Colorado flight and the Pitts ride

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
In a previous thread, I had asked about St. Francis, KS, and had a chance to check it out last week. A friend of mine who also has a Cessna 172 decided to ride along with me this time since she lives in both MO, and in Denver and wanted to run to Colorado for a few days. Tom couldn’t go since he’s so busy flight instructing :( but it was rather refreshing to take another female pilot on a cross-country flight. :yes: Barb never wanders around airports and visits when she makes the flight by herself, so this was quite a departure for her.

It took 6.5 hours flight time (dang head winds) to get to Fort Morgan, CO. Our stop in Salina was less than positive, so I think I’ll not use that as a regular stop on my trips back and forth to Denver. The guys at Ft. Morgan were wonderful and one of them may stop by the farm as he ferries a cropduster to the boot heel of Missouri in a few days.

St. Francis was delightful! They have a nice little FBO, very friendly and helpful people If I would have had my parachute with me, I could have had an acro ride in a Stearman (next time!). The walk into town was only a few blocks and a campground is next to the airport. The owner said that I could camp under the wing on the airport grounds if I wanted (might be more fun than staying at the Dusty Farmer Motel). They have 3 grass runways and one paved runway. Short final to the paved strip puts you low and slow right over the steeple of a church. It would be a lot of fun to be at St. Francis when they have their annual Stearman fly-in…it sounds like a blast!:yes:

In order to test some software, I had an acro ride in a Pitts S-2B in Boulder, CO with an accomplished pilot. He was very interested in the software that I was beta-testing and worked hard to help me collect the data I needed. Believe it or not, he could read the number of satellites on the satellite page of my Garmin 296 as we flew along inverted. I was too busy hanging on. Afterwards he let me fly the Pitts, which was a blast. :goofy: Hammerheads sure are easier in a Pitts than in a Citabria. It had been 17 days since I’d done any aerobatics and it was wonderful to feel and fly acro again. :D BTW, John remembers meeting Chip at a contest in Nebraska last year, and he said that Chip flew well.

I had the pleasure of meeting Frank Cason, and we had fun bumming around local airports as well as wandering along the creek in Boulder. :) Below is a photo of Frank and a Cherokee he was drawn to. Mari was out of town while I was in Denver, darn it.

The flight home was shorter…only 5.5 hours and we checked out some new airports. Goodland has a cozy little restaurant on the field with homemade pies and other homemade pastries. The restaurant owner gave us (for free) a huge pile of fresh cinnamon rolls to take with us in the airplane as a bonus…she liked the idea of women flying cross-country. The Goodland FBO was full of friendly helpful people and they gave us each a little sack of candy as a token for stopping by. Great Bend was a pleasure, and had good service as well.

Actually I made several new friends on this trip, and am looking forward to checking out some of the other airports on the route. Barb had never actually stopped like that on her trips back and forth to Colorado, and she really liked the leisurely pace of enjoying the journey and the people and places along the way. It wasn’t just about getting to the destination… it was also about the journey. :)

Denver was nice, but there’s no place like home. The honeysuckle vines are in full bloom and the south breeze fills the house with that lovely intoxicating aroma. It’s green and lush, and teaming with life here. :)

Attachments

• Boulder Pitts.JPG
    Boulder Pitts.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Frank and a tall Cherokee.JPG
    Frank and a tall Cherokee.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Great post!

Did you post any Pilots of America flyers at the airports? :)

St Francis is a GA dream. Town supports the airports and the Stearman flyin a blast. Ballon busting - winner got 17. Paper cutting. BBQ in the Church basement.

Diana, I'm just north of Denver at Fort Collins. Be great to meet you if things work out some trip.

I grew up in Great Bend! But I haven't flown there. Hmmmmmm......maybe another side trip after Gaston's.......

Greg Bockelman said:
So what happened in Salina?
The main reason is because they just didn’t seem very friendly.

