Combined Commercial/CFI Training

FlyingTiger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingTiger
I noticed Livingston Aviation (Waterloo, IA) offers accelerated Commercial/CFI training simultaneously at what I consider a reasonable price ($5,250). Seems like an efficient way to get both certificates; has anyone done this? Has anyone trained at Livingston?

A friend is doing it right now. Does all the training from the right seat. All the maneuvers are fresh in your mind.

I've spoken to them and am hoping to get down there for exactly this training sometime this summer. According to the guy I talked to, that cost includes the training required to PASS both checkrides. If there are any retests needed, all training for that is covered in the cost (though the actual retesting fee would be additional).

Depends on where you're at, do you already have the 10hrs of complex and all the cross counties done? Can you perform precision landings, chancellery etc?

For me the initial CFI was the cheapest thing I've done (minus my GI), it was well under 2k, really as all self study and tutoring folks.

The CPL is just a overblown PPL, if your logbook is to CPL specs there isn't really much to do.

I'd imagine the speed of which to complete all of this is more on you than the CFI or program, and part of becoming a CFI is learning how to teach, yourself included, I spent next to no time getting instruction for my CFI.

I'd wager you could get it done for less if you're already to spec and can study and read a PTS yourself.

I've spoken to them and am hoping to get down there for exactly this training sometime this summer. According to the guy I talked to, that cost includes the training required to PASS both checkrides. If there are any retests needed, all training for that is covered in the cost (though the actual retesting fee would be additional).

Yes, that price includes all instruction and use of their Arrow. The only items not included appears to be the examiner fee ($350.00 per check ride) and 7% sales tax.

The fact they use an Arrow makes it even more appealing since I have about 50 hours in the aircraft already. I definitely like the idea of hammering out both in around 10 days.

I thought my commercial checkride was pretty challenging. My oral exam was about 2.5 hrs, the flight portion was 1.7 hours, and the ride ended about 1:00 p.m. on a Arizona July afternoon. I didn't think it was the cakewalk many portray it to be, but maybe I'm a below average stick.
I thought my Commercial ride was really easy. 3 hour oral and about a 1.5 hour fight but it was very straight forward and I enjoyed the checkride and the maneuvers.

I thought my commercial checkride was pretty challenging. My oral exam was about 2.5 hrs, the flight portion was 1.7 hours, and the ride ended about 1:00 p.m. on a Arizona July afternoon. I didn't think it was the cakewalk many portray it to be, but maybe I'm a below average stick.

Each DPE can make it either a cakewalk or a nightmare. Mine was a cakewalk. 1.5 hour oral, 1 hour flight. Didn't have to do the power0off 180 and only asked me one question on when a commercial cert was required. Everything else was basic private pilot stuff.

Cant recommend Livingston enough, great people.

Cant recommend Livingston enough, great people.

I spoke to them several times while trying I get my cfi finished. Seemed like a good place but I could never get anyone to call me back to setup a time to come out. After 3 calls, I finally gave up. I have heard good things about the school.

Back