College FB Playoffs - who should be the 4 teams?

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
My picks:

1. Alabama (I'm partial but Bama is undefeated & ranked No 1 all year)

2.Ohio St (they good, Penn St beat them but OSU the better team)

3. Clemson

4. Washington

Hate to say it, but at this time, I believe Oklahoma belongs.

My picks:

1. Alabama (I'm partial but Bama is undefeated & ranked No 1 all year)

2.Ohio St (they good, Penn St beat them but OSU the better team)

3. Clemson

4. Washington

I agree with this. Everyone but Alabama has shown some flaws this season. I don't think there's a strong case to include a 2 loss team over any of the 1 loss teams.

Can't argue that, but not having a league championship, 2 losses, and Ok St taking them to the 4th quarter all work against OU I think. We need a 8 team playoff lol.

I agree with this. Everyone but Alabama has shown some flaws this season. I don't think there's a strong case to include a 2 loss team over any of the 1 loss teams.

Bama has flaws and can be beat. Ohio St vs Bama scares me. Even Clemson vs Bama would be interesting re: last year.

Bama has flaws and can be beat.

I'm sure you've watched Alabama more than I have this season, but it seems like Saban knows how to get those guys to turn it on when the stakes are highest.

That said, I hope you're right! Nothing against Alabama, but I like a little parity. :)

They need an actual tournament much like every other sport does that will get rid of this confusion every year.
I would like to see something like they do in Europe, the top three or four teams from every conference enter a championship where they play other teams that have earned the right to be there instead of other teams that are randomly chosen by bookies.

I haven't followed college football since I was a college student and that was 36 years ago. It was fun to cheer on the school's team while I was attending a school but once I graduated I never saw the point.

Jeezus this thread will be more volatile than a political thread ! ;)

In any event it is quite obvious that the sky is white and blue because God is a Penn State fan ! :p

Seriously though, while I agree OSU may indeed be a better team, just like a boxing match it only matters who was the better man that day and on that day PSU won. How you can rank a team higher than a team they got beat by is farcical. This is why they came out with the "playoffs" that still revolve around politics.... :(

I haven't followed college football since I was a college student and that was 36 years ago. It was fun to cheer on the school's team while I was attending a school but once I graduated I never saw the point.

Careful you're starting to sound like Tom-D! :D

Understand what you're saying. Football and racing the only sports I follow, don't watch NASCAR anymore though. Everyone is different. Everyone has different interests. Roll Tide!

They need an actual tournament much like every other sport does that will get rid of this confusion every year.
I would like to see something like they do in Europe, the top three or four teams from every conference enter a championship where they play other teams that have earned the right to be there instead of other teams that are randomly chosen by bookies.

If we did it like Europe the ball would be round. Thank you, NO! Seems like there was an election recently where 'mericans chose to be less European.

I'm with Clemson this year for only one reason: If Clemson wins, my nieces/nephews will all have had NCAA champion teams while they were there. That's kind of cool. For me it was Baseball (CSUF). Of course the best was the year my Brother (their father) was on the NCAA champion Water Polo team.

I didn't attend Ohio State, but when I hear a fighter jet roar over head enroute to buzzing the 'Shoe and watch Blimps sail past to the same destination. . .it can get into your bloodstream living in a big-time college town. Watching Michigan and OSU battle it out this year in Double OT gave me palpitations.

Ohio State has been hot/cold this year (PSU/Northwestern/Michigan State) I have little faith they can top Bama - but part of me also thinks it depends on which of the Buckeyes quarterbacks shows up. He's been spotty at times.

I think the committee will go with the presumed top 4 picks.

Here it is.

The top 6 in the CFP Rankings

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Ohio State

4. Washington

5. Penn State

6. Michigan

Bama plays Wash, OSU plays Clemson in the first round.

It went as predicted, I guess.

Washinton seems to be peaking at the right time. It'll be interesting to see how they do against Alabama.

Really wish Arkansas was in there. But we always end up sucking the second half.

There are some other interesting matchups. USC vs. PSU in the Rose, and we get to find out if W. Michigan is for real when they play a good Wisconsin team.

There are some other interesting matchups. USC vs. PSU in the Rose, and we get to find out if W. Michigan is for real when they play a good Wisconsin team.

Yup, SC vs PSU will be a good one for sure, and yes, we'll see what WMU has.

I'm of the opinion that if you're pi**ed about being left out of the playoff, don't lose two friggin' games.

If we did it like Europe the ball would be round. Thank you, NO! Seems like there was an election recently where 'mericans chose to be less European.

