Cleaning a brand new windshield

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
Headed down to pick up the airplane (C182) from the maintenance shop and take it back to the home airport and hangar with a brand new windshield.

What is the proper stuff to use to clean windshields?

In the past, I have always just used lemon pledge.

But was wondering what the correct choice was.

I prefer Plexus and kitchen paper towels. Pledge works almost as well.

Prist, lemon pepper ledge, ether or, just make sure you have a fresh microfiber and be careful of the tag on the cloth.

Personally I use pledge, works and smells good.

It's all more or less the same.

I've heard that said for as long as I've had airplanes. Paper towels don't scratch mine. I park outdoors on dirt and I get to clean a haze of dist and grit before every flight. I'm careful not to drive the grit into the plex on the first pass and polish the surface once the grit's gone. It works perfectly. You can scratch a windscreen with the softest cloth if you use it wrong. Grit doesn't scratch windshields until you rub it into the plex.

The big sell for Plexus for me is how it sheds water. Especially fine mist. It does it better than any other product I've tried.

Last edited:
I've heard that said for as long as I've had airplanes. Paper towels don't scratch mine. QUOTE]

Ridiculous, you are TOTALLY FOOLING YOURSELF!
Paper towels and grit have ruined your windshield so badly you don't know what a clean one looks like.
I picked up a box of Dupont AC9165a wipes one time that were advertised to be for windshields (by the shop- not Dupont) and they looked much like the Dupont AC1213WWA towels I had been using. But they felt different, not as soft. Immediately I saw the fuzzy look in the sun and knew there was a problem. Turns out they were NOT for windshields as they had cellulose material in them. The correct ones were pure fabric. Had to polish out the whole canopy to get it cleared up.
Don't buy this guys' advice. Do some research and you'll see why he's completely wrong and will never admit it obviously.
http://www.lpaero.com/sontara.html
http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=3124

FLYING MAG: http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/keep-your-windshield-clean
Paper towels can also be the culprit of damaged windscreens, as can exposure to propeller blast.

The optimal way to clean your windshield is to give it a proper bath. Lots of water and a little dishwashing liquid work well. But make sure you use a clean rag, preferably made of soft cotton or microfiber, to wipe the surface. You can also safely use shop rags, but avoid paper towel or dirty rags. If in doubt, ask if the material can be used on acrylic. It is also important to rub the surface gently straight up and down. Don’t use a circular wiping motion. You may end up with a permanent halo in front of you.

These guys will give you MUCH better advice:
http://www.lpaero.com/careins.html

By the way, Plexus will have you rubbing way more than necessary to get rid of the haze it makes. Gave away a couple cans of that stuff when I found something much better. Of course if your windshield is shot you won't notice.... this stuff works great and wipes off quick: Kleenmaster Brillianize
http://www.brillianize.com/

Last edited:
Before 'cleaning', I like to irrigate well with lots and lots of water (assuming you are allowed to at your airport). After a while with Niagara Falls pushing all the 'heavy' dirt off, continue the water but then use your hand as a wiping tool (no jewelry and only if you don't have 120gt sandpaper hands)
Unless you have insensitive masoner-hands you will feel it before you start grinding dirt into the perspex (unlike if you just started wiping with a non-biological item like a cloth).
Then, use your pledge or preferred approved cleaner and a very clean non abrasive cloth like flannel bed sheet cloths or Viva paper towels (incredibly non-scratchy).

Water, lots of water and microfiber clothes, up and down motions.

Prist, lemon pepper ledge, ether or, just make sure you have a fresh microfiber and be careful of the tag on the cloth.

Personally I use pledge, works and smells good.

It's all more or less the same.
Good microfibers don't have tags.

soap and water. by hand then yellow wax

I have used pledge for years, but the most important thing is a good rag. Either microfiber or 100% Cotton. Be careful of tags and stitching on edges.

Pledge or plexus, and I cut up old cotton undershirts. I spray the shirt a little as well as the windshield. Very light on first pass so you don't grind anything in.

Pledge or plexus, and I cut up old cotton undershirts. I spray the shirt a little as well as the windshield. Very light on first pass so you don't grind anything in.
Why don't simply wash the dirt away first?

Cessna maintenance manual basically says to use the following procedure: Move aircraft to shade. Flood windshield with water and use hand to loosen dirt. Wash the surface with dish soap, again using bare hands. Dry with a clean cloth. Finally, apply wax e.g. turtlewax.

If the windshield is really dirty I would wash it first, but for just a few bugs it seems easy enough as the water source is far from my tie down. If you have water at your hangar life is probably a bunch easier.

you don't take water with you?....when you fly? Hydration is a good thing. :D

surprise, they only recommend their own line of over-priced products................

Nothing of the sort. They recommend water and your fingers and then suggest different classes of cleaners. They don't even mention in the care instructions that they sell any cleaning products (though they indeed do).

http://www.lpaero.com/CAREINS.html

Then what were you saying and why are you being all semi cryptic about it?
Simple, there isn't a single plexiglass manufacturer that recommends using it because of the solvents in it. and soap and water works as well.

In your time as a AP/pilot have you ever seen a windshield or window damaged by lemon pledge?

Lemon pledge changed about 15 years ago (?) from a wax based product to a silicone oil based product. It still works but not like it used to.

Any thoughts on this stuff?

3893_lg.jpg

Don't use it unless you need to. It's a cleaner. Has some very, very fine abrasive. Use only if necessary.
I use 3M products made for show car finishes. But if you read their instructions you'll be fine. Always use the least abrasive product you can and work your way up to the very finest polish. If you polish in a perpendicular motion to the last product polishing motion you'll know when each has removed the previous product's effect. In the end you'll be using the plexus or pledge or, if you know better, Brillianize....!

Back