Comeback Pilot with Questions

INTJ

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
INTJ
I was a USAF pilot from 1983-2007. Between staff tours, medical issues, and non-flying combat HQ deployments; I would up with 3400ish hours in the C-130, T-38, and T-1. My last flight was Dec 2004 in a T-1. I left the service with Gulf War Syndrome so I thought my flying days were over, but a couple months ago I managed to get a special issue Class III--took about six months from the date of the flight physical. Next year I should be able to start flying again. I am currently in the middle of relocating right now and have no time with the current commute to work.

Since My USAF fini flight I have only touched the stick three times: an hour in a Stinson, 15 minutes in a Seminole, and 10 minutes in a CJ4; none of it logged. The good news is the flying skills are still there, though I DO need a refresher on the rules. I plan to take an online ground school to get back up to speed. I did get some FAA ratings along the way: Commercial, single and multi engine, instrument, L-382 (C-130) type. I should have got a type for the Beech 400 (T-1), but I didn't.

The civilian aircraft I have logged time in include: Tomahawk, Warrior, Archer, Mooney Executive, Tiger, Cherokee 140; though I don't remember much about any of them. I have 70 hours in SEL planes.

I am looking to buy a plane in the next year or two. I have considered a lot of options from homebuilts to light twins. I am settling in on high performance singles. I am leaning toward a low tail Lance, maybe a Saratoga. Trying to keep purchase price around $100k or less and expecting to spend about $1k a month for hangar, insurance, annual. If this is going to be anything other than a personal toy, it absolutely has to be comfortable to get in, sit in, and get out of--or the wife doesn't come along. Seems like the Lance/Saratoga win there.

While I like speed, I am not sure a turbo is worth the extra fuss and $20k more in overhaul to add 20 more kts. I am also still not sure I understand why the T-Tail pipers are such a huge negative. I soloed in a T-Tail Tomahawk and the T-1 has a T-Tail as well. It seems to me the individual quirks of each airframe type overwhelm where the tail is mounted, and 80-90 kt takeoff and landing speeds seem on the slow side for me anyway. Guess I just need to fly a T-Tail Lance...........

Questions:

1. Anyone have any idea what insurance would cost me? I have plenty of experience but recency is obviously bad.

2. Are turbo's REALLY that much more fussy to operate and more expensive to maintain?

3. What is a good online ground school?

4. What questions am I not considering?

5. Amy other comments?

Thanks,

Blaine

Welcome Blaine,

And thank you for your service.

Lots of airplane owners here so expect a lot of varied answers.

Only thing I can give any insight to is the turbo. I live at 6500 feet and the turbo is really appreciated on hot days. I do not find a turbo fussy. Just pay attention to the exhaust and cylinder head temperatures. I give the turbo 3 minutes as a minimum for shut down but you will find a lot of different opinions.

Good luck to ya on finding a plane, as you know, when momma ain't happy......

Welcome aboard, Blaine!

I can only speak to #3, I'm using the asa2fly online ground school and it's been good for me. I like the mix of material to read, video that supports the module you are on, practice questions, etc.

And thank you very much for your long service to our country.

Welcome Blaine! I think the Lance/Saratoga an excellent choice. Plenty of Rusty Pilot stuff online. I did one a few years ago from AOPA I think, but there's also Gleim, King, and many more. There's a fella on here who runs Gold Seal, think is goldseal.com. Others will comment on the insurance and more. Again welcome!

A turbo is more maintenance yes but I concur it is certainly not fussy. You have to pay a little more attention to power settings than a normally aspirated engine, as people tend to burn out turbocharged engines from driving them to hard, because they can. Otherwise it is very nice if you operate at high DA airports or do much mountain flying.

It sounds though like you have a lot of experience, and can bring a lot of insight in to the POA. Glad to have you here and look forward to hearing some of your stories.

I'd say find a good local flight school and rent a 172 for a few months while you look for a plane. Deal with the recency by flying, and maybe even using the rental to travel and look at airplanes. I'm guessing with 25 fresh hours and all your experience you'll have no problem with insurance beyond any mandatory dual time in the type you buy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on getting back in the saddle! I currently own a light twin but have a decent amount of time in both the Lance and Saratoga. Both were turbocharged and I flew the Lance (and C-401) for a company prior to my own AF career and I recently rented the Saratoga prior to buying a 310.

The Lance was a T-Tail and while it has differences, I agree with you in that I don't understand the apparent dislike of them. The Saratoga was newer (2000's) and was heavy. It had A/C and O2 that are detrimental to the useful load. Both great planes in my opinion if they fit your mission.

1. Anyone have any idea what insurance would cost me? I have plenty of experience but recency is obviously bad.
-Not sure but my twin is less than 2000 a year so I'd guess 1500ish. I was shocked but AOPA found me the best insurance.
2. Are turbo's REALLY that much more fussy to operate and more expensive to maintain?
-The lance required me to ensure with the throttle lever that I didn't over-boost it. The Saratoga was full forward and took care of it automatically. Easy breezy to operate them both. If you don't go up to the O2 levels though, in my opinion, it's a waste of money. Didn't maintain them so can't help there as my plane is normally aspirated.
3. What is a good online ground school?
-Never done a dedicated ground school but have done both king and sporty's courses and enjoy them both.
4. What questions am I not considering?
-None really, just get back up in the air and everything else will work it's self out. :)
5. Amy other comments?
-Before you buy a Lance/Toga do actual weight and balance's on them with the passengers/bags you plan on taking and the fuel you'll need. The toga as I mentioned above was very limited when you started putting people in the seats. Lot's of fuel had to be off-loaded. If it works for your normal mission you will be happy as they are great flying planes.

Turbos are really for flying high (oxygen needed) and going far (to bother with all that, short trips 10 minutes faster, so what). And yes, turbos need parts at least once in the engine time. I know a Cirrus owner and he figures a new turbo every 750 hours. Now thats him and how he flies. If you fly like I do, it would last longer (though my plane doesnt have a turbo). No real need for one IMO. Turbo will get you off the runway a bit sooner, but suprisingly, most seldom need that. If you're watching costs, its one you can eliminate.

Airplane ownership costs.

FIXED COSTS
Hangar
Insurance
Annual

HOURLY COSTS
Fuel
Oil
Maintenance (the big unknown but usually about the same as fuel burn)
Depreciation (aka engine time, difference between what you buy it for and what you sell it for in hours)

Good luck!

Last edited:
I think mscard's PoA account has been hacked. This is the second nice AND helpful post in 1 day.

Weird.

C'mon eman you know I'm on double secret probation. Have to be a good boy. It's so damn hard, more fun being bad. And I have the life experiences to prove it! :D

Last edited:
Commercial, single and multi engine, instrument, L-382 (C-130) type
Hi Blaine, welcome to POA. Looking forward to hearing stories of your flying experience. I have a cousin who flew B-52's and U-2's, he said he was done with flying nothing in the civilian world could match his UASF experiences. I feel sad for him, he lost the true feeling of why I own and fly.

On an other note I spent many years working on the P-3 Orion. We always joked that someone messed up and mounted the engine on the C-130 upside down.

As far as the type plane you are looking at, maybe consider a Beech A-36. They are built like a brick sh** house and fly like a sports car.

You could most likely teach the CFI who signs you off a few things. Have fun...:)

Thanks for all the replies!! I think this site will be a good resource as I work through all this. Should be fun!

Back