Cold calling airplane owners

The fellow that sold me my Tiger would regularly text and/or email me inquiring if I was ready to sell it back, until I had to politely ask him to cease and desist. Was an annoyance.
I would consider cold calls re purchasing my plane even more annoying (get them all the time re real estate].

Reactions: YKA
I've spent half of my career cold calling mineral owners to lease their interests. That information gathering all starts with what's in the public record, naturally. I've found that as long as you make it understood within the first few seconds of the call that you're not trying to sell them something, but rather buy (or lease) something they already own, they are much more receptive to the call and don't question exactly how you got their info.

For those that are creeped out/skeptical, explaining that the majority of the info you needed to contact them is already public record is usually met with something like, "Oh, I guess that is true."

Edit: I would add the caveat that mineral owners are quite accustomed to these calls and inquiries. Aircraft owners might not be.

Plenty of free reverse search options on the Google machine at our disposal. They aren't necessarily accurate all the time, though. There are also products out there (that cost $$) that you can punch in names, addresses, etc. and get returns for phone numbers, email addresses, relatives, etc.

Yeah, someone in your industry really freaked out my sister-in-law earlier this year by calling her on her cell and asking for help contacting me. And I don't mean my brother's wife, with same last name as mine and who also has the same mineral rights; I mean my wife's sister with a different name in a different state. That was no bueno.

To the OP's question, I've received two letters, I think, over the years. Both times I replied via e-mail that I was not interested in selling, but gave them the tail number of the same type that was sitting derelict at our field. Nothing has ever come of that; it is still there.

Reactions: YKA
Well my main interest would be to see the airplane or discuss its flying qualities. If they were interested in selling I may consider that as well. I’ve been interested in a small single place biplane for a while now and there aren’t many around anymore. Found a couple of the model in mmm interested in on the FAA database so I am considering calling them to see if I can see one in person or even try it on for fit.

There are darn few (active) airplane owners I have ever known that didn't want to talk about their planes, or show them off to someone interested in that model.

I was very surprised last night when I typed in a registration number from a plane photo from my local airports club. Never would have thought that would be public.

But anyway, back around 1988 I bought a 1970 Olds W31 from the original owner. Had been sitting and needed some TLC but had 51,000 miles on the cock and still had the original clutch, exhaust, brakes, etc. I sold it about 1991 or '92. About 5 years ago I got a call on my home phone that we never use. Guy left a voicemail saying he was looking for a guy that used to own a W31. Caller ID showed Nickey Chicago. Called the guy back (Stefano) and found that he now owned Nickey Chicago (used to be Nickey Chevrolet). He now owned my W31 and was trying to trace the history. He sent me pics and it had had a few factory options added to it (under dash 8 track, Hurst emblem on truck lid, and factory rear spoiler). I told him those were not factory. He contacted the original owner who got the car as a high school graduation present. Him and his current wife were dating when he got that car. Stefano invited Elmer and his wife to a car show in Chicago. Stefano sent me pics of Elmer and his wife sitting in it at the car show and Elmer had tears running down his face. So sometimes it is good to answer those calls and see what they have to say. Wish I still had that car.
70-W31-2.jpg

I got a call about two weeks ago from a guy looking for a 7GCBC. Funny thing is he called on my wife's cell phone. He explained right away who he was and what he was doing. I didn't mind, my wife was a little tense and told him it wasn't for sale. (We were on the car audio system.) Private individual looking for a somewhat hard to find airplane. If it had been a broker trying to get a listing I would have hung up. Anymore we get so many calls it is aggravating. We are going to help with your Windows problem, we are going to arrest you at home or at your place of work if you do not respond to this call immediately, ... The weirdest one lately is the live call that promises to help my Google search rating - on my grass strip, registered but not on a sectional. No website that I am aware of. They've called twice. One guy called to charter an airplane. So if you call, identify yourself immediately and state your business. It will help if your caller ID is real.

