Clearance Delivery/Cancellation with an RCO

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I may be flying to an airport tomorrow with one of these RCO things.. How do I use it? What should I expect? Any tips?

Time for some dual, buddy.

How so? I have never been to an airport with one. Never used one.. :dunno:

edit...

Are you saying it takes an instructor to physically demonstrate how to do it? or are you trying to imply I need more training simply since I have not used one before? This may be something available at your airport, but where I fly these are not available.

I have flown over 100 hours IFR in the past 3 months and not been to a single airport with one of these.

Last edited:
I may be flying to an airport tomorrow with one of these RCO things.. How do I use it? What should I expect? Any tips?
What kind of RCO? Is it one where you talk directly to the facility over a VHF frequency, or one where you have to click a certain number of times to activate a landline phone that provides a half-duplex channel to FSS? Those (the latter) are technically called GCOs and they're as rare as teats on a bull these days; I haven't used one in almost 7 years and couldn't describe anymore how to do it in detail.

The former are just like talking over any frequency, the only catch is that some are to ATC and some to FSS, but you'll always know which is which since the A/FD tells you what kind of facility it is, and if you're not sure the frequency is usually a dead giveaway.

So which kind is this? What field are you flying to? The location might help someone give you a better answer, since if it's a GCO the particulars (# of clicks to activate, etc.) vary between installations, IIRC.

What kind of RCO? Is it one where you talk directly to the facility over a VHF frequency, or one where you have to click a certain number of times to activate a landline phone that provides a half-duplex channel to FSS? Those (the latter) are technically called GCOs and they're as rare as teats on a bull these days; I haven't used one in almost 7 years and couldn't describe anymore how to do it in detail.

The former are just like talking over any frequency, the only catch is that some are to ATC and some to FSS, but you'll always know which is which since the A/FD tells you what kind of facility it is, and if you're not sure the frequency is usually a dead giveaway.

So which kind is this? What field are you flying to? The location might help someone give you a better answer, since if it's a GCO the particulars (# of clicks to activate, etc.) vary between installations, IIRC.
Good info;
I'd also add, the frequency and facility you'll be talking to are printed on the approach chart. In my experience if it's a remote to a FSS relay you can expect a clearance with a void time, OTOH if it's direct to the ATC controller probably just a clearance with a "....report airborne".
If nothing else works (& sometimes it won't) the ol' telephone booth has been pretty much replaced by the cell phone :wink2:
I'd also add; most places they don't like to issue a clearance with a hold for release so, on initial call-up be as close to ready as you can be without getting on the runway.

Last edited:
You talking about an RCO or a GCO? Two different things as azure points out (although I'm not sure about the teats; there are some at non-towered airports surrounding RDU; they may work about as well as well as the teats on the bull and they seem to be rare enough that there's no AIM discussion of them, but they are there.

Even with RCOs there are differences depending on whom you are remotely communicating with.

How so? I have never been to an airport with one. Never used one.. :dunno:

edit...

Are you saying it takes an instructor to physically demonstrate how to do it? or are you trying to imply I need more training simply since I have not used one before? This may be something available at your airport, but where I fly these are not available.

I have flown over 100 hours IFR in the past 3 months and not been to a single airport with one of these.
Don't worry about it. I'm sure we can find subjects on which you can return the complement :D

RCO/GCO ~ whoops. Looks like in my case it is actually an GCO. Airport KGGE Georgetown SC.

GCO's are broke more than they're fixed. If it's working, keep in mind that it disconnects after 10-15 seconds with no transmissions, so if the controller tells you to stand by, make sure you key the mike and say something every 10 seconds while you're waiting. And when you're clicking to initiate the connection, remember it's like clicking to turn on the runway lights -- not too fast, not too slow.

In any event, once you get in touch with the controller, it's just like picking up a clearance over the phone. You've done that before, right?

BTW, unless things have changed, when you call for clearance out of GGE, they're going to clear you to the NDB with holding instructions and an EFC time and expected further route rather than a full route clearance -- be ready for that.

Don't have it with me but there is an 800 number ,you can call from any airport ,to get a clearance and release.

I have used the phone for clearances many times Ron, I was thinking if this works, it should be faster than the phone call right?

So.. if it goes silent as Ron says after 10-15 seconds, what do you say? clickity-click-click... "You still with me"?

Is it advisable to notify the controller I am contacting them on the GCO freq or will they already know?

RCO/GCO ~ whoops. Looks like in my case it is actually an GCO. Airport KGGE Georgetown SC.
As Ron said, they seem to be broke more than they work. My home base has one and I don't even get a dial tone. Not for the 2 years I've tried it.

When they do work, it's 4 mike clicks to connect to ATC and 6 mike clicks for FSS. The clicks are slower than you think - a bit more definite and separated than for pilot-controlled lighting.

It would be nice if, instead of the GCO frequency, the FAA would give us the ATC numbers the GCOs are connecting to - that would be far more useful.

Yeah, I know the national CD number, but it's still quicker to get it directly from the ATC facility, whether by phone or by radio.

I have used the phone for clearances many times Ron, I was thinking if this works, it should be faster than the phone call right?
Yes -- you've eliminated the L-M middleman and are talking directly to the controlling ATC facility.

So.. if it goes silent as Ron says after 10-15 seconds, what do you say? clickity-click-click... "You still with me"?
No clicks needed -- just key the mike and say something. If you hear it say "Line 1, disconnecting" or something like that, then you'll have to start over with a new set of 4/6 clicks to reinitiate the telephone connection.

Is it advisable to notify the controller I am contacting them on the GCO freq or will they already know?
It's a good idea, because they have no way to tell that you're calling via the GCO -- it just rings their telephone like any other incoming phone call. That said, if you can get the number that the GCO dials (the FBO probably has it), you're better off calling it yourself on your cell phone than going through the GCO, which is really just a relic of the pre-mobile phone days.

When they do work, it's 4 mike clicks to connect to ATC and 6 mike clicks for FSS. The clicks are slower than you think - a bit more definite and separated than for pilot-controlled lighting.
Sounds like the gizmo I ran into at Estevan, Saskatchewan. Supposed to connect you with Regina FSS. Filed IFR --D-> Williston, ND & down the airway to Glasgow, Montana. Couldn't get the dumb thing to work so a few miles north of the border I just called Salt Lake Center on the radio and picked up my clearance which the issued along with an offer for a vector direct Glasgow.
Only time I've ever dealt with a GCO, I thought it must be a Canadian "thing"?

In my experience about half of them do not work. Keep the cellphone number handy.

www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/noticeView.aspx?nid=1981
Oct 26, 2009 - Notice Number: NOTC1981. Survey Results ... Remember to Close Your Flight Plan. General ... And, in today's world of cell phones, it's easier than ever to call 800 WX BRIEF (800-992-7433) and close your flight plan.

Sounds like the gizmo I ran into at Estevan, Saskatchewan. Supposed to connect you with Regina FSS. Filed IFR --D-> Williston, ND & down the airway to Glasgow, Montana. Couldn't get the dumb thing to work so a few miles north of the border I just called Salt Lake Center on the radio and picked up my clearance which the issued along with an offer for a vector direct Glasgow.
Only time I've ever dealt with a GCO, I thought it must be a Canadian "thing"?
Nah. We have them too. But it's interesting that, other than a brief mention in the associated Pilot/Controller Glossary, there is no discussion of it at all in the AIM. (There is a discussion of GCOs in the Instrument Procedures Handbook)

Back