College Choice Help

WindJammer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WindJammer
Hey guys! I'm hoping this is the right place to post this.

Currently, I am attending a local community college in NC - majoring in Aviation Management. I will be graduating from here in the fall of 2015 and want to move on to pursue my Bachelor's in Aviation Management/Administration. I have been looking practically all over the country for a school that is relatively affordable and offers a strong, reputable program. Right now, my top choices are Metropolitan State University-Denver, Utah Valley University, Averett University, and Central Washington State (in no particular order). I'm not opposed to Embry-Riddle, but the price tag is worrying me. I will have to wait and see the financial aid packages these schools provide for me. Any suggestions for other schools, experiences/reviews of these and others, etc. are more than welcome!

On a side note, my career goals are mainly focused around working for the EAA or AOPA filling a position that involves youth-in-aviation programs/youth engagement in aviation. I am heavily involved in Young Eagles with my local EAA chapter and counsel at two aviation summer camps.

Thank you!

Get a real degree in something other than "airplane flying" oh I meant "aviation management". Regardless of what your career intentions are now, get that degree in something that will give you the most options now and down the road a few years.

The most important thing for an aviation career(or any career these days) is not having any debt so you can afford to take the jobs you need to get the jobs you want. Heard NC colleges are super cheap for residents? If so stay in state, if you want to do the sleepaway college thing(understandable, and loads of fun) NC is a big state just go to the other side. Never mind aviation themed colleges, the only reason colleges play that game is it guarantees a certain student body with a certain amount of money to spend. Good colleges don't have av programs. And you don't need an av themed degree for anything.

Unless you're trying to become a doctor (as in MD) CPA, lawyer, or MBA, no one cares what your degree is in, nor is it worth much aside from a box to check.

Id just save the money and do it online, pick the cheapest accredited school you can find, there are a few that will also credit "life experince" and give you credits for pilots licenses and rating, millitary service, etc. Just pick the fastest and cheapest way to get the BS in BS degree box checked.

100% agree on debt, that's going to burn you if you end up with a huge pile of debt.

Hey guys! I'm hoping this is the right place to post this.

Currently, I am attending a local community college in NC - majoring in Aviation Management. I will be graduating from here in the fall of 2015 and want to move on to pursue my Bachelor's in Aviation Management/Administration. I have been looking practically all over the country for a school that is relatively affordable and offers a strong, reputable program. Right now, my top choices are Metropolitan State University-Denver, Utah Valley University, Averett University, and Central Washington State (in no particular order). I'm not opposed to Embry-Riddle, but the price tag is worrying me. I will have to wait and see the financial aid packages these schools provide for me. Any suggestions for other schools, experiences/reviews of these and others, etc. are more than welcome!

On a side note, my career goals are mainly focused around working for the EAA or AOPA filling a position that involves youth-in-aviation programs/youth engagement in aviation. I am heavily involved in Young Eagles with my local EAA chapter and counsel at two aviation summer camps.

Thank you!

Florida Tech in Melbourne I believe has a program for you as well, and you get to live in Coco Beach next to Cape Canaveral if you want. However for what you want, I don't think an aviation management degree is really your best option, maybe as a minor.

Unless you're trying to become a doctor (as in MD) CPA, lawyer, or MBA, no one cares what your degree is in, nor is it worth much aside from a box to check.

Id just save the money and do it online, pick the cheapest accredited school you can find, there are a few that will also credit "life experince" and give you credits for pilots licenses and rating, millitary service, etc. Just pick the fastest and cheapest way to get the BS in BS degree box checked.

100% agree on debt, that's going to burn you if you end up with a huge pile of debt.

Thats what I did. American Military University. It was $250 a credit, $750 a class. And you dont pay for books. While they dont have anything aviation specific, they do have a transpotation management degree.

To answer your question: http://www.mtsu.edu/programs/aerospace/ but I agree that a degree is the key.
At my recent 35th reunion, I was the only one in my company group that was still in a field related to my degree. All the others had grown up, although two were airline pilots so that kind of counts.
You should be looking at colleges that will transfer your CC credits and also taking CC credits that will transfer. Get with the colllege admissions to see what credits you can get cheaper at the CC.

