Colonoscopy prep

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by JOhnH, Sep 18, 2017.

1. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Good thing to keep it going then. Polyps can be tumor precursors. Their presence is a risk factor. Better things to die of than colon cancer.

EppyGA likes this.
  2. Rushie

Rushie Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    I can understand him not liking to do negative tests. You get zero benefit, and you undergo unnecessary risk, but you can't know that until retrospectively. On the other hand if you do have an adenomatous polyp removed, you might have actually prevented cancer, unlike say mammograms, when they lie to you telling you getting one will prevent cancer.

3. EppyGA

EppyGA Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
    Today was the day. Prep yesterday was a nothing burger. I had something called Suprep or something like that. Two 6oz bottles. You pour one bottle into a cup and add water to make 16oz total, slipped in a couple of Crystal Light Pink Lemonade packets. Then you have to drink 32oz of water in the next hour. You repeat that four hours later.

Actual procedure was great. Got my IV in, wheeled into the room, two syringes and it was nightly night. Woke up with my wife next to me and about 5-10 minutes later I was dressed and headed to Cracker Barrel. Never felt foggy all day. We went out and did some shopping in the afternoon. Felt like I could drive, but didn't. One polyp, see you in five years.

4. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Piece of cake, nice job.

5. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Everything came out alright.

6. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Same here, and I've had 3-4 now, 5 years apart as my mother had cancer. Last time 4-5 polypus taken out. No after affects at all. They say it's the only cancer you can prevent. I don't know if that's factual, but the odds have to be pretty favorable if you have it.

7. DeeG

DeeG Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    DeeG
    Mine wasn't that bad. Found that the gallon of prep stuff....if I mixed it with clear broth and heated it, it was much better than pretending it was some sort of cold beverage. Woke up in the middle of mine. Was kind of interesting to see my innards 'live' so to speak. I remember asking if I prepped properly. I was concerned about them finding bits and pieces. The Dr was pleased with my efforts, he said some people don't do as thorough a job. :) Then I went back to sleep. Have to have another one in about two more years. yay.

What was really cool was I got two pages of color pictures, showing various spots in the colon. It was very pretty. hahahaha

8. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I hated the prep, and I still have the second bottle of gatorade I bought for it. I don't know that I'll ever drink that stuff again. And holy cow was I groggy afterwards. That, and the whole no eating thing really put me off it. Then again, my doc said I'd do it again in 5 years and he's probably right. Bleech.

9. sourdough44

sourdough44 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    The prep doesn’t bother me(yet), we’ve all been there before. Everyone here seems to be eating in front of me? I’m ‘on deck’ 0915 tomorrow. That IV can’t come soon enough.

10. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Mmmm, this pizza sure is good. Wanna beer?

11. sourdough44

sourdough44 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    I want a 6 pack and then that IV!

O.K., back, 1st meal already eaten. As you veterans said, it was mostly a non-event. The prep was a pain, IV no biggie.

I was in a state of translucency, somewhat aware but no worries while they did their thing.

They had a few things to deal with, but generally nothing beyond the normal.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017