Cleared Practice Approach

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
Quick question, but one I'm not really sure how to phrase, so let's go with: "What's the deal with being cleared for a practice XYZ approach (maintain VFR)?"

It makes sense in class B, where presumably it means you can make the approach maneuvers as charted (or assigned) and get separation services. It halfway makes sense in class C and D for the same reasons (though of decreasing importance).

But outside of B/C/D, is it just a courtesy to the controller to ask, and them to give, the clearance, saying "we won't put any IFR traffic directly on top of you (but don't hold us to that)"?

There's nothing stopping us from flying a full approach out there in glorious E airspace without a radio or transponder, so and it feels weird that the words "cleared for" are used when that's the case. Though it makes perfect sense that if you're playing around all over an approach course it's nice to let the controller know, and nice of the controller to not dump a citation on you (or at least warn you to move out of the way first).

Quick question, but one I'm not really sure how to phrase, so let's go with: "What's the deal with being cleared for a practice XYZ approach (maintain VFR)?"
It means the controller will keep you separated from known IFR traffic, but you're on your own for other VFR traffic. The other option is "Practice approaches approved, maintain VFR, no separation services will be provided." In that case, you may get advisories, or maybe not, but at the end of the day, only you are responsible for separation from all other aircraft. Or in E/G-space, you can just do it on your own without talking to anyone, but I prefer to have all the help I can get.

It makes sense in class B, where presumably it means you can make the approach maneuvers as charted (or assigned) and get separation services. It halfway makes sense in class C and D for the same reasons (though of decreasing importance).

But outside of B/C/D, is it just a courtesy to the controller to ask, and them to give, the clearance, saying "we won't put any IFR traffic directly on top of you (but don't hold us to that)"?

There's nothing stopping us from flying a full approach out there in glorious E airspace without a radio or transponder, so and it feels weird that the words "cleared for" are used when that's the case. Though it makes perfect sense that if you're playing around all over an approach course it's nice to let the controller know, and nice of the controller to not dump a citation on you (or at least warn you to move out of the way first).

FAA policy is to provide separation between IFR aircraft and VFR aircraft practicing instrument approaches where it can be done. Essentially that means locations with adequate radar coverage and direct pilot/controller communications at IAP altitudes. Where this is done VFR aircraft are cleared for the approach and instructed to maintain VFR. Where it isn't done VFR aircraft receive no clearance, they're told the approach is approved and no separation will be provided. See AIM 4−3−21. Practice Instrument Approaches and Order JO 7110.65 Air Traffic Control 4−8−11. PRACTICE APPROACHES.

It means the controller will keep you separated from known IFR traffic, but you're on your own for other VFR traffic. The other option is "Practice approaches approved, maintain VFR, no separation services will be provided." In that case, you may get advisories, or maybe not, but at the end of the day, only you are responsible for separation from all other aircraft. Or in E/G-space, you can just do it on your own without talking to anyone, but I prefer to have all the help I can get.

Separation will also be provided from other VFR aircraft practicing instrument approaches. Separation begins at the time the approach clearance is issued and ends at the missed approach point if authorization for the missed approach procedure has not been issued.

mcmanigle, just checking: are you asking, "why bother dealing with ATC at all for practice approaches if you are not in or approaching a Class B, C, or D primary or satellite?"

Back