Cloud Pics

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
All the video showing up recently I was wondering how many nice pictures
of clouds and weather you guys and gals might have. Here is some I ran
across I have. We were VFR heading to Merembula, Australia when the wife shot these. We were at 10000 feet on top in a 172. Had a ground speed at the time of 168 knots. We were on top for 30 or so miles before reaching the coast.
I would love to see some of yours, post 'em if you got 'em.
Don

Here are a few I took from a Delta flight on my way home from visiting Toby in January. I was SO excited about the colors of the sunset reflecting on the clouds below us, and couldn't believe that no one else on the plane seemed to notice how pretty it was. It looked like the earth below was on fire.

Last edited:
Diana said:
Here are a few I took from a Delta flight on my way home from visiting Toby in January. I was SO excited about the colors of the sunset reflecting on the clouds below us, and couldn't believe that no one else on the plane seemed to notice how pretty it was. It looked like the earth below was on fire.

That does look like the earth is on fire. Did you notice the flap setting marks on the wing?

Funny how people don't notice the world anymore even when it's beautiful or affects them. When I took the storm pictures, people were getting in and out of cars and never noticed the sky (how could you miss that even if you're blind??) or natures vacuum cleaner poised to suck them up at any moment. I had a couple people look at me like why would I be out there with a camera..they never looked up.

Pilots notice this stuff. It's part of who we are. The weather can kill us and we also see the beauty of the world that groundlings can't comprehend.

I was supposed to get an hour of hood work yesterday afternoon, but these little guys as viewed out my window sort of made me think things might be just a little rough up there. That, combined with the fact that 48V was showing 40 knots of direct crosswind, helped me decide to stay home and lay some tile instead.

This taken on my flight back from Lousiana last Thursday, after meeting Eamon in Lafayette:

gkainz said:
I was supposed to get an hour of hood work yesterday afternoon, but these little guys as viewed out my window sort of made me think things might be just a little rough up there. That, combined with the fact that 48V was showing 40 knots of direct crosswind, helped me decide to stay home and lay some tile instead.

Makes me glad I came through DEN Friday night on my way home from Washington DC. We had a smooth ride.

Oh, and here's one I took last year on my way home from putting some time on the club's C-172H...

Here are a couple. Sorry, most of mine are from high altitude but some are good anyway. Hope you enjoy. I only have room for a little digital Cannon Elph in the cockpit, but the pictures usually come out pretty good.

Brent

Last edited:
took this one during an IFR flight. I call it "inside a cloud"...

Steve said:
I always wondered what cumulo-granite looked like....now I know! Thanks for posting the pics.

The obligatory classic cartoon to go with it:

Here is what it looks like on a clear day.

Heres a couple of my pics to throw into the bunch....

Great photos Eric!

I really love the Chicago at FL510 shot and the DSC00671.jpg photos.

Thanks,

Chip

Michael said:
took this one during an IFR flight. I call it "inside a cloud"...

Bwahaaaaa, I get it, duh, I agree though someone stole all the should be visible parts of your plane.
Don

(little slow on the uptake)

Back