Cloudbase Engineering website launch! Aviation Gopro Mounts

Addicted2climbing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Addicted2climbing
I have been a bit distant from this site lately due to being too busy with work to fly and contribute much or to busy due to working on my website. Anyhow, after a long few months, I am launching it now.

For those who do not know me, I have been selling action camera strut mounts to this group and others online specifically designed for aviation. They are all CNC machined from 6061 aluminum and black anodized for corrosion protection. Rather then write about them here, all the info is on the site. Please visit https://www.cloudbaseengineering.com/

For those that decide to buy, at checkout there is a coupon code for the holidays that will get you $10 off each mount and free shipping with no limit on to how many are purchased. The code is: CBE10 The code expires 01/04/16

Since this is my first foray into web development. Please feel free to critique the site. Its not perfect by any means, but good enough for now and I will add more content, upload more videos and pics as I get them. Many of the pics are stock images from the internet and if for some reason I have a pic of your personal aircraft with tail number let me know and I will change it if you prefer.

I plan to also set up a tips and tricks page as well for those just getting into filming their flights.

Also please send any feedback to my personal email: cloudbaseengineering@gmail.com

Moderators, if this posting is not in the correct thread, I apologize and feel free to move it if needed.

Best regards and happy holidays,

Marc Webster
Cloudbase Engineeirng

Coupon code expires soon. If you received a camera for Christmas its not too late to get a mount.

Mark has been VERY helpful to me with the mounts that I have purchased from him. They are what I have used in all of my flying in IMC videos.

Make sure you use a 5 or 6 stop ND filter with your camera when its on the mount, as that way, a lot of the vibration will be eliminated.

Hey, ever think about making a mount for the Piper PA-28 series? A lot of us fly those. I would think the tie-down anchors under the wings or tail would probably make good mounting points.

Nice-looking products.

Hey, ever think about making a mount for the Piper PA-28 series? A lot of us fly those. I would think the tie-down anchors under the wings or tail would probably make good mounting points.

Not in the same league, but here's a do-it-yourself mount for a tie-down anchor.

Parts:
  1. RAM Mount RAM-B-238 (diamond base with ball) - $7.30
  2. RAM Mount short double docket arm - $7.65
  3. RAM Mount GoPro Adapter - $10.15
  4. Thumbscrew from hardware store - use a tap to thread the existing hole in the diamond base to match (about $3)
  5. Some rectangular washers (I found some sort of plumbing strap at the hardware store and then used a bench grinder to make mine).

Mount01.jpg

Mount02.jpg

That should work.... Just mount the Go Pro upside down and go into the set up screen to config the software that is is inverted.....

Hello Cowman,

Yes I do have a version for cantilevered wing aircraft. Rather than use a tie down eyelet, I have made a special hard point for an inspection plate. I will sell a kit to convert any existing screw on inspection plate to a hardpoint for one of my mounts. By having a hardpoint, when the mount is not in use it is just unscrewed from the hardoint. Also its sealed with an oring so by having this hardpoint in place and when not in use it will not allow any moisture into the wing. I have a 3d printed version on a test inspection plate and it works well. I will be machining a run of 25 for testing and I have two test aircraft lined up. A Cheetah and a Musketeer. If anyone is interested in buying one from the first run feel free to email me. Also give info on your aircraft.

One of the reason I went this route over going the tie down eyelet route is often the eyelet is not tight and rattles and I have found a fair amount of variation in eyelets so I chose to offer an inspection plate version. I may still develop an eyelet version for renters, but that is second to this version.

Take care

Marc Webster
www.cloudbaseengineering.com
cloudbaseengineering@gmail.com

That should work.... Just mount the Go Pro upside down and go into the set up screen to config the software that is is inverted.....

Hey Ben,

No need to go the eyelet route on your 801. I do have a strut mount version that fits your 801 if your interested.

