Col. Halvorsen, "Berlin Candy Bomber", flies west at 100

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/17/us/gail-halvorsen-obituary.html

This is an excellent recap of the Berlin Airlift and Col. Halvorsen's role in it, with a brief interview of him. YouTube won't let us embed the video here, so click on the "Watch on YouTube" link. Go to the 32:00 minute mark in the video if it doesn't take you there automatically.

Thanks, Jeff. I just read of Col. Halvorsen's passing.

Col. Gail Halvorsen.jpg
He commanded the 6596th Instrumentation Squadron at Vandenberg AFB from 1965 to 1967. He took command a year after my PCS in 1964 from the 6596th to the 2727th Air Munitions Test Squadron at Hill AFB. I'm sorry I never met him, missing being in his squadron by a year. By all accounts he was a prince of a man. His "Candy Bomber" exploits during the Berlin Airlift were legendary.

Wikipedia said:
From 1962 to 1965, Halvorsen served in Wiesbaden, West Germany, with the Foreign Technology division of AF Systems Command.[9] He was next assigned to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Research and Development, HQ USAF, the Pentagon, and in the Directorate of Space and Technology.[9] He developed plans for the advanced manned reusable spacecraft, space policy and procedures, and on the Manned Orbital Laboratory Project.[9] He then was given the command of the 6596th Instrumentation Squadron of the AF Systems Command Satellite Control Facility, Vandenberg AFB, California, which was involved in both satellite launch and orbit operations.[9]

Last edited:
Clear skies and tailwinds Mr. Halversen. Your story is an inspiration to me. Thank you.

Colonel Halverson was a credit to America and he brought honor to aviation in general. Probably did more than all the diplomats and all the speeches to repair relations with a conquered people.

A snapshot of Col. Halvorsen's amazing USAAF and USAF career.

From Together We Served.
Col. Gail Halvorsen Unit Assignments.jpg

So sad, but the human race was lucky to have him. RIP

Back