I sold my aircraft in October to a broker acting on behalf of a buyer that contacted me (via mail) without solicitation. I was planning on putting it on the market in a few weeks anyway, and the timing just worked out. It was actually a very low stress and generally pleasant transaction.

I agree. I won't answer the call these days without knowing who it is usually. Post cards were de rigeur back in the day.

Frankly, when I went hunting for my Navion, I just hit up every ad in the type club newsletter and T-A-P. We spent a lot of time on the phone and received photos of dozens of Navions before we settled on the one.

I thought this was crazy talk until I saw a gorgeous S35 taxi by at an airport I rent at. I really want to go tape a note on the hangar door. Maybe he’s looking for a non-equity partner?

Been looking for a post 73 Cherokee 235, pre-Dakota. Found one registered nearby. Registered owner passed in 2010, but the registration and tail number are still current. Step son is also a pilot but it's in the deceased parents name. Stepson last had a medical in 2000. So it probably hasn't been flown in a while... But somebody is keeping the registration up...despite being in the long deceased (2010) father's name. Probably falls into the "I'm gonna get back into flying" category. Everyone knows they won't and would rather just let it sit. Being in a deceased parents name for so long makes one wonder if there's title issues. I'll probably try the cold call or write a letter. What's the worst that could happen

I'll probably try the cold call or write a letter. What's the worst that could happen

If you don't ask the answer is "no" and they might surprise you ...

Being in a deceased parents name for so long makes one wonder if there's title issues. I'll probably try the cold call or write a letter. What's the worst that could happen

The worst that could happen is that you put effort and money and the 'seller' can't conclude the transaction because he lacks legal authority to do so. Selling this plane may require reopening a long closed estate so the administrator has authority to sell the plane and distribute the proceeds.

The worst that could happen is that you put effort and money and the 'seller' can't conclude the transaction because he lacks legal authority to do so. Selling this plane may require reopening a long closed estate so the administrator has authority to sell the plane and distribute the proceeds.
So.... Let it be? Is it worth a title search? Never delved into those sorts of things. Husband and wife were registered owners. She passed in 04, he passed in 2010. He never made it past student pilot. Her son, his stepson did have his certificate. But his last medical of record was 2000. Flight aware shows somebody flew it in 2003. If it was being flown it would show up as they'd have it located well within the ADS-b veil. I'm not afraid of projects. I know when to walk away. But I'd like to at least take a look of possible. Somebody obviously cares enough to keep the registration somewhat current

I got a call about two weeks ago from a guy looking for a 7GCBC. Funny thing is he called on my wife's cell phone. He explained right away who he was and what he was doing. I didn't mind, my wife was a little tense and told him it wasn't for sale. (We were on the car audio system.) Private individual looking for a somewhat hard to find airplane. If it had been a broker trying to get a listing I would have hung up. Anymore we get so many calls it is aggravating. We are going to help with your Windows problem, we are going to arrest you at home or at your place of work if you do not respond to this call immediately, ... The weirdest one lately is the live call that promises to help my Google search rating - on my grass strip, registered but not on a sectional. No website that I am aware of. They've called twice. One guy called to charter an airplane. So if you call, identify yourself immediately and state your business. It will help if your caller ID is real.

I hate the calls where caller iD doesn't even come close to the real caller. There are some that I refuse to answer because I know the listed outfit would never call me (a second time) and there are others that are from places I've never heard of. I've received all the annoying ones you list, as well. The one I don't get anymore, and was fun to mess with, was the one where someone would say that our Windows computer was sending out bogus emails. I would ask which one and they would answer "your Windows computer" and I would ask again which one? We only have at least 5 running in the house at any given time. They'd finally get mad and hang up on me. When you are retired you have time to play with them. The ones that threaten to send the police I just hang up on. At least NOMOROBO catches a bunch of the 1-800 callers. I hate them and refuse to deal with anyone using them. Even if I know the outfit and would otherwise talk with them.

