Cogscreen - If all pilots had to take it, how many would pass?

Do you think you would pass the cogscreen test on first try?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Passed it at my Delta interview. I did lots of prep. It still wasn’t easy but I was familiar and got some practice beforehand.
Could you please send a link or anything of value on where to find the prep information?

Thank you

I did the full eval, which the cog screen was a small part of that. It’s all very daunting because you don’t know what you’re walking into. In my opinion, that is why it is extremely important to go somewhere that has deep experience administering these tests.

Having a doctor that frequently administers these can clearly explain the process which will alleviate the nervousness.

The cog screen really wasn’t bad. The technology used is a little dated, but it’s pretty simplistic. Like most tests, it’s going to find your weakness areas. Don’t let that get in your head. Just keep relaxed and plug away with the tasks.

Just a helpful hint: there is nothing that prohibits you from talking to yourself during the test. Remember that.
YES. I definitely verbalized certain things which helped keep certain things straight.

I went through the neuropsychological evaluation (cog screen) back in December and the buildup was stressful to say the least. The doctor told me not to be discouraged if I have to stay all day as only about 30% pass the initial battery. After 5 hours of running the gauntlet, the neuropsychologist said I did very well, making the supplemental battery unnecessary. She also said to be very careful driving home and to expect mental fatigue into the next day and she wasn't kidding. I was mentally exhausted but so proud of what I had just accomplished. Now I'm waiting for a decision from the FAA but that's a topic for another thread..
THIS is the information I came here to find. I took (passed!) the cogscreen a day and a half ago, and I have been in an absolute fog ever since. 5.5 hours of testing designed to push the brain to its limits is a lot to take.
I’m glad to hear this experience isn’t abnormal.

the COGscreen is a terrible way to screen someone for The FAA....your driving records it 100 times more valuable
But then how else will all the practitioners that are fiends with FAA med officers going to get their money? Then the corrupt medical officers at the FAA won’t be able to get their kickbacks too.

And your evidence for this is…..?
"Flying Ron" withdrew a post here, stating that the FAA was getting kickbacks on Cogscreen). I will not post the quote as he is a Mod.

Last edited:
THIS is the information I came here to find. I took (passed!) the cogscreen a day and a half ago, and I have been in an absolute fog ever since. 5.5 hours of testing designed to push the brain to its limits is a lot to take.
I’m glad to hear this experience isn’t abnormal.
Congratulations!

Passed it at my Delta interview. I did lots of prep. It still wasn’t easy but I was familiar and got some practice beforehand.
Jordane93, I also am a Delta Pilot and remember taking this test. I have to take it again due to a medical diagnosis and I'm wondering if you could share where you were able to obtain prep materials. Theyre very hard to come by. I'd be greatly appreciative.

Jordane93, I also am a Delta Pilot and remember taking this test. I have to take it again due to a medical diagnosis and I'm wondering if you could share where you were able to obtain prep materials. Theyre very hard to come by. I'd be greatly appreciative.

Get a good night’s sleep and relax. Take it from someone that has experience doing the tests. Friendly tip, you can absolutely talk to yourself out loud during the test. This may come in handy.

I used the luminosity app and ready, set, takeoff cog prep.

Jordane93, I also am a Delta Pilot and remember taking this test. I have to take it again due to a medical diagnosis and I'm wondering if you could share where you were able to obtain prep materials. Theyre very hard to come by. I'd be greatly

I used the luminosity app and ready, set, takeoff cog prep.
I used Lumosity and Elevate. While games and apps haven't been PROVEN to improve cognitive ability, I guarantee the familiarity and the confidence that goes along with it, does help. Several times during the test, I remember thinking, "oh, this is just like the race car/train/seashell/etc. game"
I agree with the previous posts about getting a good night's sleep. If you have to travel a good distance to take the test, do it the day before and get a quiet hotel so you're not dealing with traffic. I also recommend getting some exercise or a good workout either the night before or that morning. If you meditate, do that before you leave your house/hotel and do it again out in the parking lot right before you go in. If you're a coffee drinker, don't drink any more or any less than you normally do. You want to be alert but also relaxed at the same time.

Last edited:
Could you please send a link or anything of value on where to find the prep information?

Thank you
Dr.Bracy in Indianapolis IN. He created exercises to trian pilot all over the world. The name of his company is Neurophsychologist Center of Indianapolis. $300 for 2hr remote sessions. 90% of the pilots he trains pass. Just so you know, the cog test is the hardest part. Good luck.

Five or more of the symptoms in DSM-5 that "have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is inconsistent with developmental level and that negatively impacts directly on social and academic/occupational activities" and you think that's not a problem?

Thank God for the system.
I guess the point is.. if potential focus and attention issues are such a serious concern, then they should test ALL pilots for these issues. They however only test those that have sought help for this issue. That just discourages potential pilots seeking mental health treatment when it's actually needed, making them more of a danger in the air.

Back