Coming to you in 2018 - KSXK

James_Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Eggman
I thought with all the talk of airport closures it might be good to introduce a brand new airport under construction. Our county has decided to consolidate KSOY and KORC in northwest Iowa and have put together the local, state, and federal funds to initiate the project. I'm pretty excited to have the new field four minutes from my house!

Dirt work for the first runway is nearly complete, the support buildings are under construction, and the MALSAR bidding is underway. Concrete will start next year and the facility will be open in early first half 2018.

https://youtu.be/ivxfrZZJsx8

Eggman

Attachments

• Airport Plan Sheets[1].pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 76
So based upon your use of the word consolidate, I assume when the new one is open that the other two will close. So a net loss of one airport, correct?

So based upon your use of the word consolidate, I assume when the new one is open that the other two will close. So a net loss of one airport, correct?

Yep. Trading two strips that are 10nm apart and have a 3,800 ft that is not ideally located and a 4,200 ft that is landlocked in the middle of town, neither with great approaches, for a 5,500 strip in the middle of the two. It has been pretty well supported by all stakeholders.

That does seem a reasonable solution. Are they building a sufficient amount of hangars?

That does seem a reasonable solution. Are they building a sufficient amount of hangars?

Enough individual T's and box hangars to accommodate more than what are based at both fields now. Several community hangars are planned for the turbine stuff and the charter operation.

Yep. Trading two strips that are 10nm apart and have a 3,800 ft that is not ideally located and a 4,200 ft that is landlocked in the middle of town, neither with great approaches, for a 5,500 strip in the middle of the two. It has been pretty well supported by all stakeholders.

Thanks for the local insights. I was wondering how the 1+1=1 equation was such a good thing.

C17 in Marion, Iowa is also expanding. Sits on the east side of the Cedar Rapids metro and has always been a privately owned public use airport but the city teamed up with a local developer (who has a Meridian based there) to buy out the owners. The city owns enough to classify it as publicly owned and thus open it up to public funding which has been paid into for decades without getting anything out of it (or at least that is what they told me when I was trying to get the new manager job).

They have already added some hangars and a new building for maintenance on the field. I believe they are currently working on tearing down the old crappy office to build a new one with future plans to widen the runway and add a cross wind runway and full length taxi ways (only paved surfaces are currently around the hangars.

Excellent news. The Conquest will have a nice home!

C17 in Marion, Iowa is also expanding. Sits on the east side of the Cedar Rapids metro and has always been a privately owned public use airport but the city teamed up with a local developer (who has a Meridian based there) to buy out the owners. The city owns enough to classify it as publicly owned and thus open it up to public funding which has been paid into for decades without getting anything out of it (or at least that is what they told me when I was trying to get the new manager job).

They have already added some hangars and a new building for maintenance on the field. I believe they are currently working on tearing down the old crappy office to build a new one with future plans to widen the runway and add a cross wind runway and full length taxi ways (only paved surfaces are currently around the hangars.

Wouldn't you say that a new runway at Marion would result in the present one becoming the crosswind runway? That is good news especially for those living on the East side of Cedar Rapids.

Wouldn't you say that a new runway at Marion would result in the present one becoming the crosswind runway? That is good news especially for those living on the East side of Cedar Rapids.

I guess that would be correct. Due to development on the west side of the airport it will have to be 09/27 configuration and be at least halfway if not farther to the south of 17/35

Enough individual T's and box hangars to accommodate more than what are based at both fields now. Several community hangars are planned for the turbine stuff and the charter operation.

Old hangar prices vs new hangar prices??????

Old hangar prices vs new hangar prices??????
I keep my conquest at a different airport run my the same people. $200/month for a community hangar with fueling and in/out services. I expect it to increase marginally.

Looks snazzy. 5500 and 4100ft runways.

From watching a local airport project progress, don't expect this to progress in a linear fashion. The FAA has a habit of maximizing cost by splitting this into 10 different phases with funding for the next phase only being put in for release once the inspections on the last phase are done.

Looks snazzy. 5500 and 4100ft runways.

From watching a local airport project progress, don't expect this to progress in a linear fashion. The FAA has a habit of maximizing cost by splitting this into 10 different phases with funding for the next phase only being put in for release once the inspections on the last phase are done.