I'm with Clemson this year for only one reason: If Clemson wins, my nieces/nephews will all have had NCAA champion teams while they were there. That's kind of cool. For me it was Baseball (CSUF). Of course the best was the year my Brother (their father) was on the NCAA champion Water Polo team.
Give it ten years and you will be watching soccer. In 'Murica, it has already passed hockey as the fourth biggest sport. The nfl will have no choice but to fold up here shortly, especially when all the lawsuits start flowing in from the concussions. When that happens college footy will follow.
Only in the good old USA is a team labeled the champion when they never have to face the best teams.

Give it ten years and you will be watching soccer. In 'Murica, it has already passed hockey as the fourth biggest sport. The nfl will have no choice but to fold up here shortly, especially when all the lawsuits start flowing in from the concussions. When that happens college footy will follow.
Only in the good old USA is a team labeled the champion when they never have to face the best teams.

Kickball repace football? Nevah! :raspberry:

No we don't. no defense (crappy scheme and a ton of injuries), I like our chances against Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, though. Our offense is definitely playoff caliber for sure.

Penn State should be in over OSU, on principle alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd much rather watch college ball than a bunch of prima donna crybabies in the pros, at least as far as football/basketball are concerned.

Well, in any event, Texas is no where near a bowl game. As it should be.

I'd much rather watch college ball than a bunch of prima donna crybabies in the pros, at least as far as football/basketball are concerned.

No to mentioned being grossly overpaid jerks for the most part.

Cheers

You saying that you don't like Red McCombs?

This guy?

Texas booster calls Charlie Strong hire 'a kick in the face'
Texas billionaire booster Red McCombs bashed the hire of Charlie Strong in a radio interview on Monday.

Don't know anyone there, including him, but that's the deal going around that boosters need to stay out of the way if Herman is going to have any success. They had one like that at Auburn years ago, Lowder, who just about controlled everything. Tried to hire Bobby Petrino when Tupperville was very successful there. There's still a few left at AU, and I'm sure every big program has the problem. I often wonder how Saban gets around it at Bama. I have my idea as I don't think anyone wants to get on his bad side. :D

Last edited:
Well, in any event, Texas is no where near a bowl game. As it should be.

You're on the PoA Council, so I'll refrain from telling you to kiss my burnt orange ass!

;)

I watched a college game this year. I was really surprised at how football has been tamed down. It has been tamed down to the point I was expecting arguments, such as,....

I got you.!!

Did not.!!

Did too..!!!

Did not..!!!

Did too...!!!

etc......

I am a product of early mid 70s high school football in Texas. As a running back I was taught to not snap the chin strap so if some tried to clothesline me I could twist out of my helmet and keep going.

I went to a small school so we played iron man football, that is the offense also played defense. As a defensive safety I learned to grab a handful of lime (its was used to line the fields back then) and throw it in the face of the receiver during the tackle. It would take that person out for 10 minutes to wash out his eyes.

But I digress, stopping serious injuries is a good thing, even if it makes football into dancing around the may pole....

This guy?

Texas booster calls Charlie Strong hire 'a kick in the face'
Texas billionaire booster Red McCombs bashed the hire of Charlie Strong in a radio interview on Monday.

Don't know anyone there, including him, but that's the deal going around that boosters need to stay out of the way . . . I often wonder how Saban gets around it at Bama. I have my idea as I don't think anyone wants to get on his bad side. :D

Saban had been winning national championships, that always keeps even the wealthiest boosters from being too vocal. I wish OU boosters would be MORE involved so we could get MStoops ****-canned.

Saban had been winning national championships, that always keeps even the wealthiest boosters from being too vocal. I wish OU boosters would be MORE involved so we could get MStoops ****-canned.

True but I think Saban laid out how the program would be operated and that he would have total control over it if Bama wanted him. Well Bama wanted him bad and I would guess they accepted his conditions. It's worked out well of course, and I'm sure what you wrote has kept the wolves (boosters) at bay.

True but I think Saban laid out how the program would be operated and that he would have total control over it if Bama wanted him. Well Bama wanted him bad and I would guess they accepted his conditions. It's worked out well of course, and I'm sure what you wrote has kept the wolves (boosters) at bay.
When you're winning year after year, the boosters stay pretty content! I'm not a bama fan, but he's the best coach/recruiter in college football!

When you're winning year after year, the boosters stay pretty content! I'm not a bama fan, but he's the best coach/recruiter in college football!

I think it's his barber/hair stylist that sealed the deal.

Cheers

Back