane, though the numbers aren't hard and fast. (IOW, the insurance carrier *might* say okay if the numbers are good but not quite up to what the policy says.)

Do any of you know or know of a CFI in Southern California who meets or comes close to the below numbers AND would be willing to drive to Brackett Airport (KPOC) to give the instruction? Specifically, they need at least:

Total time - 500 logged PIC hours, of which
***** 100 hours are in tricycle gear retractable aircraft
***** 25 hours are in a Commander 114

Please let me know. Thanks!

Gerry

Congratulations! I've been looking at Commanders. Keep posting so I can learn from you!

Congratulations! I've been looking at Commanders. Keep posting so I can learn from you!

Thanks, I'm very excited! I'm early in my learning stages, so I'd suggest you go to http://www.commander.org and join. The annual fee is $75, but you can get a FREE membership with access to the public forums. After you've decided, or as I did, after you find a Commander and complete the pre-buy inspection, then you can pay the $75 for full site access.

Gerry

Why is the insurance company asking for time in a Commander 114 specifically? I'm only asking because it's a plane that I would believe you would have a hard time finding someone easily. I know it isn't that many hours, but it isn't like it's a 182 RG or something with more out there. I would think they'd ask for an instructor with HP and complex.

BTW, I love the look of the Commander's. A guy near me has a beautiful 114.

Hi-

I'm about to become a co-owner of a beautiful 1978 Commander 114!
biggrin.gif
The pre-buy inspection took place this past Thursday and didn't reveal any deal-killers, so I hope the purchase will be completed this week or at the latest, next week.

Because of my low hours in complex & high-performance airplanes, plus very little time in make and model (no landings or take-offs), the insurance carrier is going to require me to have flight time with an instructor. The insurance agent said that the CFI will need to meet the same experience requirements as any other pilot who is permitted by the owners to borrow or fly the plane, though the numbers aren't hard and fast. (IOW, the insurance carrier *might* say okay if the numbers are good but not quite up to what the policy says.)

Do any of you know or know of a CFI in Southern California who meets or comes close to the below numbers AND would be willing to drive to Brackett Airport (KPOC) to give the instruction? Specifically, they need at least:

Total time - 500 logged PIC hours, of which
***** 100 hours are in tricycle gear retractable aircraft
***** 25 hours are in a Commander 114

Please let me know. Thanks!

Gerry

Finding a CFI with a good amount of experience in a commander 114, that's going to be a pickle.

Ask the insurance CO if you could log some hours with a existing non CFI pilot, and just go up with the other owner.

When I bought my 185 amphib, I had a ton of hours, just very few amphib hours and only like one flight in a 185 which was just on wheels. The insurance CO said to get a checkout flight with a CFI with time in a 185 amphib, well ended up like looking for hens teeth. I wanted to get the plane home and be insured doing it, so I just did a Hail Mary and asked the insurance folks if the old owner could check me out, they OKed it, saving me a decent sized PITA.

Congrats on your new Commander! Wonderful airplanes. I recommend joining the commander.org forum and posting a request there for a CFI in your area.

Congrats on the new plane! Give Fly Corona a call. Im pretty sure that one of them has that amount of time in a commander. And they are all extremely knowegable

Gerry,

Nice! You've picked the best-looking plane out there (I used to own its little brother - a 112A).

Have you asked on the commander.org board? I can't believe they wouldn't be able to hook you up. The $75 is worth it.

Gerry,

Nice! You've picked the best-looking plane out there (I used to own its little brother - a 112A).

Have you asked on the commander.org board? I can't believe they wouldn't be able to hook you up. The $75 is worth it.

Just curious - why did you sell the 112A?

Congrats! Great plane - I've loved my 112TC, but it's on the market now, time to part with her. I simply don't fly it enough to stay current and justify the expense. Wonderful IFR plane.

Why is the insurance company asking for time in a Commander 114 specifically? I'm only asking because it's a plane that I would believe you would have a hard time finding someone easily.

BTW, I love the look of the Commander's. A guy near me has a beautiful 114.

There are several folks out west that own 114's - if you're in a partnership, who is your partner using? The 112-series is similar, but lower power and (in some versions) different wings, so I can see why they'd want a 114 instructor. BTW, the 115 is an updated version of the 114, so if you can find someone with time in the 115, that works, too.

Might be worth a call to Judi Anderson to see if she can recommend someone.

Thanks so much to you all for the feedback, suggestions, and anticipatory congratulations! (ACTUAL congratulations will be effective at about 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time tomorrow, Thursday 9/3/15. :D :yes: :D )

I've had a free membership in the Commander Owners Group for almost 4 months now. As soon as the pre-buy inspection took place last Thursday and didn't find any deal-killers, I joined as a paid member. I absolutely did post my request for CFI suggestions there, as well as here.

One of the Southern California members suggested a CFI who is a captain at a major airline, a super-duper master CFI, and has Commander time (112, not 114). However, he wants $75 per hour for ground and flight instruction, and I'm not sure I want to pay that much. A few other possibilities have been directed my way, and I'll be looking into those as well.

Again, thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'm very excited!

Gerry

Last edited:
Just one man's opinion...pay the dude what he wants...I say that because I believe the insight you will gain from this man's experience will stick with you throughout your flying days.

Thanks so much to you all for the feedback, suggestions, and anticipatory congratulations! (ACTUAL congratulations will be effective at about 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time tomorrow, Thursday 9/3/15. :D :yes: :D )

I've had a free membership in the Commander Owners Group for almost 4 months now. As soon as the pre-buy inspection took place last Thursday and didn't find any deal-killers, I joined as a paid member. I absolutely did post my request for CFI suggestions there, as well as here.

Once of the Southern California members suggested a CFI who is a captain at a major airline, a super-duper master CFI, and has Commander time (112, not 114). However, he wants $75 per hour for ground and flight instruction, and I'm not sure I want to pay that much. A few other possibilities have been directed my way, and I'll be looking into those as well.

Again, thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'm very excited!

Gerry

Just one man's opinion...pay the dude what he wants...I say that because I believe the insight you will gain from this man's experience will stick with you throughout your flying days.

That.

Plus supply and demand, not many high time CFIs, not many folks flying commanders, not many high time CFIs with experience in a commander.

I know many multi thousand hour CFIs who have never touched a commander in all that time, it's not like a Bo or a 182.

One of the Southern California members suggested a CFI who is a captain at a major airline, a super-duper master CFI, and has Commander time (112, not 114). However, he wants $75 per hour for ground and flight instruction, and I'm not sure I want to pay that much.

This sounds like my airplane partner (of 10+ years), Mike Jesch. If it is Mike you're being referred to (and I think I know who gave you the reference), he's worth every penny. He is an excellent instructor and all-around-good-guy.

Jeff

This sounds like my airplane partner (of 10+ years), Mike Jesch. If it is Mike you're being referred to (and I think I know who gave you the reference), he's worth every penny. He is an excellent instructor and all-around-good-guy.
Jeff

Yes, it is Mike. Thanks much for the positive review; that'll help with my decision-making.

Gerry

Back