That is how this is going. I don't expect the second runway anytime this decade. What is helping us the willingness of local business and govt to help fund. We did the Malsar with private money for example.

That is how this is going. I don't expect the second runway anytime this decade. What is helping us the willingness of local business and govt to help fund. We did the Malsar with private money for example.

Oh, the second runway is just in the plans because the FAA funding rules require it to be there if the met study doesn't show that they can make do with a single runway. It may not happen for another 20 years.

The phased funding madness is more disruptive when it comes to things like taxiways only being graded but not paved or the switching gear for the runway lights being put into a different phase than the runway lights themselves ;-)

The good thing is you are in gods country so you are less likely to see a shutdown because someone from 3 states over objected against the project because it harms the polar bears.

Do you think it will be open to handle the traffic for the 2020 presidential caucuses ;)

I keep my conquest at a different airport run my the same people. $200/month for a community hangar with fueling and in/out services. I expect it to increase marginally.

The benefits of living in a rural area. More than 2x that here for the T-hangar with no services, although it is a nice hangar. :)

I always thought that the primary runway was the one aligned with the prevailing winds and that the crosswind runway was one that was aligned with what would be considered a crosswind in relation to the normal prevailing winds and the primary runway. How would the new runway become the primary and the present one become the crosswind unless the present/original one is not aligned with the prevailing winds? If so, why was the original built that way? Seems odd.

How would the new runway become the primary and the present one become the crosswind unless the present/original one is not aligned with the prevailing winds? If so, why was the original built that way? Seems odd.

Probably because it lined up with a section line.

I always thought that the primary runway was the one aligned with the prevailing winds and that the crosswind runway was one that was aligned with what would be considered a crosswind in relation to the normal prevailing winds and the primary runway. How would the new runway become the primary and the present one become the crosswind unless the present/original one is not aligned with the prevailing winds? If so, why was the original built that way? Seems odd.

The present runway is north-south and the usual wind is from the west. I have no idea why the current runway is the way it is.

Marion.jpg

Last edited:

Probably because it was easier. I would say our prevailing winds are in the 250-330 range so the north south orientation is the easiest for small towns with little to no budget to have multiple runways just so one or both are into the prevailing winds. C17, IIB, MXO and C27 are all airports within very close range and the similar situation that have the same orientation.

3AU that I flew out of in KS was also 18/36. They were also in the expanding stage and in recent years had added an AWOS with plans for more hangars and a longer runway. That is probably on hold though as the airport manager was recently arrested for petty theft and false information. http://www.butlercountytimesgazette...-counts-filed-against-augusta-airport-manager

Iowa DOT must be pushing for consolidation of smaller airports. I know there was a plan to consolidate Pella (PEA) and Oskaloosa (OOA) into a single regional airport midway between the two.

Coming along nicely. Runway should be open 9/18 and approaches commissioned and lighting certified by 12/18.

DJI_0022.jpg

It looks real good from the plans. I think everybody's going to like it. I hope rents don't go way up though.

Have you bought up all the available hangar space yet..????

Change your display name to hangarman.....:lol::lol::lol:

Exciting to see the airport going up.

I’m almost amazed when I see new airport construction. That’s probably sad in and of itself, but lots more have closed than opened in my time flying. Even the place I soloed at is long dead.

I was flying over I think TN a few(3-4) years back. I looked down to see a nice newer airport, not in my GPS database/map. I figured I better get an update soon, which I did.

Nice that this new IA airport is coming along well. I'll put it on my list to visit.

I thought with all the talk of airport closures it might be good to introduce a brand new airport under construction. Our county has decided to consolidate KSOY and KORC in northwest Iowa and have put together the local, state, and federal funds to initiate the project. I'm pretty excited to have the new field four minutes from my house!

Dirt work for the first runway is nearly complete, the support buildings are under construction, and the MALSAR bidding is underway. Concrete will start next year and the facility will be open in early first half 2018.

Eggman

Makes up for the airports closed in Akron and Hawarden.

https://youtu.be/ivxfrZZJsx8
Eggman

My family grew up around there. Beresford SD, Rock Rapids IA, and Akron IA

I have to admit to being excited about it. I just completed a 2:30 flight and shot an approach to OVC003. The hour drive home SUCKS! I'm building a box hangar in 2019 at the new place and am beyond happy about it.

Back