Cloud clearance below Class B airspace.

craigh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
clh
So, here is the scenario.

I get cleared into a class bravo "at or below 4000". The floor is 2000 ft. Because I am going to cross under an approach of a major airport, the controller usually works me down to eventually I am "at or below 2000" In the usual case, we have a few to scattered clouds at, say 1500 ft. What cloud separation do I have to maintain to remain legal? Obviously, inside the bravo it is "clear of clouds". In the echo, below, is it still 1000, 500, and 2 ? ATC also routinely requests me to let him know of any heading changes. Do I drive him nuts with trying to maintain the E separation, or just fly straight ahead as if it is "B" airspace?

There's no special rule for below the class B. If you are in controlled airspace of any form, it's 1000 above/500 below/2000 horizontally. If it is class G, it's the same until you are within 1200' of the ground and then it's clear of clouds.

Nothing ATC can tell you allows you to bust 91.155. You have to turn or change altitude to stay VFR. In fact, even inside the class B you're obliged to maintain VFR, it's just that the clearances are less.

There's no special rule for below the class B. If you are in controlled airspace of any form, it's 1000 above/500 below/2000 horizontally. If it is class G, it's the same until you are within 1200' of the ground and then it's clear of clouds.

Nothing ATC can tell you allows you to bust 91.155. You have to turn or change altitude to stay VFR. In fact, even inside the class B you're obliged to maintain VFR, it's just that the clearances are less.

Not quite true.

Under some circumstances, SVFR clearance may be possible. Mainly, you have to be in controlled airspace for the surface area of an airport. Around B airports, there is often a mishmash of various airspaces. It might work. Maybe.

If that happens (or you receive an IFR clearance -- but that's unlikely that low), you can get closer to clouds than 500/1000/2000.

If you are given a vector that would violate cloud clearances, you are obligated to say "unable" and negotiate something else.

I get cleared into a class bravo "at or below 4000". The floor is 2000 ft. Because I am going to cross under an approach of a major airport, the controller usually works me down to eventually I am "at or below 2000" In the usual case, we have a few to scattered clouds at, say 1500 ft. What cloud separation do I have to maintain to remain legal? Obviously, inside the bravo it is "clear of clouds". In the echo, below, is it still 1000, 500, and 2 ? ATC also routinely requests me to let him know of any heading changes. Do I drive him nuts with trying to maintain the E separation, or just fly straight ahead as if it is "B" airspace?
You got your answer on the rules.

There's no reason to drive the controller nuts. He may be looking for minor heading changes because of traffic saturation but more likely he's concerned about the right 45° turn that's coming up. You can solve the problem in a way similar to how instrument pilots deal with buildups we don't want to fly through. In your case, "We'll need deviations 10° left and right of course" might get you "approved as requested." If not, then he wants to be bothered with your reports.

Back