Class M

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
For those in chat the other night: I'm offically a motorcyclest... now all I need is a motorcycle!

Hum... Kitchen.... motorcycle.... Kitchen... Motorcycle... which one do I need more?

Missa

Hi Missa
I vote for the bike, I just got back from Home Depot on my old Honda. Rode by the airport and said hi to our old friend. Damn I miss him.

Regards Mike

Missa said:
For those in chat the other night: I'm offically a motorcyclest... now all I need is a motorcycle!

Congratulations. You now have a license to learn.

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

Missa said:
Hum... Kitchen.... motorcycle.... Kitchen... Motorcycle... which one do I need more?

Motorcycle...and crash gear. (Dress for the crash, not the ride. ATGATT)

Congrats Missa. Gonna give the guys at OCC a call?

Your thread tittle confused me for a second. When I saw Class M I thought it was going to be a question that would be answered with something like this:

a Class M planet (Class M stands for Minshara-Class, originally a Vulcan term.) is the classification used to refer to a planet that is suitable for supporting humanoid life. They usually have oxygen/nitrogen atmospheres, suitable surface temperatures and plenty of water necessary for life to evolve and survive. Earth is considered a textbook example of a Class M planet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_M_planet

Come to Maine and you can ride mine. I gave the Teddy bear away.
Or, I'm sure, one of these bikers would share.

Congratulations.

HR

Attachments

• 001_1.JPG
    001_1.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 18
  • 017_17.JPG
    017_17.JPG
    537.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 014_14.JPG
    014_14.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 8
Missa said:

Missa
Truck. To carry all your purchases back to the new kitchen

I'd say take the money from the kitchen and the cost of a new Harley and get a nice C172.

How 'bout an old beemer....you can never have too many aircooled horizontally opposed engines :) Plus they will last virtually forever....

Pete
'82 R65

vontresc said:
How 'bout an old beemer....you can never have too many aircooled horizontally opposed engines :) Plus they will last virtually forever....

Pete
'82 R65

I love the old and the new BMW motorcycles. They are great, smooth, not loud like those annoying ones from Wisconsin, and comfortable to drive a long way.

You realize of course that you are putting your medical in jeopardy by owning and riding a donorcycle.

The FAA takes a dim view of people flying airplanes, that have obviously lost their minds.

The last donorcycle rider that i worked as a paramedic really needed his brain bucket, to keep them from being lost entirely on the pavement.

Missa said:
Motorcycle. Who needs a kitchen... except for the microwave. ;)

wesleyj said:
You realize of course that you are putting your medical in jeopardy by owning and riding a donorcycle.
The FAA takes a dim view of people flying airplanes, that have obviously lost their minds.

Locking onesself in a room of infinite safety may keep onesself physically safe, but the FAA still won't issue a medical anyway due to being screaming bonkers insane caused by a total lack of environmental stimulation.

wesleyj said:
The last donorcycle rider that i worked as a paramedic really needed his brain bucket, to keep them from being lost entirely on the pavement.

As far as safety is concerned, psychotic murderous cagers need to learn how to look past the cellphone and DVD player from behind the newspaper while turned around backwards talking to someone in the trunk and quit trying to deliberately run motorcycles over. That would take care of the whopping huge majority of the crashes. The single vehicle crashes can be mostly avoided by proficiency and judgement. The remaining 5% is hard core darwinism in the form of proper crash gear for the occasional fall-off-go-boom. Whether one gets up after the crash and takes a picture of the wreckage or not is determined before mounting up.

There are only two real choices in life: (a) Live life, or (b) just climb into the hole and close the box lid. Choose.

1982 Honda CB650
-----------------------------------
Five Gears, No Reverse, Cruise On...

vontresc said:

Pete
'82 R65

Pete, Man, it really messes up my head to see "my" plane in YOUR avatar! :D :rofl:

wesleyj said:

Whenever motorcycles come up in discussion, there's always someone around to spoil the fun. Life is full of risk. It's all about managing and minimizing it. It doesn't matter if it's flying, driving, or crossing the street. You manage it and maybe you'll get out of life alive and well.
Licensed for 35 years, Thousands of miles, No near misses.

Last edited:
Missa;
If you don't have much experience, start small. Get the formal instruction and join a local club. Some of the best fun you can have is riding in a group.

OK, So for those not in chat, I was taking the Basic Rider Safety course and Finished it off on Sunday. I had a successful skills evaluation at the end of the class and got my license. WOO HOO!

