Coast to Coast XC?

My longest XC flight so far has been from St. Petersburg FL to Grand Prairie, TX. Headwinds were hellacious. Trip was 870nm and took about 10 hrs. There were a few times ground speed was only about 75 kts. Guess you have to have the headwinds to get the tailwinds. <];-D

I have not flown coast to coast. My longest day was just over 9 hours flying. Went Central IL to Pittsburgh and back. 3 1/2 hours going. 5 1/2 hours coming back.

Flown from the Connecticut to Anchorage coast to coast and back in an Archer. 4 1/4 days each way. Just takes a desire, proper planning and careful watch on the weather and systems enroute, and those miles just float by almost effortlessly. What a satisfying experience. The longest days were the first from Danbury to Duluth, and Saskatoon to Ft Nelson going. Returning the longest was Whitehorse to LLoydminster.

Last edited:
Now THATS truly coast to coast - Anchorage....awesome! For me it was a really really long day out there - 12h in total. The return would have been shorter, but I had to time out some convection over PA and OH by sitting in the pilot's lounge in Gary, IN (see the video - there a segment towards the end with all that). That day ended up being 12h also.

Totally satisfying.

Back