Colgan Q400 Down near KBUF?

last article said it was a continental flight

Is Matt w/ Colgan?

Isn't Eamon, as well?

After listening, the pilot communicating was female. No indication at all of trouble, went down after being handed-off to tower. Whatever happened, happened very suddenly.

Lift them up...

130505Z 25012KT 4SM BR BKN008 BKN015 OVC021 01/00 A2983 RMK AO2 FZRAB0458E0459SNE0458 CIG 005V011 P0000 \

:(

Re: Dash-8 Down near Buffalo, 49 believed dead

Oh... sorry.

NY State police reporting all 48 on board are dead.

1 fatality on the ground.

Wow. That sucks.

I edited the ATC audio to shorten it to the parts I found relevant. YMMV
http://www.jesseangell.com/forums/Colgan.mp3

There is no way I would have been the next guy to take that ILS, even though several airplanes made it afterwards with one reporting a localizer issue.

Dang!:(:(:(

I noted the reports of fluctuations in the localizer, but wonder if they couldn't be due to hyper-sensitivity on the parts of the other pilots after learning of the problem. In other words, pay attention to them, but don't jump to conclusions yet.

Nothing about it makes me suspect a problem with the localizer. I don't see any terrain in the area that would cause a problem at the 2300 I'd expect them to be at when at the OM.

It did sound as if they reported they had Romeo on check-in to approach when Sierra was current. Also, I didn't hear all the readbacks that I expected. But neither of those are earth-shattering, and was many minutes before communication was lost.

My prayers go out to the families.

Be careful out there!

Edit: It seems that she was turned from approach to tower, but never checked in. Approach was still looking for her.

Last edited:
Man... That ATC tape is sobering. Next aircraft they let in saw the plane on the ground.

And then in the following archive...

TRACON: "Colgan 3268, Approach."
CJC3268: <unintelligible>
TRACON: "Thank you sir, uh, I need you to prepare yourself, Um, Company Dash-8 inbound we think went down over the outer marker, um, we're not sure why. I'm not sure if you want to try the approach. Since then, we've had four aircraft go and they were all jets."
CJC3268: "3268."
TRACON: "Sir, it was another dash 8, approximately 15 minutes ago, and, uh, we're not sure why."
CJC3268: "Uhhhh... Can you ,uh, clarify the, uh, the, uh, dash 8? Did... how... What do you mean it went down?"
TRACON: "He didn't make the airport. He was cleared for the approach, he went over to tower, uh, he didn't call the tower, basically, he x'ed out on his mode c and we couldn't get a hold of him, there's a report he's, uh, went down about 5 miles northwest of the airport."
CJC3268: "uh yeah, uh, we'll shoot the approach though."

That's what Matt Teller flies.

And for Colgan... Thankfully, we have word that Matt is OK but still up flying. I'm sure he'll check in after he lands and responds to the zillion people who have surely called to check on him!

Hey all, thanks for checking, I just got home about 10 minutes ago. I'm Okay. As a few have noted, this was the plane that I fly and my company. I'll obviously be up for a while watching the news, but I want to say thank you to everyone that asked about me, and my prayers are with the crew and passengers of this flight as well as everyone on the ground. They were good pilots, and good friends; this is a terrible loss for their families and our family here at Colgan.

Matt, It's good to hear from you.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the crew and passengers of Colgan 3407.

Glad you're safe, Matt.

But as to the flight: :(:nonod::frown3::sad::cryin:

No enough forms of sad...

Heard this on the news a moment ago and had to come check POA, as I knew Matt flew Colgan / Continental in the NE. Glad to hear you are safe, Matt, but sorry for the loss as well. Condolences...

Crap!

Glad that Matt is safe, but CRAP, someone isn't

Yeah I'll justs say Ditto!:frown3:

My mother in law takes that flight quite often to visit her boyfriend. Thankfully they are in Florida.

Hopefully the NTSB will figure something out realtivly quickly to put the familes minds as rest.

Whew. I just saw it on the TV news.

I had to see if Matt was OK.

This is a sad one that we're going to hear about for quite a while.

John Nance is talking about rime ice.

Last edited:
Matt,

I'm so glad you are ok. My condolences go out to the Colgan family and the families of the passengers.

This is a sad day indeed. This serves as a sobering reminder of the responsibility and burden of this career and aviation as a hobby. While aviation creates so many wonderful memories these dark days are difficult and in time will serve as a reminder of our mandate. Matt, I extend my condolences to you and your family at Colgan as well as all of those impacted by this tragedy.

This is a sad day indeed. This serves as a sobering reminder of the responsibility and burden of this career and aviation as a hobby. While aviation creates so many wonderful memories these dark days are difficult and in time will serve as a reminder of our mandate. Matt, I extend my condolences to you and your family at Colgan as well as all of those impacted by this tragedy.

Well said -- My sentiments exactly.

Matt...I am glad you are ok. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your Colgan family. May they all RIP.

Thank God you're okay Matt! Tailwinds to all who perished.

I hate to even post this, but I have to ask, since I have other friends that work for Colgan....

Have they released the pilot/FO's names yet?

First thought when I heard this morning that it was a Colgan Air plane was of Matt. Glad you're OK, but this just stinks. My condolences to all.

I hate to even post this, but I have to ask, since I have other friends that work for Colgan....

Have they released the pilot/FO's names yet?

Yes; I read it on MSNBC about 45 minutes ago.

HR

Matt: Welcome home! So sorry about your friends.

What a sad deal. My condolences to Matt and the Colgan Air family. Has
to be hard to lose your friends and co workers.

Any speculation on why it would just drop like that so suddenly? The
first thing that came to mind was ice and stalling of the horizontal
stabilizer. Is that possible on one of those?

RT

Any speculation on why it would just drop like that so suddenly? Thefirst thing that came to mind was ice and stalling of the horizontalstabilizer. Is that possible on one of those? RT
Let's not speculate. I did read a report on MSNBC.com that stated planes landing after the accident were complaining about icing.

-Skip

Is Matt w/ Colgan?

Isn't Eamon, as well?

After listening, the pilot communicating was female. No indication at all of trouble, went down after being handed-off to tower. Whatever happened, happened very suddenly.

Lift them up...

Ice-contaminated tailplane stall. You heard it here first (my best guess, anyway).

Bob Gardner

What a sad deal. My condolences to Matt and the Colgan Air family. Has
to be hard to lose your friends and co workers.

Any speculation on why it would just drop like that so suddenly? The
first thing that came to mind was ice and stalling of the horizontal
stabilizer. Is that possible on one of those?

RT

It's possible on any airplane that has a horizontal stabilizer.

Bob Gardner

Back