However the class went about 2hrs over the scheduled complete time due to two malfunctioning bikes. They wouldn’t keep running after a long idle. Even if they got going they would stall out in second gear. At first the instructors thought it was the riders and coached them about good clutch usage. At one point the only thing that would get the bikes restarted was, in neutral, full choke, clutch in, running along side the bike fast enough, then hitting the starter. Back in line for the exercise, Idle idle… quit, repeat. One of these bikes was mine. All I learned in the first part of class was how to keep a bike running. So we took an unscheduled break and two mechanics who were taking the class and the instructors tried to get them to work. I really loved shouting “Faster you have to run faster!” at him as he was trying to start one of the bikes the ‘girls’ couldn’t keep running. : ) I was done with the Suzuki at that point and traded it in for a little Kawasaki and had to get a feel for the bike before I had to ride and take the test. Needless to say today I’m SORE after spending a few hours pushing a Suzuki around the range. : (
I liked the course but I think I could have gotten a lot more learning out of it if I had a working bike.

I’ve got a helmet (Full Face) and am working on the rest of the safety gear, I ‘borrowed’ a jacket from a friend (it’s too small for him anyway) but at minimum I still need good gloves, boots (I was using my hiking boots for the class) and probably pants. Where it’s not a formal riding organization. About 5 co-workers here ride together on a regular basis, they all sheparded Ron as he was getting up to speed and they will do the same for me. I just need the Bike first.

A co-workers brother is selling a 1978 Suzuki GS850 for about $600. I was thinking about it before I spent Sunday morning pushing a GS250 around the range now I'm not so sure.

But then I need a Kitchen.

Missa

-edited, because my helmet is full face, I do want one of the convertable full face ones tho.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I will only say this once so as not to sound too "know it al" but please, please, wear a FULL FACED helmet.

I have rode for over 5 years, with many track days and some amateur road-racing thrown in, and nothing short of a full faced helmet is appropriate for riding.

As for bike style, find that which speaks to your soul. Each bike is unique. I have owned/ridden sportbikes, sport-touring bikes, cruisers, dirtbikes, streetfighters, etc. All fo them have their special qualities, however for ME, the one bike I keep coming back too, time and again, is the most amazing Yamaha FJR:

cruz.jpg

fgcason said:
As far as safety is concerned, psychotic murderous cagers need to learn how to look past the cellphone and DVD player from behind the newspaper while turned around backwards talking to someone in the trunk and quit trying to deliberately run motorcycles over.

The one that got me wasn't talking on a cell phone, fiddling with a DVD player or reading a newspaper. But, two of the three didn't exist in 1973. My ankle is still screwed up. However, the helmet is why I'm still here. Laws or no laws, don't ever ride without one.

I only once rode my Beemer without a helmet. I was fiddling with my brakes trying to get them to stop squeaking, and was making a quick test ride around the block. I didn't feel like runing upstairs to grab the hlemet and headed off to check the brakes. Unfortunately it was fal and there were a bunch of wet leaves all around. So now I am a member of the group of riders who have laid down a bike. thankfully I was probably only going 10 mph when I lowsided it, but it scared the bejeezers out of me. So now i only ride with a helmet.

Pete

P.S. Kent stop calling it your plane....didn't you know it is MINE now?

smigaldi said:
I love the old and the new BMW motorcycles. They are great, smooth, not loud like those annoying ones from Wisconsin,

The bikes from Wisconsin are NOT loud from the factory. Folks pay good money to get all that noise.

Bill, R1150RT rider

Missa said:
A co-workers brother is selling a 1978 Suzuki GS850 for about $600. I was thinking about it before I spent Sunday morning pushing a GS250 around the range now I'm not so sure.

Older Suzuki's like the GS series are known to have stator problems.

I'll recommend my standard newbie bike recommendation. Suzuki SV650 standard, new about $6k, plenty of good used ones abound for $3500ish. Tame enough to keep a newbie out of trouble, fun enough to keep even hardcore enthusiasts entertained. New enough that you won't be tinkering with it all the time to keep it running. I had one, sold it, and would like another.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/SV650K6/Default.aspx

For gear, full face helmet, leathers or good synthetic suit (I use Aerostich Roadcrafter), good gloves, good moto boots. Getting your kit toghether will set you back some bucks, but it will save your skin. (Been down twice, no rash each time, full gear).

BTW, Gawd, I love this board. Talkin' planes, bikes, and boats all in one day, doesn't get much better than that. (Unless we start talking guns too :D )

Missa said:
OK, So for those not in chat, I was taking the Basic Rider Safety course and Finished it off on Sunday. I had a successful skills evaluation at the end of the class and got my license. WOO HOO!

