CO & NM Pilots - Mon Dec 26

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Lunch this morning the consensus - Raton (KRTN) was very appealing for Fern's home-made burgers, and fuel isn't outlandish at $4.99. How about Monday the day after Christmas? Yes, they will be open (called & checked).

I have to miss it, I'm in Hawaii.

If you want to do the trip under the hood Nate, I'll be happy to look outside. Lots of approaches to fly on the way down & back.

Last edited:
We're in. Wendy and I will be there.
What time? Noon? 11:30?

If you want to do the trip under the hood Nate, I'll be happy to look outside. Lots of approaches to fly on the way down & back.

Ahh cool. I thought you might want to fly your bird down.

I'm checking w/ co-owners first in case someone wants to go along, but I'll gladly take ya up on the offer if they're not available.

MEAs are pretty tall down that-a-way I noticed. And the only approach 79M can fly into Raton itself is the VOR/DME that'll take us 20 miles out of our way...

I may bore everyone on board to death with that route. ;)

I'm checking w/ co-owners first in case someone wants to go along, but I'll gladly take ya up on the offer if they're not available.

MEAs are pretty tall down that-a-way I noticed. And the only approach 79M can fly into Raton itself is the VOR/DME that'll take us 20 miles out of our way...

Or you could go east HGO TOBE for lower MEAs. Or file to PUB, do an approach or two at PUB, then VFR into RTN.

Still had the ADF when I made the trip. Anyway, plan on COS and PUB at the very least for approaches. And ya know, Lamar isn't that far out of the way to get in the DME arc...

Well, Karen could always fly down with me.

[snide comment on]
I don't have weight & balance & CG issues to worry about.
[snide comment off]

I'm thinkin arrive between 11:30 & noon, MST. That will give us plenty
of time to eat, get fuel (if needed) and get home before dark.

Opinions?

Sounds about right. See you there!

We're about to launch out of KAPA. See y'all down there. Clark graciously offered to be Safety Pilot again so I will be busy on the way down.

We're not going to make it. My plane is iced into the hangar (6 inch ice berm), no shovels to be found. Going to the store for hangar supplies.

Murphy arrived 12:05.

aefed1ba-c5c9-d9bd.jpg

aefed1ba-c5e9-f413.jpg

Well that was fun and the burgers are good.

On the way down we had a hellacious north wind and I stupidly accepted the ILS 17 at COS since we weren't going to land. My first huge tailwind on an ILS. 140 GS, 85 indicated. Uh oh. Yup, missed the glideslope completely. Clark just laughed, "That's usually a missed approach right there" but he let me try to fix it from above. Which of course isn't smart or allowed normally. Never really got there, lost the localizer too while futzing around trying to get down. Okay we're "really missed" now.

On down to Raton and the 20 miles out to CIM. CIM does some interesting wobbling back and forth inside the canyon/pass there. And the switchover off of PUB is 80 miles out. If you got off the centerline of the airway there a full scale deflection you'd be very close to some evil terrain.

Approach was passable and we got there and fueled up before anyone else arrived.

The chairs are even better. The Raton FBO chairs would be an excellent place for a nap. ;)

Headwinds all the way home after one brief moment of 158 knots groundspeed on the DME on the way down. Going back we had a few minutes of 95. Heh.

We heard Murphy check on with COS Approach behind us as we were just crossing over the VOR northbound.

I told Clark I wanted to see why the radial northwest-bound off BRK is marked "unusable" and NOTAMed as GPS-only, so we turned Location Services on on the iPad for the first time in roughly 40 hours or so -- minus the VFR flights to/from Nebraska and Denver. Then vectors for the 35R ILS at KAPA which seemed to go okay other than they were switching runways to 17 and fairly busy. The usual "break off East prior to the threshold, enter left downwind for 17". Normal.

Thanks much to Clark for going along. He got a work call at 05:00 to start his day and he had already driven to FTG before I called him this morning! Nice of him to drive back to play Safety Pilot all day!

My wife Karen came along too and was a little worried all day about a patient she might need to go visit. Turns out, the reason she couldn't reach her all day was that she went to the hospital early this morning with other problems. Bummer. My work also called but it was for the wrong on-call group. I don't "do" Citrix. ;)

A nice day. Thanks for not letting me look outside all day Clark! ;)

Sounds like fun! I'm in SoCal for another couple of days, but working remote, so double excuses.

Well that was fun and the burgers are good.

On the way down we had a hellacious north wind and I stupidly accepted the ILS 17 at COS since we weren't going to land. My first huge tailwind on an ILS. 140 GS, 85 indicated. Uh oh. Yup, missed the glideslope completely. Clark just laughed, "That's usually a missed approach right there" but he let me try to fix it from above. Which of course isn't smart or allowed normally. Never really got there, lost the localizer too while futzing around trying to get down. Okay we're "really missed" now.

On down to Raton and the 20 miles out to CIM. CIM does some interesting wobbling back and forth inside the canyon/pass there. And the switchover off of PUB is 80 miles out. If you got off the centerline of the airway there a full scale deflection you'd be very close to some evil terrain.

Approach was passable and we got there and fueled up before anyone else arrived.

The chairs are even better. The Raton FBO chairs would be an excellent place for a nap. ;)

Headwinds all the way home after one brief moment of 158 knots groundspeed on the DME on the way down. Going back we had a few minutes of 95. Heh.

We heard Murphy check on with COS Approach behind us as we were just crossing over the VOR northbound.

I told Clark I wanted to see why the radial northwest-bound off BRK is marked "unusable" and NOTAMed as GPS-only, so we turned Location Services on on the iPad for the first time in roughly 40 hours or so -- minus the VFR flights to/from Nebraska and Denver. Then vectors for the 35R ILS at KAPA which seemed to go okay other than they were switching runways to 17 and fairly busy. The usual "break off East prior to the threshold, enter left downwind for 17". Normal.

Thanks much to Clark for going along. He got a work call at 05:00 to start his day and he had already driven to FTG before I called him this morning! Nice of him to drive back to play Safety Pilot all day!

My wife Karen came along too and was a little worried all day about a patient she might need to go visit. Turns out, the reason she couldn't reach her all day was that she went to the hospital early this morning with other problems. Bummer. My work also called but it was for the wrong on-call group. I don't "do" Citrix. ;)

A nice day. Thanks for not letting me look outside all day Clark! ;)

Just subscribing here to follow Nate's progress towards his instrument rating. Good luck.

We're not going to make it. My plane is iced into the hangar (6 inch ice berm), no shovels to be found. Going to the store for hangar supplies.

Sorry everyone. We moved into our new hangar this summer, and it didn't occur to me that the snowshovel and regular shovel that I had been using belonged to my hangar mate (and was still in the old hangar).
We got to the hangar, and the snow pile in front of the door had snowmelt run into it, and was basically a curb made of ice. We looked high and low, and could not find anyone with a shovel to borrow and bust up the ice.

So, now the hangar is properly equipped. See you on the next one!

Knowing you Alan, I'm surprised the "proper equipment" isn't a dump truck with a plow blade, complete with appropriate yellow and blue LED flashers, two-way digital P25 radio, spare fuel tanks, chains, and winter weather survival kit. ;)

Back