Climb via Question

pstan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
A number of months ago I was departing 24 Teterboro KTEB assigned to CLIMB VIA the RUDDY SIX DEPARTURE. The route description basically says climb 240 deg to 520 feet MSL, then direct DAVIM, then direct WENTZ to cross WENTZ at 1500 feet, then direct RUUDY, then heading 280 deg, with a "Maintain 2000 feet". The TOP ALTITUDE is given as 2000.

I had levelled off at 1500 feet just after DAVIM, before WENTZ, and at this time the controller gave me a vector, something like 260 degrees, with no additional instructions.

Do I remain at 1500 feet? Do I climb to 2000 at a certain point?

Tried to google, didn't get a clear response.

Stan

When a controller vectors you off an arrival or departure after previously getting told to descend via or climb via, they’re supposed to give you a new altitude limit. If this didn’t happen (and it sometimes doesn’t), ask them.

Last edited:
The controllers usually give you the required altitude assigement when taking you off a CLIMB VIA/DESCEND VIA SID/STAR. When they forget, I'd suggest something along the lines of,

"Heading [xxx], request altitude assignment, [callsign]".

Better to query ATC that Google later, but the clue is TOP 2000'. No higher until cleared.

Better to query ATC that Google later, but the clue is TOP 2000'. No higher until cleared.
One could continue up to the Top Altitude if no other altitude assignments were given, correct?

One could continue up to the Top Altitude if no other altitude assignments were given, correct?

The problem is you literally don't know... they took you off of the SID... you're technically not on it anymore. So you have to ask.

When these came out about 10 years ago I guess there was a lot of guessing WTF ATC wanted you to do. If taken off, I just maintained last assigned altitude and speed (if issued or on the arrival). When told to resume just complied with the remaining fixes, altitudes, and speeds.

yup on all the above. I think I'd of said something like "heading 260 out of one point five for two thousand, verify assigned altitude."

As I recall, the 1,500 is needed for Newark separation, but not much further to the west 2,000 is needed for obstacle clearance.

Here is the RUUDY and the MVAs. 1,500 is not an option for the controller. But, that doesn't stop them. o_ORUUDY AND MVAS.jpg

Back