Class D airports, "air rights," and noise sensitive neighbors

I think you picked the wrong crowd to pitch your in-laws argument.

Kinda like getting on a PETA forum and asking how to best cook a steak.

If some people would get some perspective, act human for once, actually read what is posted, and listen, something helpful might come out. As it is I had to fight to get anyone to see that she wasn't complaining about the noise, and only one poster has actually been helpful in getting this figured out. So thank you to them, shame on the rest of you.

Not everything that happens fits into your own little preconceived box.

If some people would get some perspective, act human for once, actually read what is posted, and listen, something helpful might come out. As it is I had to fight to get anyone to see that she wasn't complaining about the noise, and only one poster has actually been helpful in getting this figured out. So thank you to them, shame on the rest of you.

Sentence 2 of your OP
She is complaining about low-flying jets

My questions in post #9 were intended to be helpful. I’m sorry if you did not view it that way.

I was just being matter of fact. I spared any personal opinion. However, I stand by my assessment that you’re up against a tough crowd with your concerns.

There are very likely people on this forum that have been personally affected by airport closures due to people with your in-laws’ sentiment.

She bought a house near an airport that has some noise from the airport. Live with it or move, but like you said in your op she wants to “either get paid or stop the flights”.

She thought other people were getting a kiss (from the government) and she was looking for her kiss, that's what I read from it. Ask not what your country..... oh never mind.

I think you picked the wrong crowd to pitch your in-laws argument.

Kinda like getting on a PETA forum and asking how to best cook a steak.
He wasn't "pitching" her argument. He was asking for help in defusing it.

"...how can I defuse this?"

It's called an "avigation easement". Was there a runway extension at the time her neighbors were paid? Where is she in reltion to the part 77 imaginary surface associated with the airport?

Typically this easement prevents land owners from building into the imaginary surfaces so that approaches are not affected. Sounds like she's outside of that area.
Or the avigation easements were bought only from people who had trees etc that penetrated one of the imaginary surfaces, in which case the payment would be to allow the airport to come onto their property periodically to trim or remove trees.

Back