Although, I had a problem with the GPS reception in certain areas around Salina. I lost the satellite reception about 10 miles out as I was approaching to land. Although I still had the Loran, VOR, ADF, and my finger on the map, it was annoying for my first time going into the airport, especially with the restricted area being only about 5 miles from the airport. Reception came back after landing. I lost reception again right after take off, too, and it came back about 10 miles out. :dunno:

Tower told me to enter 2-mile right base for 35. No problem. As I got ready to enter 2-mile right base, they changed me to midfield right downwind for 35 d/t an incoming Lear. No problem. Did that, was cleared to land and turning final when they told me to enter right base for 36 because of a Beechjet on long final for 35. No problem, just a bit annoying.

But, the main reason is because they weren’t very friendly.

Last edited:
CapeCodJay said:
Did you post any Pilots of America flyers at the airports? :)
Oops. :redface:

CapeCodJay said:
Great post!
:)

Oh, here's something that Frank and I were wondering. We looked at an airplane at Erie, and weren't sure what it was. I was thinking maybe Commander Skylark? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Whatzit2.jpg
    Whatzit2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
How well did the Appearo software work? Did they give you a box or are they still testing that?
I can't say too much yet, but it's been fun looking at the data on the Appareo software. I AM surprised that we didn't lose satellite reception during the loops, rolls, Immelmann, Humpty, Cuban 8, quarter clover, barrel roll, spin with 3 turns to the left then opposite rudder held in for three turns to the right, hammerheads, and two runs of several seconds of inverted flight.

They are planning to give me the hardware (box) to beta test in 3 or 4 weeks. I just have to beg rides to test it out, since the Citabria won't be done yet. I think Terry will take me in the CJ-6 at least once. It would be neat if I had it at Gaston's so you could take me up with it in the Pitts. :)

ejensen said:
St Francis is a GA dream. Town supports the airports and the Stearman flyin a blast. Ballon busting - winner got 17. Paper cutting. BBQ in the Church basement.
That sounds like fun! It would be neat to camp under the wing at the fly-in, too. They said they don't have chiggers. :)

ejensen said:
Diana, I'm just north of Denver at Fort Collins. Be great to meet you if things work out some trip.
OK! Looks like I'll be spending time at the Boulder airport every time I go out now, so maybe we could meet there. :)

Kaye said:
I grew up in Great Bend! But I haven't flown there. Hmmmmmm......maybe another side trip after Gaston's.......
It looks like a nice town. :) The couple that runs the airport was cute. She must be 70 and is more bouncy and energetic than a 5-year-old. Runway 11 seemed a bit odd with the first third of the asphalt (a few thousand feet) X'd out. It almost looked like the runway itself was X'd out. Then it looks like one old runway is a drag strip now. Never seen that before. They still have commercial traffic there, too.

Diana said:
Then it looks like one old runway is a drag strip now. Never seen that before.

Yep, that's Great Bend. I was back there in '99 for a day trip....showing the hubby where I grew up. Went out to the airport to see if it was still alive and was surprised at the activity.

I'm headed to Topeka after Gaston's to see the sister. Think I might have to make a trip over there just for grins......hmmmmm, wonder if I still know anyone.....

It was a pleasure meeting you too Diana. Just let me know anytime you're in the area with a couple free hours and we'll go on another make-it-up airport adventure.

For those who haven't met Diana, she's a class act. I now understand why she can pull off the annual Gastons get togethers.

A couple pictures from our little adventure:
(1) Diana found only Citabria on the airport.
(2) A nice little RV-4 that wanted it's picture taken.
(3) Aircraft Polishing 101.
(4) A nice old forgotten Stinson that needs a new home.

Attachments

• Citabria.jpg
    Citabria.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 23
  • RV4-6.jpg
    RV4-6.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 21
  • CE150-shine2.jpg
    CE150-shine2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Stinson.jpg
    Stinson.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21
Diana said:

Oh, here's something that Frank and I were wondering. We looked at an airplane at Erie, and weren't sure what it was. I was thinking maybe Commander Skylark? What do you guys think?
Aero Commander 100 Darter or Lark ... sad little guy stands gate guard duty at Erie - I have never seen it move from its tiedown. (can't say for certain that it doesn't fly - but it's always in its spot when I come thru the gate).

