closed self service fueling (covid 19 related)

Roland Donnell

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Roland Donnell
Just curious if anyone has encountered closed self service fueling. Can't post an image but found this today taped to the fuel dispenser.

CLOSED
to prevent the spread of
COVID 19
Unfortunately management
has no resources to disinfect
all frequently touched
surfaces such as the
terminal cover, keypad,
nozzle handle, etc. between
each customer use.

Just curious if anyone has encountered closed self service fueling. Can't post an image but found this today taped to the fuel dispenser.

CLOSED
to prevent the spread of
COVID 19
Unfortunately management
has no resources to disinfect
all frequently touched
surfaces such as the
terminal cover, keypad,
nozzle handle, etc. between
each customer use.
Pansies. Ugh. Put a donation box out. Works at plenty of airports.

So.... maybe just let the buyer beware? Wear gloves?

Wear gloves?

...or have a dog?

poopbaggas.jpg

As many businesses are being shut down or shuttered without their input, it seems nuts an FBO would do it themselves over such minuscule risk. Unless they keep the full service open for an extra $2 a gallon....

I wear my preflight gloves when fueling.

Same here. I occasionally manage to spill a little AVGAS using the self serve pumps. Gloves keep it off my hands... side benefit- no direct contact with the pump handle or keypad.

I wonder how well 100LL kills the virus? Anyhow, I suspect that the surface-to-human transfer is vastly overblown. Nearly every case I know of comes from being cooped up in close proximity with people spewing aerosolized droplets. Don't eat, touch your nose or mouth, and wash your hands after ward. There's no compelling reason to bathe every surface in clorox.

The risk of contracting COVID-19 from a self-serve fuel pump handle of keypad is likely very low, and anyone can take various personal precautions, including using hand sanitizer or washing your hands with soap and water after fueling operations.

I've always worn leather gloves to handle the nozzle, hose, and grounding line when fueling my Warrior. The ground line retract often needs help and I've mashed bare fingers, and the black hose material comes off on your hands and clothes.

Oh, for ground vehicles. Quickly dribble the last drops from the nozzle on your hands and rub it around. Replace the nozzle while your hands are still wet.

I can remember when self service gas stations started, they would give you disposable gloves. there are plenty of choices out there to protect yourself when self fueling. The FBOs lawyers are probably at it again.

Remember, to catch it, someone ahead of you has to have it. If one has Covid, with symptoms, you won’t feel like flying.

This may have less to do with the disinfecting a pump as it has to do with directing sales to the fuel truck crew that has little or nothing to do right now.

Remember, to catch it, someone ahead of you has to have it. If one has Covid, with symptoms, you won’t feel like flying.

Not at all true on the assumption that if you have it you would not feel like flying. Check out this stat that just came out:

NY hospital started screening ALL women for COVID-19 entering maternity ward to give birth over last two weeks to better protect the health care workers after one maternity patient tested positive.

215 Women screened
33 tested positive for COVID-19
Only 4 exhibited any symptoms.
27 were asymptomatic
In that just one data set 13.7% of population was infected yet exhibiting zero symptoms...take way is that pregnant women do not have any particular higher risk factor for contraction of COVID-19 than the general population.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...e-but-few-symptoms-in-pregnant-women/2372863/

Full service was discontinued at my field a while ago.

That aside, I still think it’s very low likelihood to catch Covid from the self-serve pump & card reader.

Did he say otherwise?
The implication was that infectious people wouldn't be flying. That's not true. Yes, if you have symptoms, you won't feel like flying, but that doesn't mean the guy ahead of you at the pump wasn't an asymptomatic infected.

I wonder how well 100LL kills the virus? Anyhow, I suspect that the surface-to-human transfer is vastly overblown. Nearly every case I know of comes from being cooped up in close proximity with people spewing aerosolized droplets. Don't eat, touch your nose or mouth, and wash your hands after ward. There's no compelling reason to bathe every surface in clorox.

Yea, I was wondering the same thing........ does blue gas kill the virus?
Last week I heard a guy saying that he has been using Avgas in a spray bottle, and on rags to kill the virus. Other than the possible fire hazard (same for alcohol I would think) I wonder if it really is effective? I tried to search the question, and haven't been able to find an answer. No disinfectants in the store....use avgas..... why not? Who knows?

Not sure if the regular gas would kill the virus but I’m sure the lead would.:D

Gasoline or other organic solvents are probably too hydrophobic to be effective disinfectants for lipid-coated viruses. Alcohols are better. Plus, I would be worried about lead ingestion from use 100LL indoors or where you are likely to be in contact with residues. Tetraethyllead is highly toxic.

God forbid they put a Clorox wipes container next to the dispenser?
Those wipes are hard to find in certain places. I suspect if you left a container unattended, it would be stolen within hours.

I would imagine that gasoline would dissolve the lipids that surround the RNA in a virus almost instantly, rendering it harmless. Don't know about everyone else, but i don't generally get gasoline on my hands when using a pump.

I would think the risk of transmission is very low.

I am willing and able to wash my hands. But, I guess someone in authority has decided it is too big a risk.

I watched the hand washing tutorial on Facebook, so I'm qualified. The link was right below the warning I got for looking at news that the censors had deemed to be "fake". I guess I'll have to wait till the test for COV-2 antibodies is available in my area before I'll be allowed to buy AVGAS now.

I am willing and able to wash my hands. But, I guess someone in authority has decided it is too big a risk.

New $250 annual certification coming for “Fuel Handling” training in the era of viral apocalypse? LOL.

I’m sure the King’s will have a nice study video. :) :) :)

Hope they issued a NOTAM. Would suck if you were on a XC and that was a planned fuel stop.

God forbid they put a Clorox wipes container next to the dispenser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It'll get stolen. A friend noted that someone stole a whole container of hand sanitizer from their office. A law office.

Gasoline or other organic solvents are probably too hydrophobic to be effective disinfectants for lipid-coated viruses. Alcohols are better. Plus, I would be worried about lead ingestion from use 100LL indoors or where you are likely to be in contact with residues. Tetraethyllead is highly toxic.

Lipids, by definition, dissolve in organic solvents, like gasoline.

Back