Cold 'nuff fer ya? [N/A]

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Got this in my email today - kinda cute. For my reference, change Kansas to Colorado, or the Minnesota of my childhood. Must be that "global warming" stuff...
----------------------------------------------
KANSAS - Relative Temperature

60 above zero:
Arizonians turn on the heat.
People in KANSAS plant gardens.

50 above zero:
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in KANSAS sunbathe.

40 above zero:
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in KANSAS drive with the windows down.

32 above zero:
Distilled water freezes.
The water in KANSAS gets thicker.

20 above zero:
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
People in KANSAS throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in KANSAS have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0:
People in Miami all die.
KANSANS close the windows.

10 below zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico
People in KANSAS get out their winter coats.

25 below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in KANSAS are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero:
Washington DC runs out of hot air.
People in KANSAS let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
KANSAS get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.

460 below zero:
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.)
People in KANSAS start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

500 below zero:
Hell freezes over.
KANSAS public schools will open 2 hours late.
----------------------------------------------

Heh, since it's -2F in my part of Kansas right now, I did have to drive this morning with the window rolled up.

I kind of like the days when it's 10-20 with snow on the ground, no wind, and a high, bright sun. Those days you CAN be outside with just a flannel shirt.

When I went to the gym at 5:30 this morning it was -20. By the time I got home my hair had frozen to my hat.

Gotta love northwest Iowa.

James Dean

It was high 70s in Savannah this past weekend. and apparently almost that warm in DC, too.

10c in London isn't bad!

Sunday was great WX too. Sunny!

Too bad everything I wanted to visit was closed. So I spent my time up on the Portobello Rd market near Notting Hill.

Having lived here there is not a lot I have already seen so I was not too disapointed.

Worked outside in northern Wisconsin one winter measuring flood plains along some rivers. They said it was the coldest winter in 100 years (78-79) and we were allowed to stay inside if the high temperature was forecast to be less than -10 (although we seldom did). Got my fill of cold weather. Now, when it's 60, I have a windbreaker handy. And I'm OK with that.

You cold weather folks can wear your tolerance for cold like a badge of honor if you want. But lordy lordy, to me it just suggests you've lost higher cerebral functioning, due probably to iceberg-restricted blood flow.

Many years ago I was on a business trip and spent 3 days in Eau Claire, WI in Feb. The HIGH temps were -25F (-70F wind chill). I swore I would never complain about being cold again. I got back from that trip, shoveled the snow off my driveway, and sat out on the front steps with a beer in a balmy 12F.

You cold weather folks can wear your tolerance for cold like a badge of honor if you want. But lordy lordy, to me it just suggests you've lost higher cerebral functioning, due probably to iceberg-restricted blood flow.

What he said^^^

Many years ago I was on a business trip and spent 3 days in Eau Claire, WI in Feb. The HIGH temps were -25F

I spent a winter contracting for SSI in Eau Claire. My biggest memory was how the car exhaust would linger a few inches above the ground, like a little itty bitty ground fog. Weird.

Some of you guys need to move to Florida!

KCRG 161753Z 24011KT 10SM CLR 26/13 A3013 RMK AO2 SLP203 6////
T02610128 10261 20122

It's bright, sunny, and warm out today! :D

I agree about the coat and floridians! I'm one in Oklahoma now, its 16 or so and I've got my big winter coat out. Although its probably funny as heck to watch me walk on all this ice out here. Its thick and slippery!

Couldn't have said it any better, BTW, that is a nice way of calling someone f***ing nuts. I grew up in St. Louis and spent the next 2 winters after high school in Canada and Alaska testing railroad track. I have done my share of cold...no thanks. Anymore, Jacksonville is too far north for me to winter.

I saw this a couple years ago, told about Cleveland (my home town) instead of Kansas. The last line read: "Browns win the Superbowl."

LOL---I saw the exact same joke a year or so ago, except it referred to North Dakotans (which I was at the time). :)

You cold weather folks can wear your tolerance for cold like a badge of honor if you want.

I've found that living outdoors 24/7 in the winter, the temperatures that house people find marginally comfortable are about 20 deg warmer than is tolerable. +15F doesn't even require a coat unless you're standing around not doing anything. Anything around freezing is long sleeve tshirt weather.

I was out fixing someone's refrigerator thermostat the other day for over an hour. It was a bit cool but not overly bad...just had jeans, tshirt, ski parka (unzipped) and glove liners and a fuzzy hat. I came back in and the thermometer was showing zero F. (The funny bit was it turned out that the thermostat thought the inside of the fridge was cold enough so it shut down the heating elements. In reality it was the exposed back side of the fridge that cooled the thermostat wire enough to shut it down leaving the inside of the fridge all nice and warm)

But lordy lordy, to me it just suggests you've lost higher cerebral functioning, due probably to iceberg-restricted blood flow.

Hmmmm... It's entirely possible that you just might be right.

Some of you guys need to move to Florida!

KCRG 161753Z 24011KT 10SM CLR 26/13 A3013 RMK AO2 SLP203 6////
T02610128 10261 20122
Just put a minus sign in front of that 26 and subtract one degree and that's how cold it was last night when we took off to come home. That was after screwing around on the ramp and in a slightly heated hangar trying to get it fixed...

Funny how different locales cope with different weather. I was raised in Canadia (as they call it here) and it, well, snowed and was cold from Nov to Mar. Not much slowed up or closed because of it. Where I live now, it is blessedly warm most of the year and snow is kinda rare. So yesterday it was cold, gloomy and a slight hint of snow in the forecast. Employees abandoned their stations like a hurricane was coming! In the last hour we got a light dusting, maybe 1" of gentle snow and the town is as quiet as a morgue!
Now I'm not having fun at anyone, being here 15 years has made my blood pretty thin too! Bring on the electric blankets, the hot chocolate!

Far as I can tell, only one airline has deicing equipment at SAT.

WN has been running pretty close to a normal schedule. Every other airline has been canceling flights left and right.

The roads are fine, except overpasses, airtemp has been hovering around 30-31 since last night. We have a slight glaze of ice on anything elevated.... but it's worse up in the Hill Country.

Of course, it's ALL the talking heads can talk about.

I would drive 55 mph if it meant that I could keep flying.
I like to drive fast, but did you notice that the temperature was much colder when the speed limit was restricted in the late 1970s?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

That's why I moved to FL from central IA.

I remember one time, after an extended period of -30 and colder temps, when it finally warmed into the + 20s, my buddies and I were outside without our shirts trying to get an early tan.

Ah, but until you experience flying at 0 degrees F and below... Air that's smooth as glass, absolutely insane climb rates, visibility that you wouldn't believe... As long as the heaters in the hangar and the airplane are working, ya can't beat it.

Ah, but until you experience flying at 0 degrees F and below... Air that's smooth as glass, absolutely insane climb rates, visibility that you wouldn't believe... As long as the heaters in the hangar and the airplane are working, ya can't beat it.
Yeah. Problem is, when you take a break for dinner and don't hangar the plane, it frequently has frost on it. :(

This number is way to low. It's in the 50's and I'm ready to go. Esta muy frio.

As we've mentioned before to youse guys, FIFTY is not cold. FIFTEEN is cold.

50 is T-shirt weather.

I was up in Milwaukee yesterday. 24 degrees F. We spotted a guy working in his yard in the snow, wearing shorts. I saw a similarly dressed Yuppie in my Chicago neighborhood.

Last edited:
Back