That's your license to learn. The safety class and license just gets you up to first solo. That puts you at the very bottom of the learning curve. After that you can learn the skills required to ride safely. There's a huge difference between a controlled parking lot and the warzone on the street. (Hint #1: Cars on side streets/redlights: Watch their hubcaps, not the drivers. Even if they wave you through, consider them liars and watch their hubcaps. The front hubcap on a car will tell you what they're actually going to do next) You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you.

Full face helmet is absolutely required IMNSHO. I've seen plenty of pictures of helmets, and several in person, after someone tumbled off. Most have some really scary scraches on the front and across the visor. If they had been open face helmets, they would have been in the why bother wearing a helmet at all category. Most of the rest of the shell only had glancing blow scratches elsewhere. Gloves, absolutely. Adequately padded jacket then pants. (When you buy stuff, seriously consider upgrading the armor. I like my Kilimanjaro Air but the stock armor, while better than nothing, is in dire need of improvement. The new armor is going to be doubled up between the outside and the current armor for extra protection) Hiking boots are far superior to tennis shoes but if you get stupid and slap your foot on the ground for some reason, you're going to know why people spend $200+ for single use boots. Don't get overly concerned about the price tag. Think functional/practical for the type of riding you do and consider the price as a one time payment for a health insurance policy.
I've been casually looking at flip up helmets lately. If you go that route, do your homework. You want a metal to metal latching mechanism that will make the chin bar one with the main helmet shell. I've run across several that have small plastic pins or latches that IMO would fall apart the first time they fall off the seat much less take a high g impact force.

1979 Suzuki GS 850 G? Isn't that like a 550-600lb machine?
If you have minimal experience and aren't 200+lbs, I'd recommend going with something smaller/lighter to get experience then sell it off and get something bigger. A 250 is a learning toy. Maybe a 450cc something?

My bag of marbles worth:
Don't get more motorcycle than you can handle.
Maintain the motorcycle like it's an airplane. (Preflights before each mount up is mandatory IMNSHO)
Stay off the main busy roads until you get some practical street experience.
Practice slow school and proficiency regularly.
Ride like you fly. When you get in the pilots seat the only thing you are thinking about is the ride, not home, work, social stuff, not anger, not stress...just the ride ahead.
Ride your own ride especially when riding with others. If they stroll off and leave you in their dust, let them. Don't push yourself trying to keep up lest you end up in the ditch. If you find yourself pushing to keep up, it's time to roll the throttle to idle.

Bill Jennings said:
BTW, Gawd, I love this board. Talkin' planes, bikes, and boats all in one day, doesn't get much better than that. (Unless we start talking guns too :D )

This weeks planned activities: I have to go out next to the airport (airplanes) to get my motorcycle (bike) from the storage place then do the carburetor adjustment (tools) and test ride somewhere semi-local which will be the gun range (guns) to shoot for a while. Later this week or early next week is a run halfway up Pikes Peak (adventure ride) on the motorcycle in search of lakes (boats) with the camera (photography) looking for early tree color changes.
In a week or so I am likely to be making a week long roadtrip where I will be camping(outdoors stuff) with the motorcycle..and the gun will obviously be going on that trip by default.

How's that?

About all I have to say is wear the best gear that you can afford. Never, ever, ever, ride without a helmet. If you do this consider yourself dead.

Watch every car. Every car that you see IS going to jump in your lane and shove you off into the shoulder. Every car IS going to pull out in front of you.

About once a week I have a car merge into me. No longer will I sit by any vehicle in another lane. I always downshift into a lower gear that has power so that I can quickly accelerate if they come into my lane. Every time I come up on an intersection where a car could pull out in front of me..Off comes the throttle. I cover the brakes and get ready.

I've done a lot of riding in all conditions. The above has kept me alive.

Old? Norton 850 Combat Commando.

Newer? Any Ducati SS.

Maybe you should use the money for flying? :)

jangell said:
About all I have to say is wear the best gear that you can afford. Never, ever, ever, ride without a helmet. If you do this consider yourself dead.

Watch every car. Every car that you see IS going to jump in your lane and shove you off into the shoulder. Every car IS going to pull out in front of you.

About once a week I have a car merge into me. No longer will I sit by any vehicle in another lane. I always downshift into a lower gear that has power so that I can quickly accelerate if they come into my lane. Every time I come up on an intersection where a car could pull out in front of me..Off comes the throttle. I cover the brakes and get ready.

I've done a lot of riding in all conditions. The above has kept me alive.
I regard riding like flying, always leave yourself a out. Where will I go when this jacka** pulls out in front of me. It will happen at some point when riding a bike. I enjoy it but I pay close attention to those who are around me.

Be Safe Mike

Anthony said:
Old? Norton 850 Combat Commando.

