College

I graduated college with a good GPA from a top 30 school (ASU's WP Carey School of Business)
Not sure where you got Arizona State being a "top 30 school", but USN&WR ranks ASU 142nd among National Universities. But that's not a negative -- I know several of the Aviation faculty and I think it's a great program. Just pointing out that when there are some 2800 4-year degree-granting colleges in the US, ranking "only" in the top 200 is pretty darn good, and going there is hardly "settling for a lower-tier school".

They may not be Ivy League, but the aren't bush league, either. Both are RU/H-rated by the Carnegie Foundation, and both are "Top 200" National Universities in the USN&WR rankings. Other schools near them in that ranking you may have heard of include Texas Tech, University of Louisville (where I did graduate work), and West Virginia University.

Since when is Tech a good school. Other than Meteorology and a few things here and there it isn't good. There is a reason why it is referred to as the community college of the Big 12.

That aside get a degree in something you will enjoy if flying doesn't work out. You are young who knows what you will enjoy in a year or two. I graduated two years ago and changed my major three times before landing in something I really enjoyed was not going to fail out trying to get the degree. More than 70% of people I knew changed majors at least once.

Last edited:
Nope, I never said they were "outhouses", but if it makes you feel like you are effective at word gaming my comments by falsely attributing comments to me, then please proceed.

Haha..... Living in the past just a bit are you? That is funny you are clinging to some current ranking of a school that you sat in classes many decades ago. As if somehow the current ranking validates you. I have no idea where the University I graduated from is ranked, nor the school that was kind enough to bestow on me a graduate degree. Since it has been more than 2 decades since I last wrote them tuition checks, I don't see the relevance to my personal self-worth. I did scratch one of them a check today for some sort of fund raising campaign that they were kind enough to mail me a pretty letter asking for some of my money. How about you? (see what I did there??)

Yep, I do think I could find "some college that is both cheap and close to the OP's location" without even knowing where he is located. I am confident one of his original school choices included Out of State Tuition, for a "run of the mill" school like your Alma mater. Likely both of them had expensive tuition. And, it ain't difficult to find better schools than those, likely closer, and cheaper.

Yep, there are quite a few University of North Carolinas, and I would quickly dismiss the vast majority of them for somebody taking on debt and relocating for an poor education like your Louisville experience.

But, please tell us, how much debt would you advocate some kid take to go to Compass Directional University?

Did you by chance go to UVA? You seem like the type.

tve18199-19780301-1689_zpsa01c9614.jpg

Not sure where you got Arizona State being a "top 30 school", but USN&WR ranks ASU 142nd among National Universities. But that's not a negative

I went to Arizona State for a semester... Worst college EVER!

Outside of the Ivies and really just(H,Y,P) no one cares, unless you are in the same town as the college or talking to an alum.

Not sure where you got Arizona State being a "top 30 school", but USN&WR ranks ASU 142nd among National Universities. But that's not a negative -- I know several of the Aviation faculty and I think it's a great program. Just pointing out that when there are some 2800 4-year degree-granting colleges in the US, ranking "only" in the top 200 is pretty darn good, and going there is hardly "settling for a lower-tier school".
I meant just the business school. I should have clarified. Not all of ASU is ranked highly, but in the recent years the business school really stepped up.

I went to Arizona State for a semester... Worst college EVER!

Sorry you had a bad experience. Some people really don't like the huge classes and the less personal environment. I did have professors who taught 300 person courses that learned every name, but that wasn't the norm. ASU is what you make of it. I feel like I got a great education, and of course I had a good time too. But it's not for everyone, and I understand that. My first two semesters of college I went to a much smaller school and I hated it.

I meant just the business school. I should have clarified. Not all of ASU is ranked highly, but in the recent years the business school really stepped up.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Some people really don't like the huge classes and the less personal environment. I did have professors who taught 300 person courses that learned every name, but that wasn't the norm. ASU is what you make of it. I feel like I got a great education, and of course I had a good time too. But it's not for everyone, and I understand that. My first two semesters of college I went to a much smaller school and I hated it.

I was there in the early 90s. When junior/senior level classes had 300 students in them and the university was so broke that they couldn't afford to pay the electric bills to keep the buildings open (or street lights on) during the breaks.

Done with JC.

So what was your goal of picking at my comments, making personal attacks, and trying to impress us with your admission to some City College in a backwoods southern state?

I was there in the early 90s. When junior/senior level classes had 300 students in them and the university was so broke that they couldn't afford to pay the electric bills to keep the buildings open (or street lights on) during the breaks.

Definitely different era then. The junior/senior classes still have 300 students in them, at least mine did. But obviously they're not longer broke.. Especially with what they charge for tuition :rolleyes:

Definitely different era then. The junior/senior classes still have 300 students in them, at least mine did. But obviously they're not longer broke.. Especially with what they charge for tuition :rolleyes:

Part of the problem back then was tuition was 100% free for in-state. Residents just had to pay a registration fee and books. I understand that has changed since.

Part of the problem back then was tuition was 100% free for in-state. Residents just had to pay a registration fee and books. I understand that has changed since.

It is outrageously, in my opinion, expensive for the non-residents. But, they market it aggressively to non-residents, likely as a means of funding to subsidize the residents.

I have had good luck hiring their Business School grads, never hired anyone from other parts of the University.

Kind of to the OP, a local kid in AZ would do better to go to ASU and get a degree than to pay non-resident costs to go to Compass Directional University in Mich, or a glorified community college in Louisville, KY.

Back