Cleaning Inside Instrument Glass

MBDiagMan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
Quick question. The ASI in my new to me aircraft has a foggy lens. I expect that it is 53 years of cigarette smoke coating the inside of the lens. People smoked a lot when this aircraft was new. What would be involved in removing the glass and cleaning it. Is this a job requiring instrument shop TSO?

For the instrument guys.

The inside of the ASI's case is vented to the static system, so unless the static was open to the cabin instead of being connected to an outside static port (or maybe the case had a bad leak), it's not likely it was cigarette smoke in there.

An airspeed indicator is going to need to go to a repair station if you want the guts cleaned. Other than the downtime (and getting the static system rechecked if you want to fly IFR). It's a relatively inexpensive process and they'll clean up the dial as well. I'm not sure what "TSO" has to do with anything in your statement.

Any indicator is going to need to go to a repair station if you want the guts cleaned. Other than the downtime (and getting the static system rechecked if you want to fly IFR). It's a relatively inexpensive process and they'll clean up the dial as well. I'm not sure what "TSO" has to do with anything in your statement.
FTFY all instruments must be repaired by an instrument shop. but the compass fairy may stop by.

Last edited:
Doc,

For a local shop to do work on your avionics, I can recommend www.airdallas.com based in Lewisville, TX.

Avionics? AirDallas is indeed an Instrument Repair Station, however.
30YVIIU.jpg

Thanks a bunch guys! Sounds like something for the next annual which will be end of March 2018 which is about the same time it needs IFR recertification anyway.

For the instrument guys.

The inside of the ASI's case is vented to the static system, so unless the static was open to the cabin instead of being connected to an outside static port (or maybe the case had a bad leak), it's not likely it was cigarette smoke in there.
It's possibly fungus.

If the instrument works, better is subjective.

I've had instruments cleaned up before. The "overhaul" is a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Would it be cheaper or better to just have a new indicator made with the correct color bands?

The airspeed overhaul + dial refurb cost me about $200 at www.flyaqi.com/

I'm happy so far but haven't flown much with them yet, maybe 10 hours.

Last edited:
I sent my ASI to AQI, they did a fine job, at a reasonable price, and turnaround time.

The instrument's "hermetic" seal would have to be broken and then resealed (soldered), and leak checked.
They only have a "O" ring to seal the glass.

I'd like every one to note Glen doesn't even know what holds the ASI's glass In.
His A&P College, nor the AirFarce didn't show him and explain that he was not allowed to remove it.

I'd like every one to note Glen doesn't even know what holds the ASI's glass In.
His A&P College, nor the AirFarce didn't show him and explain that he was not allowed to remove it.
Tom, how about knocking it off with the gratuitous insults already?

Every aircraft I've worked on has had MASI's. Tom, you ever even seen one?
Why would I? are they a part of 91 or 43 maintenance ? have you ever read the 100 service manual?

When you can't quote the correct manual, you should STFU, or look stupid, But that just my humble opinion.
as you can see I have the correct manual with up dates.
So,, continue to do the three Rs,, Rant Ramble and Rave about who said what when. Because that seems to be what your best at.

we both been warned, So I'm placing you on Ignore, Please do the same for me.

Attachments

• 20170415_080520.jpg
    20170415_080520.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 18
FTFA = Fixed that For you or otherwise know as he changed my words to read differently than what I wrote, even though what I wrote was what I intended and 100% correct and applicable for the situation.

If he wanted to make the point that ANY instrument, rather than just the ASI which was germane to the discussion needs to be worked on as a repair shop, he could have spoken in his own words rather than editing mine.

Why would I? are they a part of 91 or 43 maintenance ? have you ever read the 100 service manual?

When you can't quote the correct manual, you should STFU, or look stupid, But that just my humble opinion.
as you can see I have the correct manual with up dates.
So,, continue to do the three Rs,, Rant Ramble and Rave about who said what when. Because that seems to be what your best at.

we both been warned, So I'm placing you on Ignore, Please do the same for me.

Bolded text from a guy who calls zinc "zink", claimed ammonia was an acid, and said water wasn't a solvent. Respectfully, please heed your advice about being quiet.

Isn't instrument work "specialized"? AKA, don't mess with it, unless you want a wall ornament.

FTFA = Fixed that For you or otherwise know as he changed my words to read differently than what I wrote, even though what I wrote was what I intended and 100% correct and applicable for the situation.

If he wanted to make the point that ANY instrument, rather than just the ASI which was germane to the discussion needs to be worked on as a repair shop, he could have spoken in his own words rather than editing mine.

Wouldn't that be FTFY rather than FTFA? FTFY is how I've always seen it.

He was the one concerned with copyright infringement, and he violates it on a routine basis.

What does FTFA mean?

You know that guy in the office that starts every sentence with "Actually". e.g. You comment at lunch "It's such a pain to find left handed scissors when I need them, why does the world hate lefties!" and he replies "Actually, the Romans prizes left handed gladiators even though in most cultures left handedness has been looked down upon".

That guy types FTFY and modifies your sentences online. It's one of the most obnoxious things you can do online. No one likes that guy.

Back