Cleaning Epoxy floors

Narwhal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
?
This is the forum to talk about hangars right?

I had my hangar floor redone in epoxy last year. Can anyone share what they use to clean these types of floors? My weak google-fu turned up "hard foam mop" and "diluted ammonia" so I tried that, and it did nothing, actually made a bigger mess I think. I'm guessing my mop was just all wrong (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YD5TB3S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). Just looking to clean up some stains from wet footsteps and a few oil/fuel stains from the aeroplane. What kind of mop? Is dilluted ammonia the go to? Thanks.

And moderate cleaning product should work. Orange cleaner, Simple Green, Power Purple.

Dawn dishwashing soap and water work well also.

The last job where it was my responsibility we used industrial floor cleaner from Aramark and we had one of the ride on floor scrubbers that looked like a little Zamboni. It was a big hangar…

This is the forum to talk about hangars right?

I had my hangar floor redone in epoxy last year...

Ask the company that did the expoxy job?

Last edited:
Sweep, apply appropriate cleaner-degreaser on the spots, scrub if necessary, flood with water, push the water out with a floor squeegie. The diluted residual cleaner will do the job on the rest of the floor.

Avoid acids - they will make the epoxy dull. Everyday cleaning, we use fabuloso (cheaper and better smelling mr clean) and a microfiber mop. Dilute for regular stuff; less dilute for heavier duty cleaning.

as with anything.... the chemical is for the dirt to be cleaned off...not for the surface....depends on what the dirt is.
degreaser won't work well for "not grease", etc...

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. It sounds like spot cleaning/hand scrubbing might be what's necessary.

I don't have an epoxy floor......but I recently had to repair my roof and there was a gap that went unnoticed for a few weeks.
Sparrows invaded my hangar and pooped all over the floor.....actually everywhere.
What I discovered after much scrubbing with water......was vinegar. I just happened to have a gallon and tried it. It was FAST and good for bird poop. It actually cleaned up the concrete pretty well too.

My garage/shop at home uses has an epoxy floor. I wet it down, then either dump on some degreaser or if I’m out of that some of the cheap powdered laundry detergent we get from sams in buckets. Agitate with a broom for the nasty areas, then blast it all out with a pressure washer.

This is pretty much a once/year thing.

Back