Columbia Flying

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
This is an interesting trip. I try to always be in a learning mode flying, and this week will give me some good opportunities.

A couple of hours ago we landed in Medellin, Columbia coming from Opa Locka FL. Field elevation is about 8,000' and there are mountains everywhere. It was visual today so you could see the terrain in relationship to the ILS procedure we flew. It gives new meaning to keeping the needles centered as well as carefully briefing the approach before starting it. There's just no room for error.

Tomorrow will be my first real (non sim) high, hot and heavy take off. Going to Cali or Bogota which aren't far.

This is my first time in Columbia The US State Dept has a travel alert for Columbia so I don't know how much the other pilot and I will get out to see. From the air and the drive into the city, everything looks very pretty. With the altitude it's only about 77 deg now. I'd like to take a walk around. We're at the Intercontinental and they do have an armed guard at the entrance gate.

This is fun stuff. The trip should get ack Monday so I still am planning in Sun n Fun..

Keep a low profile and travel in pairs at a minimum. A buddy of mine got jacked at an ATM in Columbia (Bogota) when nobody was watching his back. Of course the robbery was about five years ago so maybe it's gotten better.

I hear Columbia is way better now that the Narcos have moved into Mexico wholesale. Jealous am I. I'd love to visit Columbia.

Even with all thats happening in mexico, the odds of your regular joe getting jacked over there are way less if not equal than getting jacked by being on the wrong side on the tracks on any US metropolitan area. Drug wars are wars involving drug people.

I would say, enjoy your time abroad and just don't be stupid.

First, it's Colombia. And second, I understand it's a lot better then when I was down there as part of my work for law enforcement. Still, if it's your first trip down South, you'll be surprised at the differences.

It is Colombia and I know it. Mea culpa. So far everyone I've encountered has been very friendly. My steak dinner tonight was excellent. The weather is very pleasant. In the few areas i've seen so far there seems to be a visible police presence. Not going to Bogota until Saturday, so sightseeing tomorrow.

What's not to like?

Ive never been to medellin but Cali was great. If you have a day to kill there I can give you some ideas, especially if you like atv or motorcycles. I was travelling with my gf at the time so I was exposed to many non tourist areas. I kept my important stuff hidden and just left spending cash in my wallet. Don't get cash at the airport go to an atm for a much better rate.

Oh yeah btw, the customs guy in Miami insisted Medellin girls are the prettiest, whats you're opinion?

Just spent the afternoon down in the city. I cannot disagree with your friend's assessment. Plane's owner gave us his driver and armed police guard for a few hours while we did this. I sure never felt insecure, but it was pretty cool.

Just spent the afternoon down in the city. I cannot disagree with your friend's assessment. Plane's owner gave us his driver and armed police guard for a few hours while we did this. I sure never felt insecure, but it was pretty cool.

Unless the white areas in your sig line are where you HAVE flown, you need to fly into California.

My wife was mugged in Bogota a number of years ago. She was simply lagging behind a group, and got pulled into a doorway. The robber asked, in Spanish, "with pain, or without pain?" and wanted her earrings and necklace - all very modest stuff. Being fluent in Spanish, she opted for the no pain route, and was on her way, very shaken but not harmed.

Be careful down there.

Kimberly, I just don't know how to update my map:no: . I've landed on the world famous 16R at KVNY. I think that counts. And as a USC grad CA would be must for me anyway.

Stan, I hope my "associate's" for the afternoon Sig Pro sidearm was being careful enough :D

Kimberly, I just don't know how to update my map:no: . I've landed on the world famous 16R at KVNY. I think that counts. And as a USC grad CA would be must for me anyway.

Stan, I hope my "associate's" for the afternoon Sig Pro sidearm was being careful enough :D

OMG you totally look like a grad of the "university of spoiled children"

Can anyone here come to my defense?

Otherwise I'll have to send my new amigo after her. :))

be5aa1e2-b88a-d744.jpg

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dutk43

Back