cockpit organization and checklist use

Trouble is, we can sit here for hours thinking of all sorts of things that would be bad in IMC, or problematic for one way or another. That's how we end up with 172 checklists that are several times longer than the one I use while at work.
No, that's not at all the reason.

The reason is making a checklist as a set of instructions.

You can anticipate all the possible bad things that might happen and still get a checklist that fits on one kneeboard size page, containing all the normal checklists. BTDT.

As the user of a roll-your-own, but relatively detailed checklist, I'm feeling stoopid. o_O

Evidently, I would find that completely useless too.

What does "Switches PRN" mean?
Switches means the electrical switches.
"PRN" is a medical abbreviation that basically means "as needed." I'm not in that field but it seems to be a nice concise abbreviation for the checklist, especially for items I often forget, like the landing lights during daytime.

My friend wasn't put off by the PRN, but he was by not have a list of the switches that needed to be turned on and off at various phases of flight..

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or do you agree there is only one right way to do something?
Sorry, I thought it would be obvious from the other posts and didn't need a
sarcasm.png

checklist item.

You can anticipate all the possible bad things that might happen and still get a checklist that fits on one kneeboard size page, containing all the normal checklists. BTDT.

That's just it though - everyone has a differing opinion of how 'bad' something needs to be to justify being on a checklist. I don't think any of it is necessarily wrong - just as long as we remain disciplined in how we execute what's there (and not there) - but I do think there's a point where we start losing the forest from the trees.

Switches means the electrical switches.
"PRN" is a medical abbreviation that basically means "as needed." I'm not in that field but it seems to be a nice concise abbreviation for the checklist, especially for items I often forget, like the landing lights during daytime.

My friend wasn't put off by the PRN, but he was by not have a list of the switches that needed to be turned on and off at various phases of flight..
"You use HDG mode when you want to fly a specific heading.
You use NAV mode when you want to track a course.
You use VS mode when you want to climb or descend at a specific vertical speed.
You use VNAV mode when you want to comply with the VNAV altitudes in your FMS...."

Yes, I've had that conversation.

That's just it though - everyone has a differing opinion of how 'bad' something needs to be to justify being on a checklist. I don't think any of it is necessarily wrong - just as long as we remain disciplined in how we execute what's there (and not there) - but I do think there's a point where we start losing the forest from the trees.
I think you are absolutely right. But I think when checklists cover too much, there's also a point where we start losing individual trees because they are hidden among so many.

I think you are absolutely right. But I think when checklists cover too much, there's also a point where we start losing individual trees because they are hidden among so many.
That's true. I think the bigger problem though, is what the guy in the article I linked to addressed. The forest is the big picture and over dependence on checklists can inhibit pilots from forming a good view of the big picture. I noticed this when I transitioned into large aircraft. I once deleted an entire flight plan in the FMS with a wrong Direct To entry. For a few seconds I was totally lost in a way that I hadn't been before. I disagree with the philosophy that all GA training should be geared to training students as if they are moving up to the airlines.

I disagree with the philosophy that all GA training should be geared to training students as if they are moving up to the airlines.

There definitely is some of that in the biz. Talking with some of the best CFI's I've flown with or been around, one of their first assessments is the current mission and plans of the pilot, and they do modify their training to some extent to match the risks of that mission. Single-pilot IFR in something without much automation is a scenario that technically all pilots with appropriate ratings should be able to handle, but it's worth telling the student they're in the world of really high workload and highest risk they can choose and teach them coping skils. That same student without appropriate training is also a total mess in a multi-pilot cockpit.

Back