I got the FAA history CD for my plane when I bought it. Turned out the original owner lived in the next town over. The plane itself had been around the country since he sold it. I googled the name and found a guy that sounded like the right one. Sent him an email and let him know his plane was back in town. He was thrilled to hear about it and I sent him some pictures. He told me stories of how he used the plane and I shared how I used it and what modifications had been made and where the plane had been over the years.
No selling or buying involved, but I think I refreshed a good memory for the old owner.

So.... Let it be? Is it worth a title search? Never delved into those sorts of things. Husband and wife were registered owners. She passed in 04, he passed in 2010. He never made it past student pilot. Her son, his stepson did have his certificate. But his last medical of record was 2000. Flight aware shows somebody flew it in 2003. If it was being flown it would show up as they'd have it located well within the ADS-b veil. I'm not afraid of projects. I know when to walk away. But I'd like to at least take a look of possible. Somebody obviously cares enough to keep the registration somewhat current

I knew a gentleman who made a business out of finding hangar-queens, cleaning them up and flipping them. This works if you can get clean title at a steep discount and if you are partnered with a IA who can make the plane flyable and sellable. My favorite plane in his inventory was late Pa28-235 that spent 18years parked.
Most planes that were in good shape 10 years ago when they were parked will start right up with a new battery and fresh fuel. After you relocate the plane to your hangar you do things like replacing rubber pieces, install an ADSB transponder, buff up the paint. Your IA would have to check for any show-stopper items like a crank that is under recall etc.before you make any commitment.

With the estate issue, you just need to be certain that the person selling is authorized to do so. If he isn't, this can bite you when either:
- the FAA rejects the registration and you don't find out until after you installed avionics etc.
- other beneficiaries of the estate note that the 'expensive plane' is gone and now come after the seller for their share of the treasure. While their claim would be against the party that sold the plane without authority, you could be part of the festivities if it goes to court.

I knew a gentleman who made a business out of finding hangar-queens, cleaning them up and flipping them. This works if you can get clean title at a steep discount and if you are partnered with a IA who can make the plane flyable and sellable. My favorite plane in his inventory was late Pa28-235 that spent 18years parked.
Most planes that were in good shape 10 years ago when they were parked will start right up with a new battery and fresh fuel. After you relocate the plane to your hangar you do things like replacing rubber pieces, install an ADSB transponder, buff up the paint. Your IA would have to check for any show-stopper items like a crank that is under recall etc.before you make any commitment.

With the estate issue, you just need to be certain that the person selling is authorized to do so. If he isn't, this can bite you when either:
- the FAA rejects the registration and you don't find out until after you installed avionics etc.
- other beneficiaries of the estate note that the 'expensive plane' is gone and now come after the seller for their share of the treasure. While their claim would be against the party that sold the plane without authority, you could be part of the festivities if it goes to court.
Appreciate it. Funny the plane in question is a '73-235 that appears to have been sitting about that long

Think I'm gonna write a letter, I personally get at least 4 or 5 junk calls from my area code every day so I'm not picking up a call unless they're in my contacts. I did a title search and it looks like after the stepfather passed the stepson attempted to get it registered in his name. The state put a lien on it for $133. Last registration renewal in October 2020 had both parents listed as owners. Signed by them beyond the grave even. They passed in '04 and 2010.

If you were calling me about the possibility of buying my plane, that offer better be well above market value, and cash. Otherwise its an annoying waste of time, and I don't appreciate it. Hopefully my cell phone number wouldn't be public enough for someone to track me down, and call. Now if you were to see me at say an airport someplace, and just wanted to come ask me about my plane, that is welcome. Two totally different reasons for talking me about my plane, and ways of contact. But a cold call will probably be over in 8 seconds, and that number blocked. Thankfully my plane will be owned by a numbered holding company, instead of me personally, so that should solve all of the problems.

Last edited:
Back