CLT airspace

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
Planning a trip that will have a leg from KCEU to KMQI (Clemson to Dare County NC). Direct goes over CLT from West to East. How likely would I be to get a route that includes the CLT VOR over the top of the airport? Going around adds a fair bit.

@Bill and I got approved for a West to East fly over the top a couple years ago. Other than that, I’d guess the likelihood is higher on a normal basis, given the runways are North/South.

Very likely. How high u reckon ur fixin to fly? (Holy sht if my jersey homeboys could hear me now)
If CLT wasn't there, likely 7 or 9k depending on wx. Happy to go lower if that improves getting direct.

Also understand that for me I’m departing JQF or returning there so I’m pretty close to CLT. They actually offer direct over the airport at 4, 4.5, 5 and 5.5 but for you that’s halfway through your flight plan so can’t guarantee it but it’s highly likely

I'm used to ATL where it's pretty much 4 or 4.5 and only if they're in a good mood.

Lastly, using T73 as a waypoint adds a whopping 2 miles and 2 minutes to your trip and u can stay clear of bravo altogether……….

……wait for it…..

Maybe at Moonanza speeds, in my Archer it's 5 minutes. Plus it puts you into the Ft Bragg restricted for another couple of minutes. Time is money (well maybe not when you're retired).

At 5 you’re almost guaranteed. Higher is still likely unless your name is @RDUPilot
i have a love hate relationship with CLT approach when transiting their airspace. I was cleared via vfr over the clt vor departing eho to rdu at 5.5…. Now going from rdu to say gmu, no matter what i file, negotiate and ask for the will send me around. #frustrating.

East West is easier than N/S. I never get cleared that way as it interrupts the CLT arrivals/departures (three parallel N/S runways). They'll talk to you just fine, but route you pretty much clear of the class B. Since my airport is on the Northern edge of the class B, I usually don't bother with them.

Before they rejiggered the airspace, we were technically under ZTL territory. I can reach ZTL on the ground at my place and that was real convenient. Now we're under CLT and even trying to negotiate an IFR departure is impossible (technically, I can call them on the phone, but that doesn't work well either). I tried getting ZTL to relay for me, and Atlanta was willing, but CLT wouldn't play along. Now I just file for a point in space departure just in ZTL-land a few miles north of my field and scud run to that to pick up my iFR.

I suppose we have different definitions of "significantly". Diverting south around the bravo, south around R5311 near Bragg and joining up with V189 near Edenton to avoid R5314 adds 9 minutes to a 3 hour flight vs a direct route. At cruise, that's $10 of gas?

If you want a 2 minute diversion, from GSP, fly up near Shelby and cross CLT west to east. You still have to deal with R5314 near Manteo.

Or go over the top if you can climb to 10k in 35nm

I'm still amazed at how little diverting around most airspace impacts flight duration.

Maybe at Moonanza speeds, in my Archer it's 5 minutes. Plus it puts you into the Ft Bragg restricted for another couple of minutes. Time is money (well maybe not when you're retired).

If time is money an Archer is way too slow.

i have a love hate relationship with CLT approach when transiting their airspace. I was cleared via vfr over the clt vor departing eho to rdu at 5.5…. Now going from rdu to say gmu, no matter what i file, negotiate and ask for the will send me around. #frustrating.
Sounds like you’re comparing VFR to IFR. I think. We’re you talking about filing IFR rdu to gmu ?

If you want to get there cheap, don't fly GA.

1) I'm assuming you're not IFR rated
2) Get flight following, ask for clearance into Bravo
3) If yes, great. If no, then avoid Bravo. It will be a great trip either way.

My experience flying through ATL Bravo (ATL has East - West runways) is they want you at 4000 or so flying north or south directly over Hartsfield, keeping well out of the way of landing and departing east/west traffic.

"request transition over charlotte douglass at 5.5" is all you'll need, guaranteed. I'd wager steingars johnson bar mooney on it.

I basically just asked if going over the top of CLT west to east was an option. @eman1200 pretty much answered it in post 3. I’m IFR rated, done multiple bravo transitions and yes, going around isn’t that big of a deal. All I wanted to know was it worth asking or filing (if IFR). I know around ORD it never happens, sometimes N/S over ATL and if you’re on your game JFK will put you over going from NJ to New England.

But thanks for all the judgment . I could have started another thread on straight in’s

I basically just asked if going over the top of CLT west to east was an option. @eman1200 pretty much answered it in post 3. I’m IFR rated, done multiple bravo transitions and yes, going around isn’t that big of a deal. All I wanted to know was it worth asking or filing (if IFR). I know around ORD it never happens, sometimes N/S over ATL and if you’re on your game JFK will put you over going from NJ to New England.

But thanks for all the judgment . I could have started another thread on straight in’s

File to the VOR.
4 thousand or 5 thousand.

Almost guaranteed unless it is HARD IFR...

CLT really rocks!

Now about that thread on straight ins!!!:D:D:D:D

After all this, got my plan changed by ATC to go to the north of CLT's Delta. Think it was because I filed for 9K. Got an amended routing by text message. With the strong tailwind, it was likely just as fast as going direct at lower and was above most of the build ups. Nice trip and Outer Banks is kind of cool this time of year.

If it’s VFR, can’t you just go over the top from W to E and not talk to anyone?

After all this, got my plan changed by ATC to go to the north of CLT's Delta. Think it was because I filed for 9K. Got an amended routing by text message. With the strong tailwind, it was likely just as fast as going direct at lower and was above most of the build ups. Nice trip and Outer Banks is kind of cool this time of year.
There's no class D at CLT.

Back