Oh, and when you can get the AVIATION MANAGEMENT thing right let everyone else know, 'cause no one is doing it right yet.

Thank you all for the quick replies!

So, it seems like the general consensus here is to avoid an Av. Management degree? Will it hurt my future career to get this degree? I thought it was only about having the pretty certificate that says I have a BS in "something" (as James331 said). If not this degree, what majors would you recommend for me to get with my career interests?

Either way, I will have an Associates in A.M. by next fall, so if I transfer into a different program, I will be having to start all over. I am just looking to spend the least amount of money, but starting over does not sound cheap. Now I feel like my plan is all screwed up. :mad2: What should I do?

On another side note, I have no desire to fly for a living. I am taking lessons, but for fun, not a career.

So, it seems like the general consensus here is to avoid an Av. Management degree? Will it hurt my future career to get this degree? I thought it was only about having the pretty certificate that says I have a BS in "something" (as James331 said). If not this degree, what majors would you recommend for me to get with my career interests?

Either way, I will have an Associates in A.M. by next fall, so if I transfer into a different program, I will be having to start all over. I am just looking to spend the least amount of money, but starting over does not sound cheap. Now I feel like my plan is all screwed up. :mad2: What should I do?

On another side note, I have no desire to fly for a living. I am taking lessons, but for fun, not a career.

It's not necessarily 'avoid it', a management degree is a management degree 5 years out of school or less. It's just that typically an "Aviation Management" degree comes with the same price premium as everything else with the word Aviation connected to it. The point is more to avoid that premium price, especially if it is attached to debt. What you want more for what your intentions are is a program that focuses more on managing charities and NPOs.

It's not necessarily 'avoid it', a management degree is a management degree 5 years out of school or less. It's just that typically an "Aviation Management" degree comes with the same price premium as everything else with the word Aviation connected to it. The point is more to avoid that premium price, especially if it is attached to debt. What you want more for what your intentions are is a program that focuses more on managing charities and NPOs.

A-friggin-men!

No reason, whatsoever, to major in anything with the word "aviation" in it, even if you want a career in aviation.

A-friggin-men!

No reason, whatsoever, to major in anything with the word "aviation" in it, even if you want a career in aviation.

Then again, as long as the cost is the same, there is no reason to avoid it either. The big premium at the aviation schools is the flight program, they charge some insane prices. If you want to go to an aviation school, best to show up with an MEI rating in your pocket and a light twin to rent other student while instructing them and building time. With that you also enroll in the aviation maintenance program to get a cheap way to do your maintenance as well as getting an A&P.

Last edited:
I'm adjunct faculty at Metro in computer science and a sometime student in aviation so I know most of the faculty from a completely different perspective. PM me and I'll send you contact details on the people you need to talk to. You can get a regular Business degree with minor/emphasis on AvMgt, by the way.

Metro is a commuter school in downtown Denver that shares facilities, campus, parking, etc. with Denver Community College (jr college) and Univ of Colorado, Denver campus. CU-Denver & Metro "share" many courses. A private company built apartments within walking distance a few years ago, somewhat expensive. Convenient public transportation, by the way in & out of downtown.

Out of state tuition is competitive, definitely cheaper than Embry-Riddle. Spend a year, get a Colorado DL and become a resident, and tuition is dirt cheap. Altho Metro has 12-16 sims (Frasca & ATP), there's no aircraft - you go to one of the local flight schools for flight training. Most have a discount for Metro students.

Very active EAA chapters in the area, 43 & 301 fly YE every month, twice in June because of our relationship with Wings Over the Rockies museum Wings has a very active 5-12 aviation program (obviously) with both summer and winter camps. Some of the schools have or are starting aviation/aerospace programs, too.

Did I mention the mountains? I've been known to ski at Loveland most of the day and make it back to town in time to teach my 5:30 pm class - in my ski clothes.

Last edited:
Your associates will transfer or not(or partially) depending on how money/grubbing tightly wound your next school is. Definitely something to check on before writing a big check. As for starting over, meh, majors are so little of nonstem degree course loads it doesn't make any difference. Pick your next school on price and where you want to live. Ask yourself if you'd rather skip class and surf or skip class and ski.

