cleaning rental windshields

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
What is the most respectful way to clean the windshield of Other People's Planes?

Use old cotton tshirts. A LOT of paper towels scratch the windshield.

Water first to get rid of the bugs. Then the lemon pledge.
Diapers or very soft cotton cloths.

Micro fiber clothe and Wash Wax.....or Pledge. Whatever is handy.

What is the most respectful way to clean the windshield of Other People's Planes?
Politely ask the owner. Where I rent, the answer is probably that you don't. Even if you made a mess, they'd rather have the line boy clean it than have a well-intentioned customer scratch it. Even if they are ok with you cleaning it, this seems to be something that everyone wants done differently.

Politely ask the owner. Where I rent, the answer is probably that you don't. Even if you made a mess, they'd rather have the line boy clean it than have a well-intentioned customer scratch it. Even if they are ok with you cleaning it, this seems to be something that everyone wants done differently.

However, almost everyone will love you if you clean the leading edges yourself.

Lemon Pledge and microfiber cloth. Same as I use on my motorcycle windscreen. Let it sit for a moment and even the bugs wipe off smoothly.

Lemon Pledge and microfiber cloth. Same as I use on my motorcycle windscreen. Let it sit for a moment and even the bugs wipe off smoothly.

Yup.

I use a mix of water and a little windex with a scrubby on the leading edges followed by a paper towel to clean up the dirty water.

Yup.

I use a mix of water and a little windex with a scrubby on the leading edges followed by a paper towel to clean up the dirty water.

I never keep Windex or any cleaning product with ammonia near my airplane. There are some flavors of Windex that have vinegar instead of ammonia, but I much prefer the scent of lemon Pledge.

Yup.

Also agree on the wing leading edges. Spray bottle with soapy water (dishwashing liquid in my case) and a nylon scrubby. At the end of the flight, spray the wings, wait a moment (finish tying down), and wipe off the bugs quickly and easily before they have a chance to "caramelize"

In a recent thread I mentioned I was a long time Pledge user.

Than someone mentioned this and I tried it:

7110132_ttl_t470r_pri_larg.jpg

IMHO, slightly superior.

Everyone has answered with their own techniques for cleaning. While I am sure they all work well, as you can see, everyone has their favorite. I would never, ever, ever, use anything on someone else's plane without asking first.

Be sure to not wipe in circles, but go in the direction of airflow.

I've heard this many times over the years. People state that using a circular motion will scratch plexiglas. But do circular motions scratch or are most scratches circular because that's the motion that everyone uses?

I think it's the latter and would suggest that any motion in any direction is okay as long as the proper cleaners and cloths are used and precautions taken.

I use pledge and/or plexus, whichever I have, for regular cleaning and NuFinish 3 or 4 times a year for polishing and small scratch removal.

I use old, cut up, soft, 100% cotton t-shirts for all my cleaning needs.

I used to use Meguiar's #17 plastic cleaner/scratch remover followed up by #10 plastic polish but the results were just okay. NuFinish is far simpler and gives me better results.

I agree with those who say you don't do anything to someone else's plane withou first discussing it with them.

Last edited:
I've heard this many times over the years. People state that using a circular motion will scratch plexiglas. But do circular motions scratch or are most scratches circular because that's the motion that everyone uses?

I think it's the latter and would suggest that any motion in any direction is okay as long as the proper cleaners and cloths are used and precautions taken.

I use pledge and/or plexus, whichever I have, for regular cleaning and NuFinish 3 or 4 times a year for polishing and small scratch removal.

I used to use Meguiar's #17 plastic cleaner/scratch remover followed up by #10 plastic polish but the results were just okay. NuFinish is far simpler and gives me better results.

I agree with those who say you don't do anything to someone else's plane withou first discussing it with them.
Either direction will scratch the plexi. But the circular scratches impare the ability to see more so than straight line vertical scratches.

You want to go straight up and down when cleaning. You are going to put little scratches in regardless. Vertical scratches produce the minimum visual impact in glare and light flare when flying into a low sun. Circular and vertical scratches can create a blinding effect.

Henning and BlueRooster got to it before me...

I second the "motion in the direction of flight" and "water and microfiber cloth." If it is done consistently, you'll only need water to clean the glass.

I will add that whenever you get near the plexiglass remove your watch and rings.

Either direction will scratch the plexi. But the circular scratches impare the ability to see more so than straight line vertical scratches.

You want to go straight up and down when cleaning. You are going to put little scratches in regardless. Vertical scratches produce the minimum visual impact in glare and light flare when flying into a low sun. Circular and vertical scratches can create a blinding effect.

Henning and BlueRooster got to it before me...

My windscreen is 12 years old and is in great condition. I attribute that to regular applications of NuFinish. It removes small scratches. And it also actually removed some crazing from one of my side windows before I broke down nd replaced it. Crazing that resulted from not being adequately protected during the painting process. It's amazing stuff.

Up-down, sideways, circular...

...doesn't matter if you keep the scratches out of the plexi in the first place...or remove them. :wink2:

I'll try to remember to start going "in the direction of travel" though.

Last edited:
I will add that whenever you get near the plexiglass remove your watch and rings.

And put rubber bumpers on Rosen sun visors! Ask me how I know...good thing it happened in my 172 and not my current 182. :redface:

Taught to me by an old helo pilot with more hours in the air than I have on earth:

Horizontal strokes on a plexiglass windscreen can be mistaken for wires in the right (or wrong) sunlight if caught just right. Hence the vertical strokes.

As for ammonia: I've been issued 3 different motorcycles at work. Two of the three (given to me used) had windscreens cleaned w/ammonia type products. Both of them suffered from delamination (best word I can think of to describe) and had severe peeling and looked TERRIBLE. Only the bike I got brand new (which only saw water or plexiglass specific cleaners) survived intact. Just my .02.

Never use ammonia on plexiglass, you are introducing an oxidant to a hydrocarbon.

Never use ammonia on plexiglass, you are introducing an oxidant to a hydrocarbon.

Which is why I don't allow Windex anywhere near my airplane even if it were to be used to clean only painted surfaces. There's always some well meaning person who would see a bottle of Windex and assume it was to be used to clean the plexiglass windscreen.

I asked the FBO and they had spray bottles of Zep Aviation Window view; the active ingredient is dipropylene glycol ether.

Last edited:
No Windex! Even if you are only using it on your leading edges, a small amount of overspray can end up on your plexiglass depending on wind conditions. This can contribute to crazing (micro-cracking) of the acrylic surface. I use Plexus or Pledge. I mostly use Pledge because it works just as good, a lot cheaper, and nothing in the active ingredients that will harm acrylic. If the plexiglass is dirty please don't spray some Pledge and immediately start wiping it. You are just grinding sand and other hard contaminants unto the surface and scratching the crap out of it. Clean with water first to wash off the dirt, then use a good plastic cleaner with microfiber.

No Windex! Even if you are only using it on your leading edges, a small amount of overspray can end up on your plexiglass depending on wind conditions. This can contribute to crazing (micro-cracking) of the acrylic surface. I use Plexus or Pledge. I mostly use Pledge because it works just as good, a lot cheaper, and nothing in the active ingredients that will harm acrylic. If the plexiglass is dirty please don't spray some Pledge and immediately start wiping it. You are just grinding sand and other hard contaminants unto the surface and scratching the crap out of it. Clean with water first to wash off the dirt, then use a good plastic cleaner with microfiber.

Lemon Pledge will yellow it over time.

The right answer is to ask the owner how they would like you to clean it and do it per their answer.

Back