Class D airspace

loch1957

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James
I fly out of a non towered airport but today I got thrown a curve. My CFI took me to Dallas Executive to do touch and gos. Flying the pattern at a controllers request is odd to say the least. It was easier than I expected, my CFI said I only dropped the plane once so I could fly the mic. It seems the more I learn the more I realize I dont know enough yet. I'm loving every minute!!!!

KRBD is a nice place... there's a good eatery on the field if you get hungry and are ready to take a break.

Come visit KAFW or KDTO sometime!

Congrats on class D.

Like class d ,they watch the traffic for you most of the time.

If you get a chance to stop next time - call the tower and ask if they have a few minutes for you to come up for a visit.

My CFI told them I was a student, they seemed to mix it up for my benefit. I enjoyed it a lot, well until he called my base and let me fly down wind for ever and had me do a 360 so a jet could depart. I defiantly need more practice, on my own with no CFI last thing I want is to get frustrated. I need to relax more, I just don't want to be an idiot up there.

Just remember the magic words, "student pilot". Your CFI used them and you saw the difference. I got great treatment from controllers whernever I felt I needed to use those words.

Just remember the secret to getting to Carnegie Hall.

And enjoy these times.

im the opposite of you. i fly out of a busy class D airport and get nervous when i fly to uncontrolled fields.

im the opposite of you. i fly out of a busy class D airport and get nervous when i fly to uncontrolled fields.

Yep, my class D students freak out over non-towered fields, and my non-tower students freak out over class D. Eventually, they all master both.

I'm based at a class D, but most of the other airports I fly to are non-towered. So I get a mixture. Class D airports are a good place to learn to talk to ATC. Typically not busy enough to scare you, but enough activity that you get good practice. And one of these years I ought to see if our guys are up for a visit.

...I'm down in the Austin area...was going to fly my Dad and I up to KRBD last Sunday for an in/out to see a 5pm Dallas Stars hockey game. Of course, the weather is gorgeous on Saturday and Monday...and completely ****ty on Sunday. I couldn't help but be frustrated after an hour or so of driving knowing that if I were flying I'd already be there. :)

I fly out of KGTU, which is Class D and my CFI made me do all the radio stuff from my first lesson. That said, most everything else around here is non-towered so I get a lot of practice there too. It was weird going there the first time and down here on 122.8 or 122.9 you'll pickup 4-5 airports sharing the frequency so the radio will be chatty even if there's not a soul coming or going from your destination airport.

My passengers are the one's that can't comprehend an airport with no control tower. :)

Last edited:
Good to get a solid dose of busy airport and a solid dose of nordo flying.

Yup, when I started I did most of my flying from an uncontrolled airport. Those big circles on the map were intimidating at the time.

I started in a class D airport. So when I go to untowered airport's I love it cause it's easy to say what I want and not get judged if I mess up lol.

I enjoy class B though because it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.

I am sure most towers are like this but like Aggie Mike, I fly to KAFW and KDTO and the tower staff are super nice. The tower at AFW actually coached me through some of my responses early on. And at DTO if they are not to busy they will work with you as well. I was curious so I said to the tower "shoot me some light gun signals on final" I had no idea what they looked like.

The man in the tower started flashing them at me and asking "What does this one mean?" was fun.

FYI; both KDTO and KAFW tower crews are very willing to host a visit if you ask them on frequency as you taxi in. I encourage the OP to take advantage of visiting when he is able.

And at KAFW, ask to do the pattern drill sometime. Some good practice responding correctly and safely to out of the ordinary instructions from the tower to assist them with spacing and sequencing.

And let's not forget about "ATIS Information Bubba"

"in the little window thing that tells you how high you are."

Hahahaha, that was great.

I started my training and do most of it out of a towered airport (KSTS in Santa Rosa). I can see how it could be a little intimidating at first for those that aren't used to them.

I'm honestly glad that I started with them, sure I've made some mistakes over the airwaves, but I really think that it's contributed to my confidence in the plane. I've found that having to make all my calls to the tower has just helped me to be more aware of what's happening at all times.

I think one thing that happens with a lot of us when we are not used to the tower is we tend to think of it as nothing more than an authority figure watching us every minute, when the intention is really to HELP us. Most controllers I've worked with are very polite and eager to do their job. Also, it's amazing how saying "student pilot" or "unfamiliar with your airspace" can help them do their job and adapt their instructions to you.

At times I've gotten myself into a little trouble by talking too confidently over the radio, giving the controller the impression that I'm very experienced and then they'll talk even faster than I did and I wind up having to get lots of clarification when I can't interpret fast enough.

My CFI emphasizes that it's important to listen to all transmissions, not just those intended for you, and that has helped me a lot. I'll be midfield on the downwind and hear a jet report a 3 mile final and get straight in clearance, after hearing that I can start looking for it so hopefully I can say "traffic in sight" in my response to instructions to extend downwind or maybe a 360 for spacing, it's really helped me anticipate what's going to happen before I get the call from ATC.

Mike, I bought a Piper 140 at Denton DTO.

Funny story, I was working on my PPL and drove to Denton with my wife and Instructor to check out the plane. All was good until we were landing. As we were about to flare the Yoke broke in half in my instructors hands. I grabbed my yoke and landed the plane. After the shock wore off he joked about who was going to log that landing.

FYI; both KDTO and KAFW tower crews are very willing to host a visit if you ask them on frequency as you taxi in. I encourage the OP to take advantage of visiting when he is able.

And at KAFW, ask to do the pattern drill sometime. Some good practice responding correctly and safely to out of the ordinary instructions from the tower to assist them with spacing and sequencing.

Mesquite Metro (KHQZ) is changing from uncontrolled to Class D Feb. 6 2014

Why, oh why can't the identifier for Mesquite be KBBQ?

While I get the joke, Mesquite isn't known around these parts for that type of food. Stephenville, Llano, or Lockhart are more suited for KBBQ.

A better selection would be KRDO since Mesquite is better known for http://www.mesquiterodeo.com/

Im in a unique area where I fly from an uncontrolled field but I have to get clearance to leave the pattern. It has been very good to learn at a place where you are required to talk to approach controllers all day long.

Eglin and Tyndall AFB for those who are curious

I would love to go up in a tower, bet it gives a new dimension to everything.

Yeah - those seasoned pros in their Hawaiian shirts, shoes kicked off, feet up on the desk, cup of coffe in one hand, and mic in the other.

Where in Texas are you again?
I will echo what AggieMike said. I have been up in the DTO tower twice.
It is amazing to watch them.

I wouldn't last one day. The level of multitasking is incredible.
Very nice folks in that tower.

Where in Texas are you again?

With his Class D experience being at KRBD, I am going to guess the SE Quadrant of D/FW metroplex

And mutli-tasking ability of the DTO controllers spot on. Don't forget, as far as single runway airports go, Denton is the is the second busiest after San Diego in total operations.

And a big +1 to them for being able to understand broken chinese.

Im in a unique area where I fly from an uncontrolled field but I have to get clearance to leave the pattern. It has been very good to learn at a place where you are required to talk to approach controllers all day long.

Eglin and Tyndall AFB for those who are curious

Was going to say, must be based at DTS or nearby.

I fly out of KLNC I didnt get yo fly today or Saturday. it was way to windy.

I fly out of KLNC I didnt get yo fly today or Saturday. it was way to windy.

If you haven't done so already, go visit Dallas Air Salvage next door to KLNC. Interesting operation and some good folks to get to know.

Back