Coastal Vacation Suggestions?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
We're thinking about a family vacation to the coast this summer in the 310. The basic description of what we're looking for is a hotel/resort with good room service where we can get a room with a king size bed and walk right onto the beach from the room. Don't want to be a block away from the beach, want to be on it. At this point with the baby that convenience is worth it.

Since we're thinking summer, we're probably going to aim for Florida or maybe the Carolinas. That narrows it down to only a few thousand options. Does anyone have anyplace in particular they've gone that they can recommend?

Last edited:
Lots a great places in Destin, beaches are outstanding and great airport. Panama City is OK too, a little wilder than Destin, but still nice beaches!:D

Ill second destin. If you see a Florida post card with that signature blue-grern water odds are it was taken near Destin.

Yeah, Tybee Island, Amelia Island, St Symons. . .

If you can live with cooler water and interesting things to do - and day trips in the airplane - think MVY . . .

Ocean place or bungalow in long branch nj

I know lots of people who want you to stay out of NJ . . . :goofy:

But seriously, most people want warm water on the ocean - and that means Myrtle Beach and south . . .

If you go to the Gulf Coast you'll find clear water and warm water . . . and lots of cheap beer.

Marathon Is FL. You've got the gulf on one side, and the Atlantic on the other. Islamorada is just up the road, then John Pennekamp marine park, the other way is Key west including the Key deer and several great fishing places. Maybe a day trip up to Crystal River for a swim with manatees. Another trip over to Nassau for some fishing or diving.

I love the beach and water at Destin. The traffic and crowds make it tough at times, IMO. That area is very highly developed and is the prototypical touristy type area.

I also love the beaches in the Charleston area. Isle of Palms is a favorite. Good beach, Atlantic (grey) water. Not a lot of traffic and many things to do other than go to the beach.

Orange Beach, AL. I spent Thanksgiving there last year and it was great. Hilton Garden Inn is right on the beach. My wife had a co-worker that made that his yearly vacation spot for years, so we gave it a try and it was great. Yes, the water was bit chilly in November, but that didn't stop me.

Orange Beach, AL. I spent Thanksgiving there last year and it was great. Hilton Garden Inn is right on the beach. My wife had a co-worker that made that his yearly vacation spot for years, so we gave it a try and it was great. Yes, the water was bit chilly in November, but that didn't stop me.

This. Jack Edwards airport is right there. Was just there in February.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look at them more closely this evening.

Just curious: Have you ever stayed "right on the beach" before?

Yep, sure have. And like I said, for a future trip we'd likely not bother. Makes sense for this trip given what we want to do.

We did look up your wonderful piece of paradise, and would like to go to it for vacation someday. Today is not that day.

I know lots of people who want you to stay out of NJ . . . :goofy:

Including me! :D

We did go sailing off the NJ coast once and it was fun, although I think we'd head elsewhere for future sailing adventures. South of the Mason-Dixon for this trip.

Last edited:
You're a pilot. Kill Devil Hills, NC.
I was wondering about the same thing as Ted. I am trying to plan a trip down in that area soon. I was thinking carolina beach, virginia beach, but I haven't heard of Kill Devil Hills. You have any more information on this one?

I was wondering about the same thing as Ted. I am trying to plan a trip down in that area soon. I was thinking carolina beach, virginia beach, but I haven't heard of Kill Devil Hills. You have any more information on this one?

Kill Devil Hills is the spot where the Wrights did their first test flights (not Kitty Hawk, which is nearby). It's on a barrier island in the north part of the Outer Banks. There are a bunch of beachside motels there. And an airport (KFFA).

It's kinda isolated, but beach crowds really aren't much fun.

Last edited:
Destin all the way.
Eat at the Backporch and the Donut Hole.

While I have never stayed "on the beach" in the Venice area the airport is a mile walk from the beach and is a great little airport. I recommend Sharkey's which is a great restaurant on the beach near the airport. There are places to stay on the beach not too far from the airport.

Orange Beach is nice and its a little less developed so if youre looking for state parks its a nice place.

This. Jack Edwards airport is right there. Was just there in February.

Ive only flown over Jack Edwards but its got more runways than most places on the beach haha

My brother got married just south of Charleston, SC. They rented a house right on the beach, and it was beautiful. I think it was Foley Beach, may have been Isle of Palms.

Kill Devil Hills is the spot where the Wrights did their first test flights (not Kitty Hawk, which is nearby). It's on a barrier island in the north part of the Outer Banks. There are a bunch of beachside motels there. And an airport (KFFA).

It's kinda isolated, but beach crowds really aren't much fun.

If you fly into First Flight (KFFA), it's free to visit the monument and museum there, but if you drive, there's a fee. It's a nice trip, I've flown in several times.

Maybe Jekyll Island, GA? The air strip there (09J) is pretty nice, it's just a hop over the river from Saint Simons Island. The FBO is very accomodating, the beaches are great, there's some other stuff to do there too, a water park on the island, the Jekyll Island Club/Hotel, a lot of historic homes etc. I always have enjoyed that as a get away place.

Maybe Jekyll Island, GA? The air strip there (09J) is pretty nice, it's just a hop over the river from Saint Simons Island. The FBO is very accomodating, the beaches are great, there's some other stuff to do there too, a water park on the island, the Jekyll Island Club/Hotel, a lot of historic homes etc. I always have enjoyed that as a get away place.
We had a week at Jekyll Island and enjoyed it very much.

i'm surprised Jay didn't suggest Port Aransas

If it is truly "beach" you want, it is very difficult to beat Florida's panhandle gulf coast.

