Class 3 to Class 1 Medical Certificate

Michael Townsend

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lakeside1!
My Special Issuance 3rd Class medical certificate has finally arrived after 14 months. SI due to past anti-depressant medication but stopped taking them over 2 years ago. Accidentally applied for 3rd Class medical as I need a Class 1 to continue my Commercial career goals.

Since I have successfully completed all the required testing for Class 1 except the Class 1 Medical exam, Can I get the exam from my AME and then receive a Class 1?
Does the AME have to submit results to DC for the Class to be changed?
Does the HIMS AME have to also be involved in upgrading to a Class 1?
Will this take a lot of time as I'm trying to sign up for summer flight blocks?

Thx, Appreciate your help.

Not a Doc, but I do not think there is such a thing as an upgrade to a Med Cert.
You can schedule an exam anytime you like for your choice of Class. The time remaining on your previous cert afaik would have no bearing on the expiration of the new cert.

The other aspects of your other questions are probably more relevant and best answered by somebody else.

Is it important to have the Class 1 before the Class 3 expires normally? When does the SI need to be renewed?

You only need the class 1 or 2 once you have your commercial certificate and want to operate (not train) on that certificate. I may be mistaken but I think you're already 14 months into your class 3 med certificate anyway, which would carry you through the summer without needing to do anything.

Last edited:
I don't buy the accidental bit, but still meme worthy like you read about.
upload_2023-4-17_10-29-10.png

How long until you get your ATP?

Worry about the Class 1 then.

Wonder if the medical is an aviation university program requirement.

If so, I wouldn’t be signing up for classes without the correct paper in hand.

SI Class 3 is good to February 2024. Class 1 Medical certificate required by University. No flight time until I have it.

Setting up Class 1 medical exam in the next few weeks. I hope the AME can issue a class 1.

SI Class 3 is good to February 2024. Class 1 Medical certificate required by University. No flight time until I have it.

Setting up Class 1 medical exam in the next few weeks. I hope the AME can issue a class 1.

Maybe ask the AME for a consult first. Ask how many of these types of cases he’s done in the past. Bring in everything you have related to the history, diagnosis, documentation from your last exam and SI and the SI letter. Ask the AME what you need to do to get the 1st class. Find out if it can be done before the exam, so you’ll have current documentation submitted with the application, even if it’s a deferral.

In short, set yourself up for success.

Mistakenly applied for 3rd Class medical as I need a Class 1 to continue my Commercial career goals.

FIFY

Think of this as just another college exam. Unfortunately, you flunked.

Hope you can get it corrected, but this is not the time for halfway measures. As @TCABM says, get everything together, present as strong a case as possible, and make it easy for the AME.

But what if it doesn't pan out? What if you have a long delay to get the first class? In short, what's your backup plan? A good pilot always has alternatives in a flight plan, and this is the time for you to start thinking that way. Can you arrange to knock out some other college classes while waiting? Can you go to an independant flight school and get started with flight training? Get those paths identified now, so you're not in a panic if the medical proves to be a bigger issue than you hope.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back