Cockpit Storage 172N

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
It occurred to me the other day that I've been lugging my training flight bag back and forth between my house and plane not really realizing I could probably just leave it in the Hangar. Which then prompted my thought on if I need a flight bag at all.

I'm fairly streamlined not carrying a lot of extra stuff with me and at the same time don't want to plane to look like a high school locker. My bag is also really too big to put in front of the fuel selector so that got me thinking about other options. I can disperse things between the glove box, side pockets and back of the seats so really all I want is a removable storage area for my ipad, backup GPS, charger and cables.

My concern with using a smaller bag in front of the fuel selector is it moving around as I fly, getting stuck under the rudder or something as equally strange. I came across the Brightline B0 Slim (14.0" tall, 10.5" wide, 1.75" deep) which appears to be the front and the back of their bag system which would probably work. It's the size of a normal portfolio so I could slide that between the seats and take it with me if I want.

Any ideas? Also thought about maybe a smaller bag with Velcro on the bottom to keep it from sliding.

Edit: Here's a picture of the thing.
B00_04ag_hires_webr.png

Last edited:
That's setup I used during IR training. I left my foggles and headset and hand held radio in the plane so no need for the large internal compartment or side pocket. I was able to put my 2 ipads, Stratus, head lamps, wallet, phone, etc in there.

Once I was done with IR training I added the smallest center section so that I could take my headset out of the airplane when I went someplace overnight.

I also bought bags for my kids thinking they'd love having their own bags (and they do have a need to store their headsets on trips). They loved it but I still end up carrying all four bags. And that's why I also own a set of light weight fold-flat luggage wheels. :mad2:

I have a bag but very rarely use it. Typically the only thing I'm taking flying is my Zulu and I don't bother to use any case for it.

I'm not a fan of those huge duffel bag type flight bags. I like my David Clark Deluxe Headset bag. It has the main pocket for headset and a few tiny pockets for miscellaneous stuff like pens, fuel tester, charts, etc.

I just use a knapsack for "stuff" that needs to carried to/away from the plane. It goes on the back seat while in flight. If the back seat is occupied it can go under my seat.

My flight bag consists of an iPad and my DC Pro-X with the little headset bag. Pens go in my pocket and one clipped to my shirt. Works in my Cherokee, works in the jet too.

Honestly how much crap do you need to fly a 172, even in IMC!

You have enough space, if you need more its a sign you have too much junk.

Headset with my pen & pad/ipad, works for hard IMC in a turboprop.

That's setup I used during IR training. I left my foggles and headset and hand held radio in the plane so no need for the large internal compartment or side pocket. I was able to put my 2 ipads, Stratus, head lamps, wallet, phone, etc in there.

Once I was done with IR training I added the smallest center section so that I could take my headset out of the airplane when I went someplace overnight.

So you bought a Brightline, shoved it between the seats and it held up well?

I also found some strange plastic box thing that maybe you Velcro between the fuel selector and seats. Reminds me of the deal my grandfather had on the transmission hump in his old sedan. Looked a bit like a cooler with cup-holders.

Not a lot, which is why I don't need a bag. So where can I shove a backup Ipad, GPS, charger and cables? The glove box has the backup radio, foggles and logbook. The side pocket pilot side has the checklist, knee board, paper and pens.

I don't wear cargo shorts or maybe that's the solution right there.

Most of my instructing and personal flying - headset is plenty.

If it's my airplane then most everything I could need is stashed in it.

Going to pickup some "new" airplane someone bought that I've never even seen before that I need to cross the country in?

Time to get out the giant flight bag...because I'll probably want to bring along:

- Headset
- Spare headset because having my Zulu **** out with 10 hours of flying to get done that day would really suck.
- Spare batteries for headset
- iPad
- Stratus
- Handheld radio so that I can get into towered airports when I discover that the entire com system is junk.
- Chargers for above
- External battery for chargers because the power outlet in the plane probably doesn't work.
- Something to sump fuel with because the airplane probably doesn't have it
- A basic set of tools to fix whatever the hell is definitely going to break.
- Duct Tape to keep on whatever is probably falling off the airplane
- Rope so that I have some means to tie the airplane down at unstaffed Podunk airport when that big front I landed in front of is about to hit.
- A few quarts of oil.
- A sharp knife

Yeah, it's a lot of ****, and it takes a big bag, but that bag is full of items that I wish I would have had on previous "experiences". Some of those items are the difference between getting the airplane home over the weekend versus being stranded until Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:
Not a lot, which is why I don't need a bag. So where can I shove a backup Ipad, GPS, charger and cables? The glove box has the backup radio, foggles and logbook. The side pocket pilot side has the checklist, knee board, paper and pens.

In the summer I always wear cargo shorts (that are full of oil stains) whenever I'm flying my Flybaby. The pockets work well for stuffing random stuff since the cockpit isn't exactly roomy.

That's too much stuff.

You don't need your logbook (PPL & above), you don't NEED a ipad, let alone a backup.

The battery on my ipad mini will exceed my aircrafts endurance.

Charging cables can go in the back

The cover of most ipad cases can have a band stiched to it for a legal pad, it'll serve as your knee board and pen holder.

Checklist shouldn't be more than a folded sheet of paper, laminated.

That's too much stuff.

You don't need your logbook (PPL & above), you don't NEED a ipad, let alone a backup.

The battery on my ipad mini will exceed my aircrafts endurance.

Charging cables can go in the back

Sorry it's the aircraft log. I'm not sure I NEED any of it either, although when that Overvoltage sensor went out it was nice to track via the Ipad and use the backup GPS.

Sorry it's the aircraft log. I'm not sure I NEED any of it either, although when that Overvoltage sensor went out it was nice to track via the Ipad and use the backup GPS.

Aircraft log?

Like the airframe or engine log?

I also found some strange plastic box thing that maybe you Velcro between the fuel selector and seats. Reminds me of the deal my grandfather had on the transmission hump in his old sedan. Looked a bit like a cooler with cup-holders.

There is a homemade Lucite box in one of the 182s I rent.

It's used for holding checklists, charts, tablets, etc., even a fuel tester, stick and the control lock (when it isn't in use). It's just wide enough to fit in between the seats, and is about as long and high as the seats cushions. On the front, there is a big plastic dowel with a flared end that sticks out about 6 inches, just perfect for holding two headsets when the plane is parked, or one when it's flying. No clearance issues with anything, and it doesn't move around.

I'm a bit surprised that no one carries water when they fly. That's one of the things on my gotta-have list. Dehydration makes you susceptible to hypoxia and heat exhaustion, both of which can cause motor coordination issues.

Last edited:
Roll your own. My panel has three separate glove boxes. There's a cubby box in each wing root with doors. My problem isn't storage, it's remembering where I put stuff.

Do I need an A&P or STC to install this?

con5-v.jpg

I'm with you. Headset bag with my headset, iPad, Stratus 2.

I used to fly with a huge flight bag until I realized I was hauling around a ton of **** that I never used in flight.

Back