I'll add to the chorus to expand your horizons and get a more useful/general purpose business degree, especially since you'll already have the associates degree in aviation whatever. It will give you many more options down the road vs. getting pigeon-holed into something specific. Pick a public university in your state and do your best to stay out of debt, and have fun along the way as well.

People do care what your degree is in, especially if it is a technical field. Hate to hire engineers with a communications degree.

By the same token, an "Aviation Management" degree might be a flag to a non-aviation company that your passion lies in Aviation, and you might be quick to bolt industries if an opportunity in aviation arises.

I have had this conversation with business friends lately, and we are pretty stumped as to what college majors you would even suggest to most kids these days.

A liberal arts degree is almost caught up with many of the other programs. And none of them are employable in the chosen field.

Did I mention the mountains? I've been known to ski at Loveland most of the day and make it back to town in time to teach my 5:30 pm class - in my ski clothes.

So in a perfect world, if we could put your Cherokee on ski's so you can just shuss up to the aircraft at the end of your last run....

As a Supply Chain / Ops Management guy, it pains me to say this, but you might want to look into something like Marketing for your BS/BA degree. That would give you some training in a field that could help you out in the career goal you listed. It would also be something to fall back on if the EAA/AOPA thing never pans out.

The nice thing is most any business school will have some sort of Marketing program which opens up a lot more options for getting a more affordable degree.

I'll add to the chorus to expand your horizons and get a more useful/general purpose business degree, especially since you'll already have the associates degree in aviation whatever. It will give you many more options down the road vs. getting pigeon-holed into something specific. Pick a public university in your state and do your best to stay out of debt, and have fun along the way as well.

I'm not all that convinced that what your specific degree is really matters after your first job out of school. You'd be amazed at the degrees I see from candidates looking for a green deckhand or stewardess job on a yacht. When they see they can pay off all their student loans in a season on a yacht instead of 10 years in a cubicle, they start applying. When they figure out the 18 year old kid working next to them is making the same money with no college debt, they cry.

I really think that unless you intend to stay in academia that anyone gives a crap what your degree is. Most people doing the hiring are in a field other than their degree as well.

I'm not all that convinced that what your specific degree is really matters after your first job out of school. You'd be amazed at the degrees I see from candidates looking for a green deckhand or stewardess job on a yacht. When they see they can pay off all their student loans in a season on a yacht instead of 10 years in a cubicle, they start applying. When they figure out the 18 year old kid working next to them is making the same money with no college debt, they cry.

I really think that unless you intend to stay in academia that anyone gives a crap what your degree is. Most people doing the hiring are in a field other than their degree as well.

It is very industry-dependent... for example all of the engineers I work with have real engineering degrees from ABET-accredited universities. :D There is no way to back-door into this industry with a marketing degree, or aviation management for that matter. And that degree is still a requirement even after 20 years of experience.

Ditto for doctors, dentists, and lawyers, although they have more flexibility at the undergrad level.

Other industries, and especially for entrepreneurs, I'd gladly concede it is much less important, especially if the individual is willing to out-work others like in your example.

The 4 year degree requirement for being an airline pilot is just used to weed-out candidates of course that aren't willing to get over that hurdle, and we all know an airline pilot with an engineering degree won't make any more than one with a park & rec degree. :)

Mind naming one legit school who gives "life experience" credits, and is accredited by anyone who has any credibility?

Mind naming one legit school who gives "life experience" credits, and is accredited by anyone who has any credibility?

http://www.sfc.edu/

These guys gave me a semester and a half credit for my ratings and maintenance work experience, plus took all my AAS degree credits back in the mid 80's.

I did one semester and got a flying job, so I never finished, but it was a decent school.

I'll just add that any education and experience that expands your training and acumen in business fields (management, operations, financial, selling/marketing) can be valuable, no matter where you land.

Helps to make you very marketable to future employers.

So in a perfect world, if we could put your Cherokee on ski's so you can just shuss up to the aircraft at the end of your last run....
Nope, Loveland is atop the Rockies at the infamous Loveland Pass. But a helicopter would work just fine!

Either way, I will have an Associates in A.M. by next fall, so if I transfer into a different program, I will be having to start all over.
Are you sure? Math, science, English, etc. may transfer just fine. Any specific "aviation management" classes may or may not transfer and/or count as electives.