Newer? Any Ducati SS.

Maybe you should use the money for flying? :)

Flying costs me about $40/hr... So it's really hard to fly that much. Even with flying all I can, I have money left over.

CapeCodJay said:
I'd say take the money from the kitchen and the cost of a new Harley and get a nice C172.

Why?!?!?! I am in a club that cost me $40/hr to fly anicely maintained C172 w/ 180hp STC or an Archer II. Why would I take on all the cost of OWNING a Highwing that isn't an areobatic tailwheel? I can't own a plane cheeper the I can fly the club planes and the Archer is always open whenever I want it. The only thing I may want to buy is a GPS since neither have one, but then I can just borrow my bosses Garmin 496.

fgcason said:
1979 Suzuki GS 850 G? Isn't that like a 550-600lb machine?
If you have minimal experience and aren't 200+lbs, I'd recommend going with something smaller/lighter to get experience then sell it off and get something bigger. A 250 is a learning toy. Maybe a 450cc something?

Well I only have minimal experiance but I am 200+lbs, people who see me don't belive that but the scale don't lie. I've not sat on it or rode it yet but I'm trying to arrange that and any purchase is dependent on me feeling that I can comfotably control it. The only reason I'm leaning toward this one is that: I can have it now, and for the price it's a throw away bike. If anything happends to it, it won't be a big thing.

I have a full face helmet, and will always ride with it. Thanks for the tip on the flip up helment. If I get serious about one I'll look for the metal latch. I figured the hiking boots were good enough for the closed coures to determine if I was any good and liked it. Now I need to invest in a good pair of boots. I had the helmet because I've been a frequent passenger and I got it barly used from a freind of my mom's.

vontresc said:
So now I am a member of the group of riders who have laid down a bike.

I'm already a member of that club. I was doing the 'two u turns in a box' excercise in class. I didn't counterweight enough and down the bike went, but only the bike. I did a very pritty dismount as it was going down and promptly picked it's finky butt back up and remounted. The instuctor commented 'nice catch'. I was going slower then a walking pace, but it still went down.

Missa

Drove for over 34 years - started with a Yamaha Twin-Jet 100cc when I was 14, then a Honda 175, Honda 360, Honda 750-K, Honda Gold wing Interstate and finally a Honda Gold Wing Aspencade. I have covered both coasts of North America and many diagonals in between. Could do 1,000+ miles a day on the GW. Finally sold the Aspencade 3 years ago as I was flying too much and not using the bike. In addition the places I wanted to go were far away and would take too much time to get to.

Now I fly there and rent a Harley. Avatar is taken outside the Cottontail Ranch/Brothel in Nevada on our way to Death Valley (no - I didn't go in!:D )

Picking the right bike is the same as picking the right plane - $ and defining your mission.

bstratt said:
Picking the right bike is the same as picking the right plane - $ and defining your mission.

$ right now as little as possible becuase anything I spend puts finishing the kitchen off.

Misson: First and formost getting comfortable riding and develping the skills to be safe. Definally a good weather commuter vehicle. I work 7 miles from home and it's actually a hassel to fire up the car evey day (plus bikes get front row parking). Once my skills are up to it, the other primary misson will be curvey mountin after work rides with a Goldwing, Shadow 650, Vrod and whatever Forrest is riding that day to whatever ice cream place the motorcycles find. Eventually (but would be ok need a new bike by this) I would want it to be capible of a few longer haul weekend trips mainly from PA to MI and OH to visit family or other similar distance trips. Just so that getting there will be as much fun as being there.

Missa

Ghery said:
The one that got me wasn't talking on a cell phone, fiddling with a DVD player or reading a newspaper. But, two of the three didn't exist in 1973. My ankle is still screwed up. However, the helmet is why I'm still here. Laws or no laws, don't ever ride without one.

And that, "Gee, I didn't even see you" statement so frequently heard wears a bit thin...........

HR

I LOVED my Triumph Legend GT 1180CC 3 Cyl. and lots of cruising fun.

However the last year I was an embalmer/FD I had 4 motorcycler accidents with 3 of the victims younger then me :(

But, like everything else there is risk in what you do.

Have fun, and in the airmen's code "Be Safe"!

CapeCodJay said:
I LOVED my Triumph Legend GT 1180CC 3 Cyl. and lots of cruising fun.

Humm, I'm not sure I can trust your oppinion on stuff like this... afterall, you like highwings and Continentals! ;)

Missa

Lawreston said:
And that, "Gee, I didn't even see you" statement so frequently heard wears a bit thin...........

HR

Worse. He blew a stop sign at about 30 mph and said "I thought I had a green light."

Back