Class B Ops... You Can Do It

Depends on the Bravo, NYC was easy, Philly and Chicago are nearly impossible and Cincinnati is in between

Depends on the Bravo, NYC was easy, Philly and Chicago are nearly impossible and Cincinnati is in between

You just gotta sweet talk 'em. I got a controller guided tour of Philly. The controller pointed out landmarks as I flew down towards the airport along 76, and and then up the Delaware. I guess it's my charm. :D

First trip they were pleasant but way too busy to have expected anything more than the IFR guidance into PNE, second was "Cessna calling remain clear!"

So we just climbed over top! The 121 captain next to me couldn't resist "checking in at 8.5 over the top"

You just gotta sweet talk 'em. I got a controller guided tour of Philly. The controller pointed out landmarks as I flew down towards the airport along 76, and and then up the Delaware. I guess it's my charm. :D

Didn't sweet talk them but they were very accommodating when I was back there over the summer.

Had a work colleague the just got his private last spring and we went for a ride from Chester County to Atlantic City... I didn't want to get close the Joe Biden TFR in Wilmington so we headed a little north came around and got cleared.

I did the initial call up and he handled it from there and did the initial call on the way back... Tells me has only been denied once since and tells me whenever he heads to the "shore" this is the way he goes.

Last edited:
Once, when NorCal denied me a Class B transition through KSFO, they offered a Class C transition through KOAK. Which ended up being a really good sightseeing leg and only a few minutes longer. They didn't have to do that; I was prepared to go around both airspaces. Prior to that, I had assumed KOAK wouldn't like transitions, as the airspace is rather tight. Class C tops out at 2000, not 4000 as it usually does, so the altitudes are really low.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem getting the class C transition over the 29 numbers at OAK, although I haven't done it recently.

Quick tip, check your gyro against your compass before calling in.
what if I have a slaved HSI?

I know I know - check it anyway.

Break

There is Class B and C airspace when I'm flying IFR? Who knew?!

Last edited:
I've only been denied entry into Boston's Class B twice. The first was when I was a primary student and flew almost the entire way from MVY back to ASH under the hood on my second dual XC. I was doing pretty well by the end but at the beginning trying to track the MVY VOR outbound I'm sure I was wiggling around quite a bit learning how to track the VOR. We went over the top at 8.5 and kept tracking the VOR.

The second time was returning from Hyannis with my wife. Near Plymouth the controller I was getting flight following with was very, very busy. He was handling airline after airline, nonstop talking, regional jets failing to follow directions, the whole mess. I got in a "52667 level 6500 request brava transition" very quick on initial callup and all I got was "roger". Eventually I could see an airliner approach from the left about to cross in front of us and sure enough a rapid fire traffic call out came "Cardinal 667 traffic 11:00 two miles an Embraer" which I was able to quickly respond with "Traffic in sight 667". A JetBlue Embraer passed above and in front of us giving a great view (the controller was too busy to point out the traffic, even). I told Abby that if we got to a particular point without getting the clearance I'd hang a left and sure enough I reached that point. I maintained altitude and stayed clear of the Bravo. After around 5 minutes there was a lull and the controller offered unsolicited "cleared into the Boston Bravo airspace maintain 6500 fly heading 320". When he handed me off the next sector (over Bedford) was dead quiet and I was immediately cleared direct Nashua.

Don't fear the Bravo. Controllers are pros.

whats is a class B/C transition? I file ifr and just fly whatever i am cleared for. no biggie.

Is your aircraft certified for flight into known icing?

Also, when I compare the number of aircraft registrations to the number of active pilots, it appears that many pilots rent, and the Hobbs meter is ticking away the dollars while we're sitting in the runup area waiting for a clearance.

Is your aircraft certified for flight into known icing?

Also, when I compare the number of aircraft registrations to the number of active pilots, it appears that many pilots rent, and the Hobbs meter is ticking away the dollars while we're sitting in the runup area waiting for a clearance.

Yes it is fiki certified.However, I dont fly into known icing or thunderstorms. UNABLE is something I will use if necessary. And yes getting charged by the hobbs sucks! as airplanes usually get the bulk of the wear and tear and gas burn when flying (tach/flight time meter), not on the ramp idling.

Back