Destin mentioned, very nice but also very crowded. Panama City Beach used to be our "go to" place, but then it got fully discovered by the developers, and nearly all the less-giant hotels were summarily torn down and huge condos erected.

Our current default destination is Pensacola Beach, which we've always enjoyed. Good airport at KPNS, lots of hotel choices (last trip, we used Margaritaville, liked it just fine as it was on the less-crowded part of the beach). As always, must visit Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola NAS. Takes all day, worth it every time.

Also, might look, into Cocoa Beach (fly into KTIX, Titusville), which with the end of the shuttle program, I suspect may be less costly as the local accommodations accommodate, themselves, to their new economic reality). We liked it as well. Visit NASA.

"MAX OF 24 HRS PARKING PERMITTED. NO MORE THAN TWO OVERNIGHT STAYS PER MONTH."

For the LOVE OF GOD if you come to Destin please please please review this first - https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=47&sID=278&preview=true - Thank you.

Why should he be the first to review that before flying into Destin???:mad2::mad2: If it wasn't dangerous, it would be funny listening to people depart VFR and IFR without a clearance! :mad2: Another helpful hint for the IFR pilots is CANCEL the IFR when you have the field made and hear 5 other airplanes on Eglin Approach being held all over the place for you to land or cancel! :dunno:

"MAX OF 24 HRS PARKING PERMITTED. NO MORE THAN TWO OVERNIGHT STAYS PER MONTH."

Well, that sucks. There is another airport on Roanoke Island, not too far away. You'll need a car, though. There is a bridge.

Driving in from Elizabeth City would suck. It's a haul. Might be better in a boat....

There is Ocean Isle NC, Oak Island NC...both with kick ass airports...(60J, SUT)

Carolina, Kure and Wrightsville Beach...Wilmington is a great town...(ILM)

N. Myrtle Beach. (CRE) More places to stay than you care to count...great airport...

Hilton Head...expensive but very nice...many places...

St Simon Island..a few very nice places to stay there ...great airport...King and Prince Resort was great...

Jekyl Island

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look at them more closely this evening.

Yep, sure have. And like I said, for a future trip we'd likely not bother. Makes sense for this trip given what we want to do.

We did look up your wonderful piece of paradise, and would like to go to it for vacation someday. Today is not that day.

I wasn't going to suggest our island, as you're too far away. I just wanted to make sure that you knew what you were asking for. We've stayed "right on the beach", and it is not pleasant.

Well, okay, it has it's moments. We park our motorhome 20' from the waves once a month, and enjoy the sound of the surf. But in order to experience "waking up on the beach" you must be willing to accept sand in your food, clothing, shoes, bed...basically everything. You will also find yourself covered in salt spray in an amazingly short period. If you wear glasses, this gets incredibly annoying.

Of course, I live on an island. What I experience every day is what you guys travel vast distances to get, so I know my tolerance for this stuff is worn thin. These problems, however, are very real, and are why we did not buy a hotel that was right "on the beach". Unless you are able to accept lodging that is less than clean, stay a few blocks from the water.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Never been but know some folks that love Ocracoke

Wonderful place, highly recommended... but, there isn't anything "on the beach", although there are a few rental homes that are on the sound. Having a baby along complicates this for Ted.

Gary

Ocean city maryland has tons of hotels beachfront. Virginia beach is ok...if I were feeling selfish I'd say come here to Virginia beach, that way maybe I could score a ride in the 310:D:yes:....OCMD is better though IMO.

Wonderful place, highly recommended... but, there isn't anything "on the beach", although there are a few rental homes that are on the sound. Having a baby along complicates this for Ted.

Gary

Correct, and hence part of the "on the beach" requirement. I've enjoyed it when I've done it, and being able to get back to the room quickly (and our stuff) without hauling things is important in this case.

Ocean city maryland has tons of hotels beachfront. Virginia beach is ok...if I were feeling selfish I'd say come here to Virginia beach, that way maybe I could score a ride in the 310:D:yes:....OCMD is better though IMO.

Actually we want smaller and less busy. Which reminds me that my aunt and uncle have a house there. I've never been invited, but at least they might have some input.

I'd be glad to give you a 310 ride - but your best bet for that is going to be either come up to visit in Ohio or come to Wings. :)

Correct, and hence part of the "on the beach" requirement. I've enjoyed it when I've done it, and being able to get back to the room quickly (and our stuff) without hauling things is important in this case.

Believe me... I DO understand the issues with the beach and babies - it a a complication!! If you are looking at the Outer Banks, the only other option (at least for Ocracoke) is to take your four wheel drive with you and drive out to the beach. Did this quite a lot when the kids were little. If you want a house on the beach, there are plenty of those from Corrola all the way south to Hatteras.

This one is about as close as you can get!!

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/house.html?ID=367

Gary

One of the challenges, of course, is being "on the beach" without the irritation and disruption of being "in a high-rise."

Economics have just about done away with small, convenient hotels on the beach; our favorite, in Panama City Beach, had the appealing-yet-simple name, "Miracle Strip Beach Motel," and it was (1) block built, (2) very simple, and hence (3) easy to clean (and they did a fine job). Unfortunately, it succumbed to condo-frenzy about eight years ago.

By the way, Jay would have been fascinated at some of the pictures they used to maintain at the Miracle Strip Beach Motel, of rooms after spring break. They had implemented policies very much like what Jay and Mary have, plus a very high (I'm thinking a grand?) cleaning deposit, and the pictures were used when someone would try to complain. They said it really kept down the damage!

Back