Best regards,

Marc

Hello Cowman,

Yes I do have a version for cantilevered wing aircraft. Rather than use a tie down eyelet, I have made a special hard point for an inspection plate. I will sell a kit to convert any existing screw on inspection plate to a hardpoint for one of my mounts. By having a hardpoint, when the mount is not in use it is just unscrewed from the hardoint. Also its sealed with an oring so by having this hardpoint in place and when not in use it will not allow any moisture into the wing. I have a 3d printed version on a test inspection plate and it works well. I will be machining a run of 25 for testing and I have two test aircraft lined up. A Cheetah and a Musketeer. If anyone is interested in buying one from the first run feel free to email me. Also give info on your aircraft.

One of the reason I went this route over going the tie down eyelet route is often the eyelet is not tight and rattles and I have found a fair amount of variation in eyelets so I chose to offer an inspection plate version. I may still develop an eyelet version for renters, but that is second to this version.

Take care

Marc Webster
www.cloudbaseengineering.com
cloudbaseengineering@gmail.com

Doesn't this kind of mounting violate the FAA ruling on external camera mounts without an STC? I thought it had to be tool less install?

Doesn't this kind of mounting violate the FAA ruling on external camera mounts without an STC? I thought it had to be tool less install?
Hello Dave,
Yes your thoughts are correct, but the law changed in March 2014 to allow all mounts tools or not and sadly even suction cups. When I designed the Cloud 9 mount I designed it per the FAR whihc forced me to adhere to the no tools as well as many other requirements. I reached out to my local FSDO, EAA and AOPA representative to get help with designing per the FAR. Interestingly enough the N-Flight design was not even close to legal at the time. Now with the law change all external mounts are legal with the caveat being that any liability falls on the user and that the user must do their due diligence to ensure the mount will not come off in flight. I have been using the Cloud 9 mount since 2007 and in all that time i have never had one so much as budge in flight let alone fall off.

My Inspection Panel hard mount still gives the user an easy way to install the camera in just a few seconds and when not in use the hard point remains but only slightly protrudes from the plate and also seals out the elements.

I am a pilot myself and a one man gig so I do my best to design with the mind set on how pilots think and also take into account any airframe issues.

Marc

Hello Dave,
Yes your thoughts are correct, but the law changed in March 2014 to allow all mounts tools or not and sadly even suction cups. When I designed the Cloud 9 mount I designed it per the FAR whihc forced me to adhere to the no tools as well as many other requirements. I reached out to my local FSDO, EAA and AOPA representative to get help with designing per the FAR. Interestingly enough the N-Flight design was not even close to legal at the time. Now with the law change all external mounts are legal with the caveat being that any liability falls on the user and that the user must do their due diligence to ensure the mount will not come off in flight. I have been using the Cloud 9 mount since 2007 and in all that time i have never had one so much as budge in flight let alone fall off.

My Inspection Panel hard mount still gives the user an easy way to install the camera in just a few seconds and when not in use the hard point remains but only slightly protrudes from the plate and also seals out the elements.

I am a pilot myself and a one man gig so I do my best to design with the mind set on how pilots think and also take into account any airframe issues.

Marc

Interesting. The FAA has no problem with people sticking cameras anywhere they want, but if the leading edge of your wing has a dent in it, you're grounded. Go figure. :rolleyes2:

Interesting. The FAA has no problem with people sticking cameras anywhere they want, but if the leading edge of your wing has a dent in it, you're grounded. Go figure. :rolleyes2:

Hello Dave,

I tend to agree. From what I gather the FAA was hit on two fronts from new technologies affecting aviation at once; Action cameras on aircraft and Drones. I think they took a quick look at cameras and figured it posed less of a risk than say drone activity and chose to make a quick decision to just put the liability on the user of the camera so that they could focus more on the drone issue. I may be wrong about this, but I was very surprised the FAA took the stance they did and so quickly. Even though my mount was designed per the FAR I had been going down the STC route as I knew it was a grey area and it was only a matter of time before the FAA would likely change the rule. I was surprised in the end with the decision, But sadly their decision now allows all mounts; Suction cups included. :yikes:

Marc

Back