Comm Mistake

FWIW I have a practice that works well for me. Use it or don't but just an idea.
I set comm 2 to my destination ATIS / tower and use Comm 1 as my working radio.

You don't monitor 121.5 in flight? I don't for short flights but for longer x-c's I do.

-Skip

Thought 21.5 was for air to air chit chat

Was this a real question?
Garmin 340 Audio Panel
Garmin 430 (not sure about WAAS)
Junk radio with active freq == 430 comm freq

So that Irish guy Mic1 is telling you who might hear you.

Don't worry about it, heck I've had ground on com 2 and tower on 1, watching the line guy and fat finger the com panel and end up calling up tower instead of ground, it happens

I have forgotten to switch from the company FM radio and try to call tower. Everyone in the company will hear that call......:confused::)

FWIW I have a practice that works well for me. Use it or don't but just an idea.
I set comm 2 to my destination ATIS / tower and use Comm 1 as my working radio.

So basically comm 2 is hands off once I am taxiing.
I mainly do this so I have 1 less task when I am prepping to land / enter the pattern and it leaves me with only 1 radio to mess with for other portions of taxi / flight.

I'm also in the camp where Com1 is for dialog and Com2 is for listen only.

I see people doing the 4 presets with the mic switch way and it just seems to be too much effort for me.

Ex: Contact Houston Center xxx.xx I have to see where my mic is set, change it to the other, load the standby freq of the "now active" radio, and switch it active? Seems like lots if extra button pushing.

KAPA has a special procedure to try to switch to Tower and accidentally get Ground instead?

That's one hell of a weird procedure.

No. He's being a goofball and trying to say that once in a while, like before 0800, Ground and Tower will share freq or one controller will work both. So, in those instances, switching to Tower would be the same as calling Ground.

like this? or would com2 light be off?
View attachment 46156
so this, with comm2 volume down?, ok, i'll have to not do that
If you sat there for 5 minutes(maybe it just felt like 5 minutes), I'm wondering why tower didn't come on with 'bugsmasher123 say intentions' on the radio you were monitoring. It may have clued you in that they couldn't hear you.

If you sat there for 5 minutes(maybe it just felt like 5 minutes), I'm wondering why tower didn't come on with 'bugsmasher123 say intentions' on the radio you were monitoring. It may have clued you in that they couldn't hear you.

I was broadcasting and listening on comm2 but I had comm 2 turned down and didn't know it. I thought I was broadcasting on comm 1. Maybe I should give up flying and take up knitting instead.

I long the day of aircraft ownership where all my comm and Nav settings are the same as I left them.

Wont happen if you have co-owners or a mechanic. Haha.

Just coming back to this thread to point out that you'll develop a system. Others have given theirs, mine is different.

If you go on to the Instrument you'll definitely want one or learn one, because farting around with radios takes up precious scan time. Putting specific things in specific radios as you go along becomes second nature.

As does actually setting them before the aircraft moves in the first place.

So between setting them the way you always use them before moving and then using them a specific way throughout the flight, you can catch mistakes easier.

This goes for Nav radios also. Setting up for a VOR to VOR XC is becoming a lost art somewhat though, with GPS.

And we've alllllll done it. It happens. :)

People forget to switch the radios or flip the flip flop all the time.

Sometimes even when you switch frequencies at lighter used facilities you get the same guy.

People forget to switch the radios or flip the flip flop all the time.

Sometimes even when you switch frequencies at lighter used facilities you get the same guy.
I've always wondered about this... Is there a different recorder for each freq? The things that make me go hmmm

I've always wondered about this... Is there a different recorder for each freq? The things that make me go hmmm

My info is dated, but generally the recorders were down in a telecom room below/behind the main portion of the facility. They were being converted to solid state stuff back then.

Whether or not the controller in the cab or radar facility back then had one frequency or ten frequencies selected at their station (they usually had the ability to both select almost anything to listen to and then also separate switches for transmit, besides the hoot and holler phone lines to various other facilities) didn't really make any difference in what got recorded where. The recorders were a one to one ratio with the transmit/receive loop.

Nowadays if they've come into the new century, it would be likely that it's all a bit "smarter" but I doubt much VOIP has been implemented anywhere but the transport of the circuts. The real challenge back then was every critical circuit needed a backup circuit that didn't take the same physical path from the facility to whereever the transmitter was located, since they're of course, often hundreds of miles away. Getting a redundant loop to a hut in the middle of nowhere was a pain in the ass. Usually the hard ones were done with a combination of wireline and wireless microwave fixed shots.

But that was all "outside plant" stuff. My company's gadgetry was used at the TRACONs and Centers for the conferencing of various back channel facilities together -- stuff like when all the NYC airports decide it's time to flip all the runways for a wind shift... They'd all jump on our box via a touchscreen thing that would conference all the supervisors together nearly instantly, so they could coordinate.

My info is dated, but generally the recorders were down in a telecom room below/behind the main portion of the facility. They were being converted to solid state stuff back then.

Whether or not the controller in the cab or radar facility back then had one frequency or ten frequencies selected at their station (they usually had the ability to both select almost anything to listen to and then also separate switches for transmit, besides the hoot and holler phone lines to various other facilities) didn't really make any difference in what got recorded where. The recorders were a one to one ratio with the transmit/receive loop.

Nowadays if they've come into the new century, it would be likely that it's all a bit "smarter" but I doubt much VOIP has been implemented anywhere but the transport of the circuts. The real challenge back then was every critical circuit needed a backup circuit that didn't take the same physical path from the facility to whereever the transmitter was located, since they're of course, often hundreds of miles away. Getting a redundant loop to a hut in the middle of nowhere was a pain in the ass. Usually the hard ones were done with a combination of wireline and wireless microwave fixed shots.

But that was all "outside plant" stuff. My company's gadgetry was used at the TRACONs and Centers for the conferencing of various back channel facilities together -- stuff like when all the NYC airports decide it's time to flip all the runways for a wind shift... They'd all jump on our box via a touchscreen thing that would conference all the supervisors together nearly instantly, so they could coordinate.

Thanks Nate!

I use Comm 1 for everything... it's the only one mounted in my plane... Comm 2 is in the flight bag and has been used since the #1 radio was acting up.. thinking it may be good to have 2 in the stack.

Who needs a comm? just wait for the light signal.

Doesn't always work either. I was temporary tower supervisor at an airshow in Evergreen AL in '85 I think when the airspace was closed for the airshow. Saw a Cub out to the east and he circles about 3-4 miles out all the way around the airport counter clockwise and lands to the north. The whole time I'm giving him the appropriate light signals not to land etc and transmitting on guard and tower freq but to no success. Poor guy taxied in and the FAA Rep was waiting. :(

Was this a real question?
Garmin 340 Audio Panel
Garmin 430 (not sure about WAAS)
Junk radio with active freq == 430 comm freq

So that Irish guy Mic1 is telling you who might hear you.

Hey, that KX155 is not the latest and greatest, but it is far from being "junk".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back