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner - I'm not far from Erie or Boulder. Hope the folks at Specialty treated you well!

Diana said:
Denver was nice, but there’s no place like home. The honeysuckle vines are in full bloom and the south breeze fills the house with that lovely intoxicating aroma. It’s green and lush, and teaming with life here. :)
Sorry I missed you Diana. I got home today too! :yes:

Denver has its good points but green and lush it is not! Sounds like you had a great time.

gkainz said:
Aero Commander 100 Darter or Lark ... sad little guy stands gate guard duty at Erie

I think we have a winner!
That's the name I've spent all week trying to think of.
http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=341

gkainz said:
- I have never seen it move from its tiedown. (can't say for certain that it doesn't fly - but it's always in its spot when I come thru the gate).

Have you seen the blue and white Tripacer next to the compass rose? I almost cried. When we walked up to it, a bird flew out of the right air intake on the cowling. Tweety has a really nice multi room condo built on top of the cylinders. The Stinson didn't look much better. The tires are completely shot on both. Very sad and definitely candidates for being given to someone who'll take proper care of them before they rot. :( From the looks of them, they'll probably fall apart before they move again.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
It was a pleasure meeting you too Diana. Just let me know anytime you're in the area with a couple free hours and we'll go on another make-it-up airport adventure.

For those who haven't met Diana, she's a class act. I now understand why she can pull off the annual Gastons get togethers.
Well, now I'm embarrassed. :redface: Thank you Frank, that's very sweet of you to say.

One more picture of Frank and an L-16. :)

Attachments

• Frank and the L-16.JPG
    Frank and the L-16.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 21
gkainz said:
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner - I'm not far from Erie or Boulder.
Hey Greg, I didn't know you lived so close to where I stayed and played! Next time I come out, maybe we should have a get-together with lots of folks from the forums. :yes:

I think it's a Darter, since that is what the FAA registry says it is....;)

Diana said:

Everskyward said:
Denver has its good points but green and lush it is not!

And neither is it humid. The summers are cooler and the winters don't feel as cold. You get used to the earth tones and scrubbiness of parts of Colorado, but the scenery is beautiful in a different way. Then there are the mountains which are spectacular and offer greenery if you choose to go up to the higher elevations. Oh yeah, and there's no bugs! Sit outside at night and you don't get attacked by mosquitos. Just thought I'd defend my adopted home. :)

Next time tell us your coming!

Diana said:
Well, now I'm embarrassed. :redface: Thank you Frank, that's very sweet of you to say.

One more picture of Frank and an L-16. :)

With only the slightest imagination that L-16 looks like the inspiration for a cartoon plane I remember from my youth (and that was a loooong time ago). You can almost see the wide open eyes in the windscreen. :D

Anthony said:
Oh yeah, and there's no bugs! Sit outside at night and you don't get attacked by mosquitos.
Gosh, I would miss all my farm bugs. Especially the ticks, the chiggers, and those giant flying cockroaches that reportedly have been seen flying off carrying dogs, cats, and even very small children. ;) And then there are the snakes in the house...

Anthony said:
Next time tell us your coming!
I kinda did, but I think I was too subtle:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7070

Anthony, I so wanted to show you my see-through back-pack flight bag. Oh, well, it will have to wait till next trip out to Denver. :D

Diana said:
Anthony, I so wanted to show you my see-through back-pack flight bag.

You have a great memory Diana! :) Due to my travel schedule for work these days, I'm unable to monitor the board as much. Sorry I missed your post.

Anthony said:
Just thought I'd defend my adopted home. :)
Colorado is my adopted home too. :)

Came here for the first time because of circumstance quite a while ago, left a couple times in the interim but for whatever reason ended up coming back.

Back