climbs

islandboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
islandboy
Can anyone clarify the differences between a) and b) and, more particularly, under what circumstances a pilot might prefer one method over the other?

a) Straight constant airspeed climb

b) Straight constant-rate stabilized climb

A constant speed climb may be done to increase cooling in a climb.

A constant rate climb may be required for IFR operations.

Thank you. That was helpful.

A constant speed climb may be done to increase cooling in a climb.

A constant rate climb may be required for IFR operations.

When you fly IFR ,the controller is expecting best rate of climb,to get you intonthevsystem ,and on your way.

When you fly IFR ,the controller is expecting best rate of climb
The controller does not normally expect a "best rate of climb" airspeed. What the AIM 4-4-10d says they expect is:
Descend or climb at an optimum rate consistent with the operating characteristics of the aircraft to 1,000 feet above or below the assigned altitude, and then attempt to descend or climb at a rate of between 500 and 1,500 fpm until the assigned altitude is reached.
That's more like the "cruise climb" described in your POH, rather than "best rate of climb" (i.e., Vy).

Constant speed climbs I use for performance (Vx, Vy, cruise climb). Once I am clear of obstacles and a few thousand feet AGL, I transition to a constant rate to appease ATC, and make a smooth climb for the passengers ears and the pressurization system.

Well, I usually climb at 1000fpm until 3000 AGL then get busy and cruise climb, which is about 400fpm. That gets me well out of the pattern altitudes for all the uncontrolled fields and I don't have to worry about that slow ground speed for the next ten minutes.

Well, I usually climb at 1000fpm until 3000 AGL then get busy and cruise climb, which is about 400fpm. That gets me well out of the pattern altitudes for all the uncontrolled fields and I don't have to worry about that slow ground speed for the next ten minutes.

I thought ATC wants a min of 500fpm and you have to advise if unable...

I thought ATC wants a min of 500fpm and you have to advise if unable...
You're close. ATC wants that "optimum" rate of climb mentioned above, but you're only supposed to say something if you won't maintain at least 500 ft/min. See that AIM Section 4-4-10d I mentioned earlier for the details.

That's fine for VFR, but under IFR, ATC wants to know if you can't/won't maintain at least 500 ft/min.

I'm only flying vfr these days. I keep threatening to do my ipc but stalling.

Can anyone clarify the differences between a) and b) and, more particularly, under what circumstances a pilot might prefer one method over the other?

a) Straight constant airspeed climb

b) Straight constant-rate stabilized climb

Constant airspeed I typically use for performance climbs. The only time I a constant rate climb is when I'm using an autopilot to do it, otherwise I always climb on speed.

I use rate to regulate descent for both vertical navigation needs, and often more importantly, biological needs of passengers. You have to be careful when you start descent after a cruise at altitude because your passengers, especially kids, are susceptible to having clogged ears. Then I set up a long descent and try to keep it at 200fpm.

BTW, constant rate climbs on autopilot require you to monitor airspeed as most autopilots will fly you right into a stall. This has killed people in icing.

Last edited:
Back