Coast-to-Coast Flight Training

DwayneSmithUSMC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DwayneSmithUSMC
I know this is a long shot but I'm looking for a CFII to help me regain proficiency and complete my IFR training while I move my plane from coast to coast. I'll cover all fuel and hotel costs (2 nights) and give the CFII a plane ticket back to the East coast. If there's any CFII interested please let me know. I'm a PPL holder with nearly 700hrs PIC time logged. Plane is a Cherokee 235 so a HP endorsement will be needed by the CFII.

I know this is a long shot but I'm looking for a CFII to help me regain proficiency and complete my IFR training while I move my plane from coast to coast. I'll cover all fuel and hotel costs (2 nights) and give the CFII a plane ticket back to the East coast. If there's any CFII interested please let me know. I'm a PPL holder with nearly 700hrs PIC time logged. Plane is a Cherokee 235 so a HP endorsement will be needed by the CFII.

Don't forget there's a daily rate for the CFII as well. When were you hoping to do this?

Last edited:
Don't forget there's a daily rate for the CFII as well. When were you hoping to do this?
Thanks for the reply, I've found a CFII. I didn't overlook a daily rate. The CFII gets to time build ~22hrs for free, essentially. That was payment enough for the CFII who took my offer.

I think you meant WORKS for 22 hours for free, but there’s always somebody desperate enough to build hours instead of getting paid what they are worth. But then again, maybe they are getting paid what they are worth.

I see what you did there and I like it.

Everybody can cut their own deal. Personally, I'd charge double for an airline day (hazard pay).
But, seriously, Dwayne, sounds like a great trip, and you'll get some really good experience, have fun!

Thanks for the reply, I've found a CFII. I didn't overlook a daily rate. The CFII gets to time build ~22hrs for free, essentially. That was payment enough for the CFII who took my offer.

Lots of us CFIIs are not interested in time building. It seems like a fast trip so I’d be careful about 61.195, but that’s on him, not you.

61.195 makes no mention of getting paid.
hence the :rolleyes: . Amazing the gymnastics people go through to claim they found a loophole.
Hard to imagine someone would do this for free.
not so hard for me to imagine…22 hours in the logbook, either a week of pounding around the pattern in a hot airplane or a few days of dozing in the right seat at a nice, cool altitude…I can think of a lot of instructors who would jump on that, unfortunately for free.

And considering the number of times I’ve been asked, I can’t imagine the “he’s getting Paid with the time in his logbook” mentality has diminished.

61.195 makes no mention of getting paid. Hard to imagine someone would do this for free.

No it’s not. Time building CFIs/IIs have given away services for free for decades. In the 90s there were entire PFT business models dedicated to pilots paying for right seat SIC turbine time.

Everybody can cut their own deal. Personally, I'd charge double for an airline day (hazard pay).
But, seriously, Dwayne, sounds like a great trip, and you'll get some really good experience, have fun!
I have nearly 1000hrs and this will be my 2nd time doing this. It will be a great experience, for sure. But I don't fly as a career or potential career.

I have nearly 1000hrs and this will be my 2nd time doing this. It will be a great experience, for sure. But I don't fly as a career or potential career.
Sounds like a cool adventure and hopefully learn some stuff along the way.
Does one have to look at someone's credentials very closely if they are a stranger to be sure your ratings/endorsements are going to be good?
Should a CFII consider the condition of a plane in a case like this? Like ask to see logs or recent annuals?
I am guessing you have "nearly" 300 hrs training and not PIC reading your first post?

Have a safe trip.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to add food and evening drinks. :cool:

If you are flying under the hood, you really only need another pilot, someone who is instrument rated can easily show you what you need to know, then you can top that off with lessons later on too.

Don’t forget to add food and evening drinks. :cool:

If you are flying under the hood, you really only need another pilot, someone who is instrument rated can easily show you what you need to know, then you can top that off with lessons later on too.
Thanks! you're right, can't forget dinner and beers!

Sounds like a cool adventure and hopefully learn some stuff along the way.
Does one have to look at someone's credentials very closely if they are a stranger to be sure your ratings/endorsements are going to be good?
Should a CFII consider the condition of a plane in a case like this? Like ask to see logs or recent annuals?
I am guessing you have "nearly" 300 hrs training and not PIC reading your first post?

Have a safe trip.
Thanks so much for the input, no thanks for the cheek. I said what I said about my hours, sorry and I've owned my plane for 10 years now. Sorry if you don't have as many but I'd probably not try to cast doubt on a complete stranger's qualifications ... Have a great day!

All my flying life, for my own learning and development I've looked for instructors who have experience and flight time, not instructors who are seeking experience and flight time for themselves.
A coast-to-coast cross-country trip can be a phenomenal learning opportunity, but instructors who have done this a lot are typically not the ones looking for flight hours for themselves.

- Martin

All my flying life, for my own learning and development I've looked for instructors who have experience and flight time, not instructors who are seeking experience and flight time for themselves.
A coast-to-coast cross-country trip can be a phenomenal learning opportunity, but instructors who have done this a lot are typically not the ones looking for flight hours for themselves.

- Martin
Thanks for the input. It's amazing that I found multiple instructors who were willing to accept this offer.

Back