Columbia 400 Costs

930Robb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Robb
Looking for a 2006 or newer 400. Wondering what the cost for engine and prop replacement is? I have an A&P that con do the swap just curious what parts cost are.

$80k as of 2018. Today I asked a friend who owned one, until then. He had looked into exactly that.

BTW, he liked it, 20 hrs faster than his previous NA SR22. But his Columbia 400 was damaged in a hangar fire, and Cessna said the tail was unrepairable due to melting. Nevertheless someone bought it as salvage and flew it. So don’t buy that one!

The Columbia 400 airframe, engine and prop are much like an SR22 turbo, so the maintenance would be similar. Except no chute repack. So you can probably find maintenance info more easily if you search for SR22.

Last edited:
Any real benefit other than the G2000 to get a newer ttx over an older 400?

No idea on engine swap, and hope that I don't find out anytime soon

My other hobby is Jeeps. And we have a saying

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Multiply that by 100 for this airplane

Any real benefit other than the G2000 to get a newer ttx over an older 400?
There is an issue getting WAAS on the older G1000 planes. Those that got it are lucky, as the necessary components aren't manufactured any longer by Garmin. Mooneys and Diamonds have the same issue, so all of the interested airframe owners are fighting to get these components.

I believe all of the G2000 airframes had WAAS from the factory. Of course, the TTX was the only airframe to adopt the G2K AFAIK, so that may open a separate can of worms.

Columbia 400s built circa 2004-5 did not have Garmin 1000, but instead panels almost exactly like Cirruses of the same vintage: Garmin 430, Avidyne MFD / PFD , and S-Tec 55X autopilots.

Such a configuration has the advantage that it gives owners better long-term protection from obsolescence than integrated panels like Garmin 1000, as you don’t need the airframe manufacturer’s approval when you upgrade the avionics, and you can upgrade piecemeal. For example, to get WAAS, the 430 can easily be upgraded to 430W or replaced with GTN650.

Back