Breaking in a single new cylinder

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
Had to have a cylinder replaced due to a bad valve on my IO-550 in my Columbia 400

I was away from home so my AP supervised from afar to the local high dollar shop on the field of a Class C airport

Supposed to pick it up today

It's about a 3.5 hour flight home. My A&P suggests I fly it around for an hour at 75% power, land and decowl and check for oil leaks. Then fly it home at 75% power ROP

Then when I get it home, he will decowl it and do an oil change and check everything out.

Anything the peanut gallery can add?

Lycoming instructed me to fly 2 hrs at 75% power at 2000' AGL and then wide open throttle for 30 mins the first flight.
Then the second flight 2 hrs at 65-75% power and then 30 mins of wide open throttle. At 5 hours it quit using oil and now 575 hrs later is has been flawless. This was after a 10 minute run at 1000 rpms without the cowl to check for leaks. Minimize any taxi time and fly it hard as soon as you can.
Good luck from the peanut gallery.

the first 30 minutes is critical....run it higher than 75%. I'd be at least 80%. After that most of the ring wear will be reduced. If you have a CHT you will see the temps drop 20-30 degrees....the work is done when that happens.

the first 30 minutes is critical....run it higher than 75%. I'd be at least 80%. After that most of the ring wear will be reduced. If you have a CHT you will see the temps drop 20-30 degrees....the work is done when that happens.
So I should expect the CHT to be high at first? For how long will it stay that way?

If you run it hard for the first takeoff and climb? Most ring break-in will be completed. Keep it above 65% and on the rich side and watch for anything unusual, like you would for any flight. Don't stress too much about it.

So I should expect the CHT to be high at first? For how long will it stay that way?
You'll see elevated temps due to higher friction....could be 410 F ish.....then after 30-40 minutes when the rings begin to seat the friction is reduced when the temps come down. Keep the power up....at least 80%. Once the temps come down...run at a lower setting 70-75% for the next 10-15 hrs. Also I've done this with Phillips 20w50 X/C....no worries.

Did this on my TSIO-520....and it runs great and doesn't use oil.

Those of you who have broken in a single new cylinder: a good indicator that break-in is complete and successful is oil consumption. The first flight for my new O-360 burned 2 quarts in 2 hours, then after that it dropped to 1 quart every 15 hours. But with a single cylinder replaced the oil consumption difference is 1/4 or 1/6 of what it would be overall, which might not be noticeable. Or is it still noticeable?

when my 320 was first ran it used 1 qt the first 2.5 hrs. The second 2.5 hrs used half a qt. . My third flight of 1.5 hrs of reg flying it used no oil. I was so surprised. The next flight it didn’t use any oil either. It was so pronounced when the rings had seated.

Made it home. Like the speeds at that high power setting, but sure didn't like the fuel burn

Thanks all.

Back