Cog screen not for the FAA

kmacht

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Kmacht
So I have a bit of an oddball question. I was diagnosed a few years back with multiple sclerosis after having some vision issues. Thankfully I got connected with a great neurologist at Yale and we have it under control with medicine and an MRI every 6months to watch for progression. I had a follow up visit yesterday and one of the issues we discussed was word finding. Not often but more so over the past 6 months I have found myself having trouble finding a specific word when speaking. Think of it like when the word is on the tip of your tongue but you just can’t think of it. My no neurologist believes it may be related to MS but since it is just a minor issue right now we are going to monitor and see if it progresses. She was recommending that I go get a cog screen test done just to set a baseline so if it were to progress there would be a base to compare it to. This has me worried as it seems like this type of test can bring up all sorts of things the FAA doesn’t like. Right now I have a PPL but have been flying under sport Pilot as my plane and another I use for training all fit under the LSA rules. I don’t ever think I will get back to having a 3rd class medical but my last one was new enough that I could technically qualify for basic med if I ever tried to peruse that route. My question is what concerns should I have with taking a cog screen test not mandated by the FAA. Does the FAA look at them and the results like a hard diagnosis or only in the context of being combined with other issues. This is something my neurologist is recommending but not requiring. I can see her view where it would be beneficial to track MS progress years down the road but also don’t want to screw myself out of being able to fly under LSA or Basic Med just for a good to have type of test.

If you're flying under basic med, how is the FAA going to look at the results? MS and aphasia and other aspects are not one of the disqualifying conditions for basic med. As long as your doctor signed the CMEC and your self-appraisal is that you are safe to fly, you can.

Agree on the premise that you're flying under BasicMed so reportability becomes less of an issue. Your medical safety of flight is really between you and your doc with the exception of the specific BasicMed disqualifying conditions. The progression of your condition is a reasonable concern and a baseline would be valuable in evaluating that progression. Remember, health first, airplane fun later.

I've heard anecdotes of baseline neuropsychological functioning actually saving people who subsequently have traumatic brain injury from being grounded. Basically proving they're still as dumb as they were before their brain got smashed. :)

Your docs wouldn't recommend it if they didn't think it was important. If you want confirmation, flat out ask them if they would do it themselves in your situation. When you listen to the answer remember that it's health and life first before flying.

An approach that comes to mind here - off the cuff, just an idea.

MS is a progressive disease and at some point you may progress far enough that flying is not wise. Everyone moves at a different speed in their progression and some people don’t move forward at all. Have a discussion with your doctor now about the progression and together make your “minimums” decision now. If you reach that minimums point, recognize that your flying days are over. It’s probably a soft limit in that you won’t be able to definitively say when you’re at it, but you’ll know when it’s close. Then, have the good grace to accept it.

just an idea how you might manage knowing when it’s time to stop. Meanwhile, go do what you need to for health and forget about the FAA’s medical system. You’re not in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back