Coastal Vacation Suggestions?

Check out 4r9, Dauphin Island, just a few miles west of JKA. Free shuttle service by day, gulf beaches, town rolls up the sidewalks at night, plenty of good seafood. We stayed at a motel a couple of nights but I am sure there are hotels with room service or delivery options to suit. Just don't do it in July like we did. OMG hot and humid by day, and OMG mosquitos when the sun went down.

Having lived the dream, so to speak, when Tomster was a wee-one, I would think you'd want (best result) something right on the beach, and with a kitchen or kitchenette. Less the big hotel, better the house or condo.

You might look hard at VRBO options... hotels/motels which meet that spec are a dying breed, I fear.

--

Edit: I found an old postcard of our favorite: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/232/503569023_35da687fb2_z.jpg?zz=1

So I am waking up a now couple month old thread, but thought I would put in a vote for Virginia Beach since it seems to be getting trashed quite a bit here.

This is one of those questions like "What Plane Should I Buy?" and then everyone asks what the mission is and before you know it anything short of a 747 is too small.

I am going to look into every one of the other suggestions because they all sound amazing. Most of the suggestions fell into the $500+ a night at least from what I could see.

We are New Englanders, so Cape Cod beaches are the norm. For us, in the Cherokee Virginia Beach has been one of those great family traditions but it is not for everyone. The agenda is go to the beach, good food, and then back to the beach. It works for us.

Myrtle looks like a great place to go as well but I am unclear what to do with the kids (9 and 11) down there, and we don't golf.

Jeff, thanks for the input.

We may not end up doing the trip this year, between Wings a few weeks ago and then the 4th in Nebraska with Laurie's family. More likely is going someplace warm during the winter.

So I am waking up a now couple month old thread, but thought I would put in a vote for Virginia Beach since it seems to be getting trashed quite a bit here.

This is one of those questions like "What Plane Should I Buy?" and then everyone asks what the mission is and before you know it anything short of a 747 is too small.

I am going to look into every one of the other suggestions because they all sound amazing. Most of the suggestions fell into the $500+ a night at least from what I could see.

We are New Englanders, so Cape Cod beaches are the norm. For us, in the Cherokee Virginia Beach has been one of those great family traditions but it is not for everyone. The agenda is go to the beach, good food, and then back to the beach. It works for us.

Myrtle looks like a great place to go as well but I am unclear what to do with the kids (9 and 11) down there, and we don't golf.

I went to Virginia Beach growing up - and then went back some 40 years later. I liked it then and still do. Clean water, nice sand and decent surf - and plenty to do. Have been to many of the places further South and find most of them lacking in one way or another.

I attended a training session in Destin, FL. at the Sandestin Inn several years ago, and it is quite nice (and right on the beach) but it is a highrise. The snacks they served at session breaks were delicious. The sand and the water were great - but there was no surf while I was there. And the weather wasn't all that warm in April, either.

Dave

I went to Virginia Beach growing up - and then went back some 40 years later. I liked it then and still do. Clean water, nice sand and decent surf - and plenty to do. Have been to many of the places further South and find most of them lacking in one way or another.

I attended a training session in Destin, FL. at the Sandestin Inn several years ago, and it is quite nice (and right on the beach) but it is a highrise. The snacks they served at session breaks were delicious. The sand and the water were great - but there was no surf while I was there. And the weather wasn't all that warm in April, either.

Dave[/QUOTE

if you want surf in Florida you need an east wind and the Atlantic side of the state.

Back