Class D Procedure

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
If I am landing at Lincoln Park (N07) on Runway 1, how do I deal with both Class D for Caldwell CDW, and pattern communications? Looking at the terminal chart, it looks like the base to final will be just inside the Class D, which would be a bad time to just be on the tower frequency.

If I am landing at Lincoln Park (N07) on Runway 1, how do I deal with both Class D for Caldwell CDW, and pattern communications? Looking at the terminal chart, it looks like the base to final will be just inside the Class D, which would be a bad time to just be on the tower frequency.

Call in to Caldwell Tower on 119.8 when you're over Wanaque Reservoir with your position and just inform them of your intentions, they're very easy to work with.

Call the tower and tell them you're landing at Lincoln Park. They probably won't need to keep you on tower frequency.

Call the tower with your intentions,they will probably give you permission,to enter the class D and have you change over to Lincoln Park.

Call the tower and tell them you're landing at Lincoln Park. They probably won't need to keep you on tower frequency.
Not just "probably" -- they definitely won't keep you. Even when you're on the RNAV 1 approach, NY Approach hands you to CDW tower, then tower lets you go to CTAF when you call "field in sight" a few miles south of Lincoln Park. AFAIK, those staying in the pattern stay on CTAF, too.

What would the best procedure be if you were based at Lincoln Park (N07) and we're going to do some laps in the pattern? When would you call Caldwell's (CDW) tower?

"We can't wait, to burn it to the grouuuuuuund!"

Ooops. That's Linkin Park. My bad.

What would the best procedure be if you were based at Lincoln Park (N07) and we're going to do some laps in the pattern? When would you call Caldwell's (CDW) tower?
Since T&G's are prohibited, not many folks do that (it would have to be full-stop/taxi-back -- too short/obstructed for stop-and-go's), but based on what I've heard in the pattern there when flying in for lunch (the Sunset Pub & Grill is outstanding), they just stay on CTAF and keep it tight at the south end.

Most locals just keep a tight pattern when near the D. I think there is a local agreement to do this and not call Caldwell. They can be busy at times and dont need the extra radio calls. Just dont stray to far off the end of the runway at Lincoln Park. Agree with Ron, Sunsetters is great place. We go often.

Mike

Since T&G's are prohibited, not many folks do that (it would have to be full-stop/taxi-back -- too short/obstructed for stop-and-go's), but based on what I've heard in the pattern there when flying in for lunch (the Sunset Pub & Grill is outstanding), they just stay on CTAF and keep it tight at the south end.

+1 on Sunset Pub & Grill, absolutely love it.

Call the tower with your intentions,they will probably give you permission,to enter the class D and have you change over to Lincoln Park.

Wow! You guys live right or have great controllers then. I tried that maneuver landing Stinson in San Antonio (KSSF) asking permission to transition Lackland - denied. Also tried it in Arizona landing Glendale with permission to transition Goodyear (also denied).

Wow! You guys live right or have great controllers then. I tried that maneuver landing Stinson in San Antonio (KSSF) asking permission to transition Lackland - denied. Also tried it in Arizona landing Glendale with permission to transition Goodyear (also denied).

From my experience in the tri-state area controllers tend to be quite accommodating.

We don't call KCDW when landing or flying closed traffic at N07... Keep your pattern tight and you won't be in Caldwell's Class D at all. I also never heard anyone else do this over the last 2 years I've been flying out of KCDW. My 2c.

Yep, I did some of my ab initio at CDW. The N07 guys were almost never on the tower frequency. We were constantly keeping an eye out. Crazy airspace around there.

That is tight.

My local airport also has a tight squeeze for an uncontrolled field right up tight against a class D. I am sure I've witnessed many incursions into D-space. I've seen a number of planes depart to the N and NW that I'm sure have clipped that corner.

Attachments

• KCDW.jpg
    KCDW.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 22
  • KIXD.jpg
    KIXD.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 22
I was based at N07 for 2-3 years and never called KCDW tower unless weather required me to shoot the KCDW LOC22 Approach Circle-to-land runway 19 @N07.

That is tight.

My local airport also has a tight squeeze for an uncontrolled field right up tight against a class D. I am sure I've witnessed many incursions into D-space. I've seen a number of planes depart to the N and NW that I'm sure have clipped that corner.

Having flown out of both CDW and IXD quite a bit I agree they are very similar. That said, IXD is ghost town compared to CDW.

Having flown out of both CDW and IXD quite a bit I agree they are very similar. That said, IXD is ghost town compared to CDW.

IXD has its moments, and K34 does too. But they don't ever seem to be very busy at the same time.

Back