Comical TFRs in the NYC Region

Justin M

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JM
There are so many TFRs in the NYC region right now!

Go to sky vector and plan a flight from kcdw to kmmu and then zoom out to see the overlapping orange and red circles.

<grin>

upload_2017-5-2_21-36-48.png

That's just all sorts of wrong.

Look at this russian doll in DC. They put a TFR into the middle of the FRZ.

TFR_russian_doll.jpg

The main result is that this is cutting of helo routes 1, 2 and 4 which are the way to get medevacs from south of DC to either hospital center or Georgetown. I am sure they'll route them over the city somehow, but you got to wonder what kind of safety threat a state police or private medevac helo represents for a baseball game.
TFR_helo_routes.jpg

I'm sure those medical helicopters will be talking to approach control. So that sports TFR won't be an issue.

I'm sure those medical helicopters will be talking to approach control. So that sports TFR won't be an issue.
If you've ever flown in a stadium TFR, you don't want to be taking medevacs through there. Traffic is nuts, and it's all low altitude and continuously maneuvering. But medevacs are usually exempt from TFRs of all types. Trust me, Stanford doesn't get shut down every time there is a game.

Yeah my home airport is one of those little punch holes on the southern edge of that TFR. Tell me why a TFR this extensive is needed especially when NYC is already one of the most closely controlled air spaces in the world?

Funny, the TFR to the west seems to center on a golf course. Owned by a former real estate magnate and bearing his name. What a surprise...

One of the TFRs in NYC is centered on the Intrepid museum, with its Intrepid aircraft carrier.

It's ironic that a museum devoted to flight has become a no-fly zone.

It's a minor inconvenience but nothing NYC isn't used to. The Bedminster thing could be annoying for some NJ airports if Trump decided to go there every weekend. For the broader rings it's a non issue for many pilots, especially those that can just file IFR. If you're on an IFR flight plan the outer ring effectively disappears.

Back