If you're in NC, check us out at Middle Tennessee State. We have an Admin program that's pretty good. I don't know a huge deal about that concentration, as I'm in the pilot program, but I'm assuming you would know the right questions to ask, so others at the school could help you along.

One big plus for the non-pilot programs I see here is, being in a reputable aviation school puts a recognizable name on your resume, as well as putting you in contact with potential employers and valuable referances. And if the cost is around the same, you might as well get an aerospace degree. Using myself as an example, if I'm paying for flight training either way and just need a degree in something, why not get it in my field, even if it doesnt matter what it is?

Others disagree with me, but having been in both situations, I see aviation schools as a perfectly good route to careers in aviation.

You are gonna hear this a lot from those of us that work in the aviation industry. Cause we have been there and done that.

Thank you all for the additional replies! This is very good information.

So Henning, what you're saying is that as long as the price is the same, it would be fine if I get my BS in Av. Management then? I am trying to target the cheapest and most effective option. As Murphey pointed out, in or out of state tuition at MSU-Denver is pretty cheap.

If I did end up changing majors, I have about 6-8 classes only that would transfer. So, not a complete restart, but close. However, I'll start looking into NPO/charity management and marketing majors as well.

Dylan, I actually have toured MTSU and spoke with Andrew (the aviation Dept. Chair) last year. It seemed like a great program! However, after speaking with the financial department, they weren't going to provide me anywhere close to enough aid to attend. I think they gave me enough up to about $20,000 per year, which is an outrageous amount of debt in my eyes added up over 4 years.

Only benefit to my aviation degree is that I will get to apply to the airlines at 1000 hours besides 1500 hours.

Beside that I have 100k in debt... :mad2:

Ah, sorry to hear that! I was thinking there was a way for NC residents to get in state tuition. Andrew was the first person I met here as well, and he's still my academic adviser. He's, interesting, to say the least.

I really don't understand the high costs I'm seeing people report. I'm going to get away with under $60k, both college and flight training. But I've spent a lot of time figuring out the most economical way to do everything, following the "recommended" path does get expensive.

I really don't understand the high costs I'm seeing people report. I'm going to get away with under $60k, both college and flight training. But I've spent a lot of time figuring out the most economical way to do everything, following the "recommended" path does get expensive.

Under 60k is cheap? Im gonna graduate damn near debt free. Albeit I am stopping my flight training at Private for now.

Quite a few when accompanied with a good résumé and education outside academia inside industry, especially when the person providing the education and reference is a respected alumnus. I had an offer from Brooks Institute to credit me 2.5 years of a 4 year program because I already was working above those grades.

Academia is a really inefficient way to gain knowledge.

Last edited:
If you're in NC, check us out at Middle Tennessee State. We have an Admin program that's pretty good. I don't know a huge deal about that concentration, as I'm in the pilot program, but I'm assuming you would know the right questions to ask, so others at the school could help you along.

One big plus for the non-pilot programs I see here is, being in a reputable aviation school puts a recognizable name on your resume, as well as putting you in contact with potential employers and valuable referances. And if the cost is around the same, you might as well get an aerospace degree. Using myself as an example, if I'm paying for flight training either way and just need a degree in something, why not get it in my field, even if it doesnt matter what it is?

Others disagree with me, but having been in both situations, I see aviation schools as a perfectly good route to careers in aviation.
The one thing that you should keep in mind, god forbid your lose your medical. What are you going to do with you aviation degree?

The one thing that you should keep in mind, god forbid your lose your medical. What are you going to do with you aviation degree?

It's an Aviation Management degree, you move into scheduling and figure out a way to maximize how miserable you can make the crews lives.;)

It's an Aviation Management degree, you move into scheduling and figure out a way to maximize how miserable you can make the crews lives.;)
I think Dylan Smith said he was in the professional pilot program. But yes he can always do what you said:D

A-friggin-men!

Check 61.160(b)(1).

Bob Gardner

Empire State College, which is a SUNY school. I think for all my licenses they gave me about 20 credits. Other stuff I have done I had to write up some papers explains what I ahave done, I had about 45 credits towards my BS without taking a course.

OK, I stand corrected. I somehow related all the "life experience" credits to the diploma mills, where you can get a "degree" for $150 based on "life experience".

Back